JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wednesday night... Sweet & Soul Polk with Pranet Kirrel Mai Tais!
It velly velly yummy!

View attachment 1000925
I have to guess your putting some weight back on after being so down and out for the time with the leg issues? :D I really wish I, or Wifey, could put stuff like that together. I try, and wifey just doesn't do real well in the kitchen. So It's me doing 99% of the cooking all these years. And that's become a problem since I lost taste and smell in the last year. Those plates your cooking, with the peppers, vegies, meat make me drool looking at 'em. High flavor and spice is the ticket now.

I have to guess your putting some weight back on after being so down and out for the time with the leg issues? :D I really wish I, or Wifey, could put stuff like that together. I try, and wifey just doesn't do real well in the kitchen. So It's me doing 99% of the cooking all these years. And that's become a problem since I lost taste and smell in the last year. Those plates your cooking, with the peppers, vegies, meat make me drool looking at 'em. High flavor and spice is the ticket now.
Um, you would be correct. Actually, too correct. Since the botched knee surgery last December, I've put on 10 lbs. Weight that I couldn't afford to gain, too.
Got my blood results from my last annual physical in June, and my triglycerides are up almost 180% from same time last year! My PCP says it's lack of exercise (duh!). Doc Jim knows what's going on with my foot. He Rx'ed me the hydrocodone that saved my life, literally, when the surgery center wouldn't prescribe anything after 2 weeks post-surgery. I was in so much pain that I was ready to shoot my foot off, so I put my guns in the big safe to be sure.

Doc Jim also said to cut back on the alcohol (which I really should do anyway), take fish oil (which I already do), and try to eat less since I can't exercise.
So, maybe he's got something there. With the inability to do cardio exercise, then eat less and imbibe less. These next few months are gonna be killer... :oops:

Did you lose your senses of taste and smell due to catching the 'Rona? o_O

Last Edited:
10 lbs isn't too bad. I'd got the idea you lost a lot of weight while you were down and needed to gain some? Thinking of that first pic you showed looking like you'd been up on the mountain!

I probably couldn't give up my nightly cheap beers.

As far as taste and smell...Who knows? It just, over the period of a few weeks, was gone. Haven't had a sick day in several years. Other than some on and off chronic pain. The worst part of that is some of the things I have made for years I can hardly eat now. Like potato salad. Stuff like that, it's the texture with no flavor is disgusting.

I get cortisone in both wrists, one thumb this last time, right knee, sometimes with a fluid draw, and right shoulder. About once a year, sometimes longer if I'm lucky.

I never would have imagined what a person can get used to when I was 40.

10 lbs isn't too bad. I'd got the idea you lost a lot of weight while you were down and needed to gain some? Thinking of that first pic you showed looking like you'd been up on the mountain!

I probably couldn't give up my nightly cheap beers.

As far as taste and smell...Who knows? It just, over the period of a few weeks, was gone. Haven't had a sick day in several years. Other than some on and off chronic pain. The worst part of that is some of the things I have made for years I can hardly eat now. Like potato salad. Stuff like that, it's the texture with no flavor is disgusting.

I get cortisone in both wrists, one thumb this last time, right knee, sometimes with a fluid draw, and right shoulder. About once a year, sometimes longer if I'm lucky.

I never would have imagined what a person can get used to when I was 40.
I did lose 15+ lbs after the surgery, but that was due to the fact that my pain level ( >11 ) would not allow me to sleep more than an hour or two per day. Note that I didn't say "night", cuz I would eventually pass out from pain exhaustion at odd hours of the day or night, after writhing in agony on the couch for hours upon hours, then only to have the pain overcome my exhaustion and wake me up again after only a coupla hours of what could not really be termed "sleep". I swear to God I must've gone a month without ever entering REM sleep. And I had absolutely no appetite during this grim, weeks-long, searing pain episode. So I started to drop pounds, although it's definitely not a weight-loss program I would recommend.

When Dr. Jim intervened in my treatment and Rx'ed me the opioids, I was able to get the pain under control and finally get some sleep, but by then I had lost 15 lubs or more. As the months dragged along, I slowly got my appetite back, but without any way to exercise short of the PT for the knee and foot, I put those same 15 lubs back on, and then proceeded to add another 10 on top of that, from what I weighed before the operation. So to me, that extra 10 lubs is bad, since it was actually an uninterrupted period of weight gain of 25 pounds since I got my appetite back. That's very disconcerting...

The whole point of this knee operation was to get away from the cortisone injections. I didn't want to be dependent upon those if we ever got to a grid-down scenario or, Heaven forbid, a TEOTWAWKI situation. I was a pretty active and fit guy for 60+ yoa before the operation. If you've seen some of my shooting videos in the Shooting Pictures thread, you'd see that I used to get around a course of fire pretty well, with just a bit of a limp and a quick shuffle (then more of a hobble as time went on) instead of a full-out run (like the youngsters do). The plan was to just have the operation done, get the knee fixed, and keep on training and preparing. Now, I'm just preparing, and hoping nothing happens too soon before I (hopefully) recover from this batch-job.

