JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That 540 inch Big Block Chevy sitting on the ground there is going back in the car tomorrow. 800 HP without Nitrous and 1000 HP with. 4500 stall converter , transbrake TH400 , 4.10 Dana 60 with spool. Street Car. It'll run 145 MPH and 9.60's.

Painting in March.

4BNfbr.jpg

!972 on the Minnesota Freeway driving a fiends 1967 Corvette, 427 blueprinted engine with headers because he was too drunk to drive. Went up to 135 in 3rd gear and then shifted into 4th, went to 150 and then backed off. Felt more in control of it at that speed than a lot of other cars at 90-100. We drove fast with cars that had less handling, tires and brakes than todays cars without any safety features.

I've used the head on a sailboat during the Baja Haha Race, and the bathroom on a motor home at highway speed,
but the fastest I've ever gone is while using the head of a commercial airliner.

Huh, what?...ohhh....never mind :oops:

I had a 1971 firebird that had a blueprinted engine from General motors proving grounds in Jackson Michigan. It was an old's 350.with a turbo hydromatic trans. Very solid engine
I remember pegging that speedometer around 120. The concern I had is the faster I went the more that rear end floated and there is no feeling like that. I don't really know how fast I was going.
I destroyed that car going off base to get x flicks and beer I crashed that car on the highway bridge that goes over the Napa river on highway 29 outside of Vallejo Ca.
Back in those days I lived in the barracks so I kept my ammunition in that trunk of that car. When I totaled that car I had been rear ended by a truck so that the truck and my car was wedged together. When they tried to separate those vehicles I had upwards of 500 rounds of ammunition and gas all over the road
Just lucky there was no spark.
I remember one of the Sherriff saying after he saw how I had opened my car like a cam opener he was selling his firebird that evening. Fortunately neither my passenger or o got hurt

I was a foolish young sailor I think i have learned a few things since then.

Always drove like a complete A-hole as a kid, and I remember 120-130 mph more than a few times. Notably..

1973 Dodge Challenger (T/A 340) in 1974

1966 Chevrolet Malibu SS 396 (built motor - unstable death trap) in 1974

1982 Suzuki Katana (bone stock) in 1983

1978 BMW 530i (Bilsteins - downhill) in 1986

Scared myself shjtless every time (which, of course, is exactly why I did it). Got my license suspended in the beemer for stacking up multiple speeding tickets in 1985-86. Eventually realized that precious few of the 4-wheelers I've ever driven had even remotely adequate suspension/brakes to handle 100+.

Did "the ton" on my 1975 Yamaha XS650 (Progressive suspension f/r) two years ago for its 40th birthday - my 60th.

1975 XS650.jpg

Last Edited:
Airplane (as the pilot) 120mph (Cherokee 140 during flight training)

I got a Bonanza Debonair A 36 up to 176 knots, about 200 mph one time as PIC. Not my plane of course, doing some complex time. You really make some good time then. Just expensive way to go fast.

At least it was not one of the V tailed doctor killers.

Eventually realized that precious few of the 4-wheelers I've ever driven had even remotely adequate suspension/brakes to handle 100+.

This. That 140 mph I rode in my friends 72 Fury. On recaps.:eek: Even my 94 Mustang GT with some minor suspension mods has no business going over 110. I spin it up to about 105 a couple times a year, don't hold it there and get back down. Just don't feel that right, but the roads where I can do that and keep away from the motor cops are not in that great of shape.

90 in my Navigator, about 120 in my Mustang GT (sold)

I would go faster in the Navigator and could, it just starts to get a little shaky after 90 and my speed demon ways are mostly behind me.

Probably 18 years ago when I drove long haul probably about 100 mph in a 18 wheeler across Interstate 10 in Arizona lol the speedometer in that old KENWORTH only went to 85 so I know it was over that lol back when I was stupid

Somewhere around 50MPH, on a loaded touring bicycle. Downhill run in Romania.

A memorable car ride:

'68 Dodge Coronet (think superbee, with 4 doors). Took it out on rt 9 (Boston Metro) after work one night to "cool off" after a shift.

Passed a moving Massachusetts State Trooper in a MARKED CRUISER Dohhhh!

Memorable in that:

a. I promptly slowed & pulled over before he even lit up.

b. He asked me if I had any Frakin' idea how much this ticket will cost (my response-"semester tuition, Sir".).

c. He let me off with a written warning, which he even wrote up incorrectly as doing 55 in a 65.

Still have that warning somewheres.

Proof that G*d does in fact watch over folk whom are acting the fool!

-he could have easily bumped it up to driving to endanger, oh my gosh that alone, let alone not being able to pay tuition could have severely turned my career!

In 1969 was stopped on I-80 while driving my '68 SS396 Camaro. I had slowed to 115 and realized there was a police car on my rear bumper. Knowing I was in trouble I offered the Trooper a bribe. He was very understanding, wrote me up for 80 in a 70 and send me on my way. What a great guy.

I went 70 in a Ford Pinto!! Now that was scary.

I got rearended in my 74 Pinto. I drove away.. The Mazda GLC that plowed into me was totaled.

On a bike it had to be my TDM850 east of John Day on Hwy 26. About 140 when a wind gust pushed me almost into the oncoming lane.

I've owned a Mustang since the early 8os. When it was set up as a road racer thing and ran a 289, it went 145-150. (Back then I-205 was nearly vacant in the evenings)
These days with a bit more motor (331), but set up for the drags, the car does 127-129 in the quarter mile. Might change gears and do a half mile. Ought to be good for 145 or so.

From Car & Driver:
It has recently come to our attention, however, that many of the cars we like best are surprisingly inaccurate about reporting the velocity with which the road is passing beneath the tires. Or, to put it another way, speedometers lie.

Yes, ladies and germs, we are scooping 20/20 and 60 Minutes with this scandal: Speedometers Lie! Okay, "exaggerate" may state it more aptly, if less provocatively.
And the error is all one sided. You are not going as fast as you think and the faster the vehicle is traveling the greater the speedometer error.

Exactly, more details in the post i made a couple of pages back, even digitals are 'off' a little, but they're consistently off, not wildly so like all the dial stuff we're reading from here, esp. from the old days.

F
And the error is all one sided. You are not going as fast as you think and the faster the vehicle is traveling the greater the speedometer error.

Well I will be damned. Where was this precious tidbit of journalistic brilliance when I was trying to explain to O Malley one time that his radar was wrong, and that my 67 Mustang GT with a 390 was not capable of the 104 he alleges I was doing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top