JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pork Belly on the smoker. These are "burnt ends". Of course you make burnt ends from brisket, but the concept is the same using pork belly.

View attachment 1076639
These are fantastic! The recipe I use is to follow this initial smoke up by covering them in a foil pan, with honey, butter, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce of your choice and cook another 60-90 minutes to continue to braise and render. Lastly, uncover and cook for another 15 minutes or so to caramelize and become sticky.

Can you say MEAT CANDY!

Pork Belly on the smoker. These are "burnt ends". Of course you make burnt ends from brisket, but the concept is the same using pork belly.

View attachment 1076639

The recipe is essentially the same:

BBQ Rub, honey, butter, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce -- Stubbs and Sweet Baby Rays

After cooking:

20211124_172502.jpg

Deep fried handgun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20211121_195009.jpg

7.5 lb pork loin, cut in half. Dry cure, 6 days.
While it's not on the grill yet, these will be rinsed Saturday morning, and then left to form the pellicle. I will smoke them Sunday. Throughout the smoke they will get 3 light coats of maple syrup.
I will post the finished Canadian bacon pictures later.

Last Edited:
As has become customary in my split family over the past few years, I am visiting my kids at my ex's home for Thanksgiving.
My 19 yoa son has become the de facto preparer of the holiday meals (both T-day and Christmas).
He makes everything from scratch, including the pie crusts, although he doesn't churn the ice cream (we get that from where he used to work, and where his younger sister works now).
I'll be posting pics later, but he started us with this charcuterie plate mid-afternoon...
Charcuterie02.jpg

ETA: Pic with all of us at the table, just before the bird comes out. It was finishing up the browning process, so I just decided we'd get a pic while we were all sitting together. Didn't realize my ex was blinking right when I took the pic. 😖 By the time the bird came out, the idea of pics had been forgotten. Same happened with the pies and whipped cream later that night. I was too much into my food coma to remember the phone... Maybe next year...:rolleyes:

T-day dinner.01.JPG

T-day dinner.02.JPG

Last Edited:
As has become customary in my split family over the past few years, I am visiting my kids at my ex's home for Thanksgiving.
My 19 yoa son has become the de facto preparer of the holiday meals (both T-day and Christmas).
He makes everything from scratch, including the pie crusts. Although he doesn't churn the ice cream, we get it form he used to work (where his younger sister does now).
I'll be posting pics later, but he started us with this charcuterie plate mid-afternoon...
View attachment 1077237

I will take 2. Please.

He makes everything from scratch, including the pie crusts. Although he doesn't churn the ice cream, we get it form he used to work (where his younger sister does now).
View attachment 1077237
That looks good enough to eat! 19 years old and cooking up a storm like that? Wow, he'll make some man a fine wife one day! :s0084:
:s0140:

Truly kidding man. I'd love to have anyone cooking dinner for me for a change.

these will be rinsed Saturday morning, and then left to form the pellicle. I will smoke them Sunday. Throughout the smoke they will get 3 light coats of maple syrup.
the what?!

A pellicle (pronounced "PELL-uh-kull") is the gooey, slimy, bubbly, fuzzy layer of nastiness that may appear on the surface of beers fermented with Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, or Pediococcus. It's a type of biofilm, which is a colony of microbes that huddle together and float like a raft on the surface...

the what?!

A pellicle (pronounced "PELL-uh-kull") is the gooey, slimy, bubbly, fuzzy layer of nastiness that may appear on the surface of beers fermented with Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, or Pediococcus. It's a type of biofilm, which is a colony of microbes that huddle together and float like a raft on the surface...

You need to look past the top headline. Which I feel is a systemic problem with society these days.....sigh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellicle_(cooking)

20211128_165529.jpg
Off the smoker...

20211128_165551.jpg

20211128_192745.jpg
Sliced and ready to package

Not my best work but pretty tasty.
I gotta admit my wife handled the finishing steps of this as I am currently sick with the wu-tang flu. She followed my directions to a T and did a great job. These loins were smoked for about 5.5 hours and glazed with maple syrup twice during that time.

Last Edited:
View attachment 1079288
Off the smoker...

View attachment 1079289

View attachment 1079290
Sliced and ready to package

Not my best work but pretty tasty.
I gotta admit my wife handled the finishing steps of this as I am currently sick with the wu-tang flu. She followed my directions to a T and did a great job. These loins were smoked for about 5.5 hours and glazed with maple syrup twice during that time.
Please post a more detailed process from start to finish!!!! I want to give this a try. What was your dry rub/recipe? After rinsing do you pat dry or just let air dry/pellicle form on a wire rack? Cook temp and time breakdown? Real maple syrup or something like log cabin? What wood or pellet used? This may be my weekend cook this weekend as this looks mother watering delicious.

Please post a more detailed process from start to finish!!!! I want to give this a try. What was your dry rub/recipe? After rinsing do you pat dry or just let air dry/pellicle form on a wire rack? Cook temp and time breakdown? Real maple syrup or something like log cabin? What wood or pellet used? This may be my weekend cook this weekend as this looks mother watering delicious.

I used cure #1 following the correct cure to salt ratio.
There was a cup of brown sugar, tablespoon of black pepper, healthy dose of garlic and onion powder.
I did a dry brine method. I've used a wet brine as well. Just depends on what you're comfortable with.
These were cured for 6 days, rinsed, and soaked in fresh water for 45 minutes to pull some the salt out. They were then patted dry and allowed to dry on a wire to form the pellicle.
Smoker was a pellet muncher and I use oak + cherry pellets.
These were smoked to an internal of 155°.
I set the smoker for my lowest setting which is 180°, I bumped it up to 225 the last 30 minutes. They smoked for about 5.5 hours.
Don't use log cabin or any other crappy maple syrup. Use the real deal.

Lots of reading and recipes out there. Look up buck board bacon, pea meal bacon, and canadian bacon.

I used cure #1 following the correct cure to salt ratio.
There was a cup of brown sugar, tablespoon of black pepper, healthy dose of garlic and onion powder.
I did a dry brine method. I've used a wet brine as well. Just depends on what you're comfortable with.
These were cured for 6 days, rinsed, and soaked in fresh water for 45 minutes to pull some the salt out. They were then patted dry and allowed to dry on a wire to form the pellicle.
Smoker was a pellet muncher and I use oak + cherry pellets.
These were smoked to an internal of 155°.
I set the smoker for my lowest setting which is 180°, I bumped it up to 225 the last 30 minutes. They smoked for about 5.5 hours.
Don't use log cabin or any other crappy maple syrup. Use the real deal.

Lots of reading and recipes out there. Look up buck board bacon, pea meal bacon, and canadian bacon.
Thank you very much!!! Going to give this a try and hopefully get similar results. I think my pellet smoker goes down to 180 also. You should really be required to provide a sampling like Costco when you post pictures like that.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top