Last Edited:
Was this a knee replacement that went bad? I don't recall what exactly what started all this in your "I'm Back" post? I've been told I have knee replacement in my future. I used to think "COOL". I know, close enough, both kinds of people. The majority are pretty happy with their new knee-parts. I'm not so sure now. I spent my knees, wrists and shoulders on 1000s of miles behind a lawn mower, holding a string trimmer, edger, backpack blower etc. I'd like to hike to Bagby Hot Springs again (1.5 M) but that won't ever happen again with this knee.

Not a knee replacement. I had arthroscopic surgery to remove the icky bits from a torn medial meniscus after an injury in Afghanistan in November 2013.
The base doc shot me up really good with tons of cortisone, and I went about my life for the next 6 years. Stuff finally wore off starting in November 2019.
I became immobile (had to literally drag myself into the ER - think Marty Feldman's character in Young Frankenstein) on July 4, 2020.
Things went from bad to worse from there.

My "bad knees" came from humping heavy loads during hundreds and hundreds of long-distance backpacking, high-altitude mountaineering, and alpine climbing trips damned near every week over the course of 40+ years. Going up and (especially) down thousands of feet in elevation gain/loss over rudimentary trails and off-trail/bushwhacking puts a serious strain on knees.

Last Edited:
Not a knee replacement. I had arthroscopic surgery to remove the icky bits from a torn medial meniscus after an injury in Afghanistan in November 2013.
The base doc shot me up really good with tons of cortisone, and I went about my life for the next 6 years. Stuff finally wore off starting in November 2019.
I became immobile (had to literally drag myself into the ER - think Marty Feldman's character in Young Frankenstein) on July 4, 2020.
Things went from bad to worse from there.
Ah "meniscus". I've heard that there's not much to do with a meniscus. Dang man.

Just keep movin'. You quit moving and you die.

Ah "meniscus". I've heard that there's not much to do with a meniscus.
Yup, only thing you can do is to have the "icky bits" cut out. Which is what I had done. Was s'posed to be a routine procedure... :rolleyes:

Yup, only thing you can do is to have the "icky bits" cut out. Which is what I had done. Was s'posed to be a routine procedure... :rolleyes:
And that's where I've heard the issue lies. That meniscus gets trimmed all that does is lessen the meniscus size and that brings other issues, possibly. That's just a bad place to be in. Hope things can get somewhat better soon.

And that's where I've heard the issue lies. That meniscus gets trimmed all that does is lessen the meniscus size and that brings other issues, possibly. That's just a bad place to be in. Hope things can get somewhat better soon.
Hip is even worser! Had mine done a couple of years back, and it was the best thing I ever did, the pain before was unimaginable with bone on bone, now, i'm like I was in my late 30's! Living the life I did, it's a wonder I'm not in a wheelchair, my legs are pretty much shot, from hips to toes, and combined with a life time wearing climbing boots, I cannot wear normal shoes for any length of time, or it gets super painful!
I get to have the other hip done some time soon, not really looking forward to that, but I know it's needed, so,....................
I feel like a cyborg, gonna be half titanium soon!

No pics, but I grilled some bratwursts tonight, put them on Kaiser rolls, just excellent.

If you're in Tacoma, try out Hess's Bakery & Deli, wonderful breads and they make their own sausages.

Baby back pork ribs, roasted corn-on-the-cob, and one of those fancy organic mixed baby spring greens artisan salads tonight.
Doc told me that my triglycerides are up, and since I can't exercise right now cuz of the foot, he said to cut back on the food and alcohol.
So, my sacrifice was dispensing with the baked potato tonight...

< reader spies wine bottle/glass >
I know what you're thinking! One problem at a time, folks. One problem at a time...

Ribs.JPG

Last Edited:
Baby back pork ribs, roasted corn-on-the-cob, and one of those fancy organic mixed baby spring greens artisan salads tonight.
Doc told me that my triglycerides are up, and since I can't exercise right now cuz of the foot, he said to cut back on the food and alcohol.
So, my sacrifice was dispensing with the baked potato tonight...

< reader spies wine bottle/glass >
I know what you're thinking! One problem at a time, folks. One problem at a time...

View attachment 1002121
Did ya at least order the large Diet Orange Drink?

Next time, sub the tater with the corn, be much more betterer for ya!

Mesquite-marinated and BBQ'ed boneless chicken tit tonigiht!
Paired with roasted corn-on-the-cob and that fancy-schmancy artisan salad stuff (again).
Mighty tasty!

Chicken tit.JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews