JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Christmas present -

"Scott's Last Expedition"

The Journals of Captain R.F. Scott.

He, and several others, died

On their way back from the Pole.

It is both an incredibly uplifting tale

And a cautionary tale.

You want to mess with survival,

Go to the South Pole in - what -

1910 or 1911?

isher

For those with Smart Phone there is an App for that LOL But ja For I gajits it is a free App or $0.99 Survival Pocket Reference by ClearCut But it is the US Mil Survival Book New Style NOT quite FM21-76 BUT Good none the less. I don't remember squat (too much head trauma) so it is a good memory jogger for me. So if my phone is not Zapped by an EMP and I Dare to use it I have a good toy that I can solar charge:D

One Second After is a good fictional look at the possible results of an EMP. My wife and I are currently reading a similar book together by Terri Blackstock called Last Light (book #1 in the Redemption series..... Kind of a series geared more towards female readers but I'm really liking it myself as we read it out loud together). I would also suggest Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, Earth Abides by George Stewart, the Louis Lamour book Last of the Breed, the book Patriots by James Rawles (who has posted once or twice on this site), the survival fantasy series Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling (taking place in the Corvallis and Portland areas), The Postman (also takes place in Oregon, and although the movie and book are quite different I think they're both pretty good), Wolf and Iron by Gordon Dickson (what I'm currently reading) and the book version of I am Legend by Richard Matheson. There are others I could recommend, but several have been mentioned in other posts.
There seems to be value in reading fiction of this sort in an effort to be prepared for potential catastrophes as experiencing (even vicariously through fiction) some possible future disasters can help build a stronger mindset. For some of us, we just like to read stuff like this and ask ourselves "what would I do in that situation" which can also be useful.
As far as non-fiction, my wife bought me for Christmas the Encyclopedia of Country Living which looks like it has a lot of useful material for the prepper/self-sufficiency lifestyle, and I can also personally recommend the Reader's Digest book Back to Basics. Lastly, for people who are interested in survival firearm themes both the old Mel Tappan Survival Guns (if you can find a copy somewhere) and the more modern Boston's Gun Bible are interesting reads and may have useful ideas and information in them, even if you don't agree with everything the author may say. I'm currently working on a book covering similar themes that I started writing online here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4704.0
:)

Whatz, Good thread! Taking the time to spell it all out.
Might I suggest adding the Kel Tech Carbine? Mention also the AMT 30 carbine Pistol two gun styles one source of ammo. You did mention the IJ pistol. I know there are limitless things you could mention but IMHO it would be worth it to tell people about Pistol Rifle matches. .30 carbine rifle/pistol, Oly Arms 10mm Upper for any lower, therefore one could have an AR in .223 switch uppers and you have a 10mm AR for both MOUT defense and 50yd deer~ animal killa and a 1911 style pistol to conceal when needed for mingling. so for +-$2k one would have three really good weapons systems. A buddy of mine mentioned today the over unders in 410/.30/30 or 410/22

Army FM 21-10, FM21-11, FM21-20, FM21-26, FM21-76 Good starts. There are newer FMs but all the unclasified ones can be found at USAPA. SERE is a good one aswell The weapons ones and Infantry ones Ranger Handout and others will help. Like it or leave it the Services have a lot of good Pubs out there. Easy to read as they are all written on the 8th grade level:s0112:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top