JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was in my mid twenties, on a whim I did a 16 mile hike with a 45lb pack and a *cough* heavy tool. It was uphill half way. I only had a bout 16 oz. of Gatorade, it was a summer day, though it did start raining after I got to the top. I walked down with a poncho on. It took me about 5 hours.

I'm a bit older now, but am considering trying for a 40 mile hike with a 45 lb pack, limiting myself to 20 hours to complete it, in rough terrain, without food, with boots. Apparently this is very hard to do, many people cannot. It takes some preparation, hardening of feet, legs and shoulders by standing 12 hours a day and carrying a heavy pack 12 hours a day to harden the body parts that are hit hard during this kind of activity. At least from the research I've done on it.

6 miles at once and around 10 miles for the day total while hunting so a lot of it was thru brush.

As you mentioned, if I wanted to go further I would have to put in some time adjusting my body for it.

Went in about 4 miles into a road closed unit, shot an elk around 8:30am, packed out a hind quarter first, ran it home (about a 1 mile drive?), back in.
Packed out another and the boned out shoulders and back to the house,,, and then back in with a bivvie sack and grub and crashed a couple of yards away from the hanging meat. Next morning, packed out all the boned out back straps, neck, rib meat and head , which if you've never packed out an elk is usually the heaviest load.
I was a little younger then, 49.
It was a handful but it was what it was and I did it with a chit eating grin,,,,, most of the way:D
Hell, I'd do it every year if I got so lucky!

60# rucksack with full combat loadout, 25 mile "hike" to "fun and games".

30# rucksack with full kit, 15 mile timed (and forced) road march (on a blown knee) to graduate Air Assault School... I graduated.

15 miles a day everyday for a month (nearly two continuous weeks of that w/o provisions) while "snoopin' & poopin'" undetected (pre-GPS days) in an undisclosed Central American jungle.

Then there's all the training road marches I can't begin to count.... all during my 20's.

Am I glad that sheite is over! ;)

Went in about 4 miles into a road closed unit, shot an elk around 8:30am, packed out a hind quarter first, ran it home (about a 1 mile drive?), back in.
Packed out another and the boned out shoulders and back to the house,,, and then back in with a bivvie sack and grub and crashed a couple of yards away from the hanging meat. Next morning, packed out all the boned out back straps, neck, rib meat and head , which if you've never packed out an elk is usually the heaviest load.
I was a little younger then, 49.
It was a handful but it was what it was and I did it with a chit eating grin,,,,, most of the way:D
Hell, I'd do it every year if I got so lucky!
its crazy that a whole boned out deer fits in two game bags comfortably and can easilly be packed out in one trip. i carried out an elk hind quarter and 1 backstrap 6 miles last year and about killed me. i have bad shoulders...have broken both my collar bones and the frame pack was an old one with thin straps. poor me. the elk tasted mighty fine tho!!

an elk hind quarter(bone in) is NOT light.

A bunch.

Longer ones were a hike of the Long Trail in Vermont S->N, 3 weeks, and the John Muir trail (a PCT section) North to South, 3 weeks.

Those were a while ago. Were I to do them again, I'd ease into them with a bunch of weekenders.

Not sure I'd find no food enjoyable, so I personally wouldn't do it, not even as a test or a challenge or as a bet (and I don't bet).

If it should come to pass where I'd *HAVE TO* hike that far without food, either I would, or I wouldn't. Pretty simple really.

Kinda like Stomper, another branch, SSDD
Every Marine a Rifleman...
egaEnlisted-300x300.gif

Last Edited:
Never weighed packs in the Army.

60-65# was normal when solo backpacking in the early 70's with a Kelty frame pack. About the same in the 80's with a Lowe internal frame pack. Longest solo hike was 9 days in the Olympics. Did the Bailey Range traverse in the Olympics with my brother Mark. Did another traverse from Cascade Pass to Glacier Peak with two friends: ended up sharing food with a group that had run out. When work became a full-time office job and I quit running, the weight around my middle started accumulating, and the backpacking trips got less ambitious with each passing year.

Like a few others, 25 miles with a 100lb+ pack and gear in 8 hours - can't remember how many laps around the airfield at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station. The last time on active duty was in 1993.

In 2004 I was in Germany and hiked the perimeter of Franfurt international airport in a long day; about 20 to 22 miles and had a 20 pound or so pack.

We had to do 50# for 5 miles within one hour. Flat. Some time ago. Did it but it definitely indicated a higher level of conditioning was required. Now kinda old but still a doable goal if one is motivated.

Back in about 1970 or so we had to do a competitive 5 mile run. Timed. I did a 28 minute 48 second score. There were about 6 guys ahead of me. Hundreds behind. Fire department placement test.

Can I have some more beer please? :)

Back at Ft. Ord .. we used to do 25mile road marches.
We would do about 25 miles in 7 -7 1/2 hours* with a 60 odd pound ruck and combat load.
All this to earn the right to wear the 9th Infantry Regiment's "Manchu Buckle".
* if i remember right ... its been a few days since then...:D

Some of those marches in Ranger school were killer as well.
And anytime "marching towards the sound of gunfire" on a combat tour was always a interesting experience...:eek::D
Andy

Back at Ft. Ord .. we used to do 25mile road marches.
We would do about 25 miles in 7 -7 1/2 hours* with a 60 odd pound ruck and combat load.
All this to earn the right to wear the 9th Infantry Regiment's "Manchu Buckle".
* if i remember right ... its been a few days since then...:D

Some of those marches in Ranger school were killer as well.
And anytime "marching towards the sound of gunfire" on a combat tour was always a interesting experience...:eek::D
Andy

I'm shocked at all the people on here who have done such long hikes, with heavy packs, in such a short amount of time. Delta and SAS selection is 40 miles, with a 45lb pack, etc. with a time limit of 20 hours. How is it that so many people fail it if it's so common to be able to do such hikes in such short amounts of time?

I'm shocked at all the people on here who have done such long hikes, with heavy packs, in such a short amount of time. Delta and SAS selection is 40 miles, with a 45lb pack, etc. with a time limit of 20 hours. How is it that so many people fail it if it's so common to be able to do such hikes in such short amounts of time?

Only 0.00001% of the members here have replied (give or take a decimal) to this thread in that way so I wouldn't say it is common but rather that we have some exceptional members here:cool:.

Or like with other things in life, the fish that was caught just keeps getting bigger and bigger every time the story is told:D:p.

Just mentioning it, I doubt anyone's has lied in this thread considering who has responded thus far;)

I wouldn't say it so common to do ... we had our share of dropouts in the various Army schools or marches I attended.

Plus a lot may have to do with the fact that often at these schools you are not going out on the march rested and refreshed in perfect weather...
Andy
Edit to add:
Help from your buddy or peer pressure can go a long way in not having you fall out in a road march.
Not wanting the people around you thinking that you are a quitter or can't hack a road march , while their life may depend on you in combat is a strong motivator...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads