JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't know about longevity but every time I get behind a ford 7.3 it stinks like hell. If you don't need diesel I would go with a tundra v8. Have one with 367k and no repairs since new and it literally feels and drives like a truck with 50k miles on it max. Several examples out there with over 1 million miles with just basic maintenance no engine or tranny repairs or even stuff like alternators.

I keep hearing stories of "I had to replace this and that" on other brands and that stuff adds up. Maybe you need more than 10-11k towing though I don't know.

Looking out upon the fruited plains, most diesel pickup drivers seem to be most concerned with it making their wallet look bigger while slimming their morbid obesity.
So don't do that.

Lulz

Looking out upon the fruited plains, most diesel pickup drivers seem to be most concerned with it making their wallet look bigger while slimming their morbid obesity.
So don't do that.

Lulz
I'm a healthy 180lbs, can say with confidence that the owner before me was a hefty dude as the assprint on the seat is about x2 as wide as me

My 03 is coming up on 45k, I bought my Dodge 2500 with retirement plans that never happened. Only driving it gets is to the range or lunch with friends so it should last me the rest of my life. :)

My 03 is coming up on 45k, I bought my Dodge 2500 with retirement plans that never happened. Only driving it gets is to the range or lunch with friends so it should last me the rest of my life. :)
What the hell ??? you only got 45 thousand miles on a 2003 5.9 ..they aren't even getting broke-in till 20 thousand miles ....LOL .. it is NOT uncommon for the old 5.9 turbo's to do 350-K .
03 was a good year with the 5.9's. i think 03 Cummins that was the last year for actual haveing manual stick linkage on the floor for 4X engagement . That was also the 03 was 1st year Cummins/Dodge went quiet.. all years before that . It sounding like you were running a Backhoe siting at a stoplight .

My '06 2500 Cummins purchased new by me the fall that year, has 75k miles on it. Still a nice truck, sits in the garage mostly, but I appreciate it when I need to tow or haul something, or when I'm traveling over the mountains.

Similarly, hoping mine doesn't age out before I do. Not looking to spend what it costs to replace it for an item used so seldomly.

What the hell ??? you only got 45 thousand miles on a 2003 5.9 ..they aren't even getting broke-in till 20 thousand miles ....LOL .. it is NOT uncommon for the old 5.9 turbo's to do 350-K .
03 was a good year with the 5.9's. i think 03 Cummins that was the last year for actual haveing manual stick linkage on the floor for 4X engagement . That was also the 03 was 1st year Cummins/Dodge went quiet.. all years before that . It sounding like you were running a Backhoe siting at a stoplight .
I bought it new in 03 with the idea it would be paid for when I retired and I would buy a new RV to drag around the country. Wife died of cancer at age 58 and after 40 years with her it crushed my plans.

Truck has been rock solid in what driving I do. Time has made some things wear out but tires are new and bought two new batteries recently. My biggest complaint about Dodge is the cab, the dashboard cracked and its annoying to look at. :confused:

I have treated the diesel and used power punch in the engine, it is very quiet for a diesel.

I bought it new in 03 with the idea it would be paid for when I retired and I would buy a new RV to drag around the country. Wife died of cancer at age 58 and after 40 years with her it crushed my plans.

Truck has been rock solid in what driving I do. Time has made some things wear out but tires are new and bought two new batteries recently. My biggest complaint about Dodge is the cab, the dashboard cracked and its annoying to look at. :confused:

I have treated the diesel and used power punch in the engine, it is very quiet for a diesel.
sorry to hear abut the wife .

' All ' the dashes UV damage cracked and crumbled on the 03's, But of course none never cracked crumbled to dust till after the factory warranty expired...lol
Mine 03 3500 Dash looks like Shizt, and I getting a repair cover/overlay kit to put over it this summer. all the reviews say there GTG for a quality fix. easy to do also.

Change Oil often.. and Best thing for you to do for that 5.9 is change full filter ( every year ), and drain the fuel out the bottom using the water drain. Before you drop the new filter in , This--> fill it up with Seafoam then drop new fuel filter in, cap it back off. then run and keep the injectors clean . pretty common to get factory injectors to go full life of 5.9's if kept clean. I will also dump a can of seafoam i tank every other fill-up .

Don't worry about Valve Adjustment till after 80-K or sometime before hitting 100-K, valve clearance is pretty liberal on the Cummins. but when they grow in tolerance, they do get a little loud 'Clacky '

Anything with DEF should be avoided. Unless you are okay with doing a "delete" the DEF trucks are the worst.

Also, if you are looking at something newer from the early 2000's until now, make sure it doesn't have a trouble prone high pressure fuel pump. Several brands have suffered catastrophic fuel pump issues that are extremely expensive to repair. I think it's affected all 3 brands at some point.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews