JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just some turf n turf tonight.

20210808_171722.jpg

Went with something a li'l bit different tonight... the 3 Cs!
Cabernet, cheese, and charcuterie!

Charcuterie.jpg

On the meat platter:
Genoa salami
prosciutto cotto
sopressata
pancetta
capocolla
smoke wild-caught sockeye salmon
marinara meatballs

On the cheese platter:
fresh mozzarella (in brine - not that rubbery skim milk crap)
fresh chèvre (goat cheese)
golden brie
edam
gouda

...and crackers and Cabernet. I'm stuffed!

View attachment 1008258

On the meat platter:
Genoa salami
prosciutto cotto
sopressata
pancetta
capocolla
marinara meatballs

On the cheese platter:
golden brie
edam
gouda

I'ma needa come over next time!

I'ma needa come over next time!
You're invited! I coulda used a hand with this feast tonight. I barely made a dent in it.
Gonna take me at least one more dinner (mebbe two :eek: ) to finish it later this week!

Last Edited:

View attachment 1008258

On the meat platter:
Genoa salami
prosciutto cotto
sopressata
pancetta
capocolla
marinara meatballs

On the cheese platter:
golden brie
edam
gouda

Do you keep that lawn looking like that? The food looks great, but that lawn, this time of year? Amazing!

Lose the gat?
Naaah, it was on my hip. Didn't get around to/feel the need to unholster.
Normally, I pad around my home in my sweatpants and bunny slippers all day, since I've been working from home for the past 17 months.
I don't carry around the house when I'm wearing my sweaties, since they don't stay up very well with a 2-lub hogleg hung on 'em.
But I ran errands kinda late in the day yesterday (spent too much time on this site :rolleyes: ) and didn't get home until after 1900 hrs.
So I went straight into dinner-prep mode, with my EDC still strapped on my Tru-Specs.
By the time I set down to my charcuterie, it was nearly 2000 hrs, and I just wanted to get on with noshin' my din-din.
So, I hauled everything out to the back patio, set it out on the table, poured the wine, snapped the pic, and then dove in.
I was still packin' from my errand run, you just didn't see the gat that normally accompanies my pics when I've been at home all day.

Do you keep that lawn looking like that? The food looks great, but that lawn, this time of year? Amazing!
Thanks, Mike!

We have irrigation districts here that provide water from the rivers around these parts for irrigation of crops, orchards, vineyards, pastures, and lawns.
I pay about $450/year for unlimited irrigation water for my automatic UG sprinkler system.
The supply line rarely goes down (although it did for a few days back in June's blistering heat wave). As an aside, I just got my city water bill for the June/July period and it's $35 more than it usually is, since I watered my yard with city water for about a week during the line breakdown in the midst of that heat wave.

So, I water 2X/day during the two middle months of the summer when it's hot as Hades here, and 1X/day in the spring and fall months.
I also have a lawn service that comes and sprays/treats my lawn 7 times a year, from spring to the fall.
They come in the spring with the pre-emergent, then broadleaf weed-killers and fertilizers and pest control chemicals, and then a treatment in the late fall that helps the lawn "go to sleep" in the winter and helps lessen damage over the winter.
That runs about $325 for all the trips, and I get a discount cuz I pay it all at once in January, before the season even starts.

And then I hire a guy that has an Army of Young Men (AYM, as he and I jokingly refer to them) to come mow and weed-eat my yard and leaf-blow the concrete surfaces every week. The AYM are Mormon teenagers who descend upon my yard in force and complete in 30 minutes what it used to take me 3+ hours to do. They get paid for summer work and stay outta trouble, and I get my yard spiffed up every Thursday morning for only $40/week.
I figure my time is worth more than that, so it works for me. I got more important things to do, like hang out on NWFA and post memes... :s0140:

Last Edited:
Thanks, Mike!

We have irrigation districts here that provide water from the rivers around these parts for irrigation of crops, orchards, vineyards, pastures, and lawns.
I pay about $450/year for unlimited irrigation water for my automatic UG sprinkler system.
The supply line rarely goes down (although it did for a few days back in June's blistering heat wave). As an aside, I just got my city water bill for the June/July period and it's $35 more than it usually is, since I watered my yard with city water for about a week during the line breakdown in the midst of that heat wave.

So, I water 2X/day during the two middle months of the summer when it's hot as Hades here, and 1X/day in the spring and fall months.
I also have a lawn service that comes and sprays/treats my lawn 7 times a year, from spring to the fall.
They come in the spring with the pre-emergent, then broadleaf weed-killers and fertilizers and pest control chemicals, and then a treatment in the late fall that helps the lawn "go to sleep" in the winter and helps lessen damage over the winter.
That runs about $325 for all the trips, and I get a discount cuz I pay it all at once in January, before the season even starts.

