JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a colleague that wants to get his Oregon CHL since he works here. I'm hesitant to send him to the Columbia County Sheriff because of this little clause in the CHL application process:

Additional Conditions for Washington State Residents
  1. You must have a Washington State Concealed Handgun License to qualify for your Oregon permit. This permit can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
  2. You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.
I was was going to send him to Washington county to get it done unless someone has had good experiences somewhere else

I have a colleague that wants to get his Oregon CHL since he works here. I'm hesitant to send him to the Columbia County Sheriff because of this little clause in the CHL application process:

1. You must have a Washington State Concealed Handgun License to qualify for your Oregon permit. This permit can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
  2. You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.
I was was going to send him to Washington county to get it done unless someone has had good experiences somewhere else

Sheriff Dickerson used to go to the Tacoma gun show to process Wa residents so I doubt he is that hard to convince. I also seem to remember seeing a compelling reason form letter but can't seem to find it.

Sheriff Dickerson used to go to the Tacoma gun show to process Wa residents so I doubt he is that hard to convince. I also seem to remember seeing a compelling reason form letter but can't seem to find it.

That would be most convenient for him but that statement made me think twice. I dont want him to be turned away and get discouraged. Im taking him to the range so he can figure out a good carry pistol. Someone told him to get a 22LR for a carry gun so I need to get him up to speed on basics.

I didn't have a lick of an issue going thru multanoma county.

I have also heard horror stories.

My letter was one sentence: I travel back and forth from WA to OR on a daily basis - no questions asked.

That would be most convenient for him but that statement made me think twice. I dont want him to be turned away and get discouraged. Im taking him to the range so he can figure out a good carry pistol. Someone told him to get a 22LR for a carry gun so I need to get him up to speed on basics.
Sheriff Dickerson still comes to the WAC shows in Puyallup. Sample letter forms can be obtained from their HQ. You don't have to be a member to attend the show, but you cannot purchase or sell until they run a BG check on you.

Don't forget two unrelated character references.

A couple of club members tried Wasco and Hood River counties without success. No one from our group has had a problem with Multnomah.

A couple of club members tried Wasco and Hood River counties without success. No one from our group has had a problem with Multnomah.

Yea, I was treated like a visiting King because I showed up and checked in 15 min early. They almost didn't know what to do with me at that point - like I was the first person to EVER show up early or on time:D

Actually that's kinda sad:(

It was stupid easy to get and I kick myself for not having done it years before I did.

I was at Multco Sheriffs Office on Gleason yesterday to re-up my resident CCL and there were a couple of Wa residents there to get CCLs. Those folks are very nice at that office.

I would imagine if you spend most your time in Multco that you ought to get the CCL here. A LEO checking you here and having a CCL from somewhere like Grantco and living in Vancouver may cause some delay? Or extra hassle?

BTW, Multco is 4-5 weeks out for renewals.

I asked the Lt. why they required this letter and he said that it is Oregon law to do so. I could not find it anywhere but as I know they are very gun friendly I doubt anyone has any problems getting a license from them. I know this because I just retired from that agency.

I was at Multco Sheriffs Office on Gleason yesterday to re-up my resident CCL and there were a couple of Wa residents there to get CCLs. Those folks are very nice at that office.

Same experience I have had with the Sheriffs office with out of state CCL.

I was at the Puyallup gun show last weekend, and wasn't thinking about the Oregon CHL until I saw them at the show. I picked up the application and looked it over, then called them, but they only take appointments; which the next one would be in June. The next time that they will be back to Puyallup is this fall.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top