And then I hire a guy that has an Army of Young Men (AYM, as he and I jokingly refer to them) to come mow and weed-eat my yard and leaf-blow the concrete surfaces every week. The AYM are Mormon teenagers who descend upon my yard in force and complete in 30 minutes what it used to take me 3+ hours to do. They get paid for summer work and stay outta trouble, and I get my yard spiffed up every Thursday morning for only $40/week.
I figure my time is worth more than that, so it works for me. I got more important things to do, like hang out on NWFA and post memes... :s0140:
I hate you!! Not really. That $450.00? I might be close to that on my next quarters (3 months) water/sewer bill. We pay $30.00 a month for "Storm water Drainage"! My lawn is mostly brown. Accept for under the trees in front where I keep fresh water for the birds and some water for the trees so the filthy suckers don't drop leaves prematurely. And I have some raised beds and a bunch of deck plants that get plenty of water in the summer. This city livin', sucks richard these days.

I hate you!! Not really. That $450.00? I might be close to that on my next quarters (3 months) water/sewer bill. We pay $30.00 a month for "Storm water Drainage"! My lawn is mostly brown. Accept for under the trees in front where I keep fresh water for the birds and some water for the trees so the filthy suckers don't drop leaves prematurely. And I have some raised beds and a bunch of deck plants that get plenty of water in the summer. This city livin', sucks richard these days.
Yup, just checked.
The first half of my irrigation assessment is due at the end of April and the other half is due at the end of October, every year.
This year, it's $225.81 for each of the two payments.
Last year it was $223.45 for each payment. That's an increase of almost 1.06% !!! :eek: :mad: 🤬 :eek: :mad:🤬
I'm kidding. Of course I'm not mad at that... :s0140:

Here's the brisket 13 hours after it went in.
View attachment 589775

Cutting the flat up.
View attachment 589776 View attachment 589777

And of course the best part, the point and burnt ends.
View attachment 589778
View attachment 589780

Over the weekend the Mrs. had a hankerin' so she picked up a pork belly. Something in the 7-8lb range.

That she smoked on our offset barrel smoker. Standard secret pork rub.

Very similar to brisket, including temp. I dorn't remember if there was a stall ... about 6-hrs

Finished in the oven. Once the temp from the coals/wood had dropped, it was a decision to pack it inside or start more fire, and the time of evening ...

Then, to finish, cubed and sauced, a sweet sauce, and broiled.

Those are the spiritual equivalent to burnt ends.

If you have not tried a belly this way, recommended.

got it at https://www.chefstore.com/locations/store/aloha-540/
~~ $5.19 / lb (8lb avg)

20210807_125337.jpg 20210807_192306.jpg 20210807_201621.jpg

Over the weekend the Mrs. had a hankerin' so she picked up a pork belly. Something in the 7-8lb range.

That she smoked on our offset barrel smoker. Standard secret pork rub.

Very similar to brisket, including temp. I dorn't remember if there was a stall ... about 6-hrs

Finished in the oven. Once the temp from the coals/wood had dropped, it was a decision to pack it inside or start more fire, and the time of evening ...

Then, to finish, cubed and sauced, a sweet sauce, and broiled.

Those are the spiritual equivalent to burnt ends.

If you have not tried a belly this way, recommended.

got it at https://www.chefstore.com/locations/store/aloha-540/
~~ $5.19 / lb (8lb avg)

View attachment 1008571 View attachment 1008569 View attachment 1008566
Oh, man, does that ever look delicious...

Ha, were doing burnt ends for dinner tonight, only with a sweat/hot/kinda spicy sauce, smashed garlic sour cream and chives taters, parm cheese sliced and fried zucchini , and medium cheddar cheesy corn bread! Put the Meat in the smoker @ 0600 on low, and will pull it in about 20 min, finish off on the BBQ while the wife finishes off the rest, minus the smashing of the taters and mixin the goodies! Picked out a bottle of Robert Mondovi Cab from 2003 private reserve and it's a chillin as we speak! :cool:

Gonna be a NY strip, grilled to medium rare perfection, with roasted corn-on-the-cob and wunnadoze fancy-schmancy organic mixed baby spring greens artisan salads, as soon as I get through a few of these most delicious margaritas...

ETA #1: Here we go...
Take a look at that bovine goodness, baby!
After this, I'm going to take a break between my secondo piatto and my insalata courses...

NYStrip1.JPG

But before that, look at that meat! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...!!!

NYS2.JPG

PS: @frank linkh: There's the gat fer ya! :s0140:
I was working around the house all day in my sweaties, so not packing on the hip today!

ETA #2: I've decided to go all out!
After my primo piatto and secondo piatto, and then the insalata, I'm now on the formagio course.
Clockwise from top: edam, fresh mozzarella (in brine), gouda, golden brie, chèvre (center)
Stay tuned for the dolce and the digestivo courses...

Formagio.JPG

ETA #3: The dolce and the digestivo are served...
Pepperidge Farms Milano cookies paired w/Disaronno amaretto.
It's all I could find in the cupboard.
No tiramisu, cannoli, or panna cotta in the casa... :oops:

Dolce.jpg

ETA #4 (next day, 0052 hrs)
Dammit, Boy! :eek:
That was a 6-course meal tonight/this morning!
It's time I hit the rack and slept this food coma off...

Last Edited:
Tried a Japanese rolled omelette. Diced shallots and pork were precooked, diced again and the pan coated in peanut oil.

20210811_214538.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads