Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What we really need to do about mass shootings...

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by ZigZagZeke, Dec 16, 2012.

1. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I've told all my contacts around the internet that I'll be happy to talk to them about gun control as soon as they have read this article from start to finish. I told them it's required reading. Otherwise, shut up.

I am Adam Lanza's Mother - The Blue Review | The Blue Review

A small quote from the article:

Sgt Nambu, drew, twoclones and 12 others like this.
  2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

This is really well done. I'll be sharing this as well.

3. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Snohomish County, WA Member

Resource Limit Is Reached
    The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

:( Can't read it.

4. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

Same!

5. ZigZagZeke

It's probably a good thing that the site is swamped with people who want to read the article. Here's the article. Copy/Paste it and send it to a friend, or an enemy...

6. ZigZagZeke

Let's make this debate about what it really needs to be about...our lack of an effective mental health system in this nation.

Kevatc, 2506, PaulZ and 6 others like this.
  7. Chalupacabra

Chalupacabra Portland Active Member

8. Mr. Ben

Mr. Ben Snohomish Co. Active Member

Thanks for sharing that article. That is a damn good article.

9. ZigZagZeke

This article has now gone completely viral. There's a very good chance it will derail a lot of the clamor for increased bans on ARs and other weapons. We all know such bans are useless. Mental health is the problem, not guns, and the public is beginning to understand that.

10. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

:thumbup:

11. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I agree but what will be the 'benchmark' as to when a person is deemed psychologically unfit to own a firearm and who will decide this? Hey like I said I agree and I am not trying to start a debate but I believe this is an important question. If this ever reaches a point where mental health becomes an influencing factor on the ability to own a gun where does the 'system' start and who administrates this? Obviously this is not something that can not be self-regulated and will require some sort of mandate so if we generally agree with mental health being a problem then we will have to agree to some sort of government intervention on it.

12. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Ironically, or tragically, (depending on your perspective) CT just had a debate about outpatient treatment of mental illness this past year.

AN ACT CONCERNING THE CARE AND TREATMENT OF PERSONS WITH PSYCHIATRIC DISABILITIES.

Some testimony about the conditions and the law's effect on patient's rights:

Involuntary Outpatient Commitment or Assisted Outpatient Treatment: Kendra’s Law | WAGblog

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/JUDdata/Tmy/2012SB-00452-R000329-David McGuire- ACLU-TMY.PDF

One perspective on the law, with respect to recent events:
    http://www.countercontempt.com/archives/4364

I believe the bottom line is that freedom and liberty are sometimes clumsy, ugly, un-easy things to apply to all citizens in all circumstances.
    Unfortunately, in some cases, nothing CAN be done about the criminally insane until the "criminally" part has been established.
    And often, by then it's too late.
    Unless we want to live under a "Minority Report" type of society and governance.

I'll leave it up to the individual to decide which is better.
    For me, I'll side with David Pyles.

13. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

14. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

wow. she is a freak!

15. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

All People are a mixed bag. I have read quite a few of the writings by classical authors, from Cicero and Plato, through Hobbes and many others, while their writings give a voice the high-minded ideals of what contemporary people believe a society should be, many of these people devoted their lives to depriving people in their time of the same rights outlined in their writings.

It's a difficult thing to do, to take the bad with the good, however this is the balance we all must strike in life.

16. ZigZagZeke

Friends, I had a suicidal teenage daughter. I guarantee you what the mother said about our mental health system in the article I referenced is accurate. After 6 years of pure hell my daughter was finally diagnosed with a brain tumor and operated on.

As for the blog? After having read it a bit, it's obvious to me that the blog is supposed to be funny, dark humor. Somebody apparently just doesn't get sarcasm, hyperbole, and irony. Go buy a sense of humor someplace.

1 person likes this.
  17. ZigZagZeke

Excuse me! You're way off base and so is the accuser. You're the one who ought to be ashamed of being taken in by an anti-gun attempted hatchet job on the mom. One of the comments from that page:

18. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

I'm extremely skeptical of the "mental health community." But I have to say that access to serious treatment has been drastically curtailed since the Regan administration.

It' long since time to take a look into this. And as usual, it's the GOP who stands in the way. Because it costs money.

They'll stand by their constituents in the arms and bioweapons industry to the hilt. But when it comes to ordinary Americans stuck in an impossible position, they're on their own.

This is exactly the problem. We have one party stuck firmly in 1980 and another one that wants to do the business of the country. In none of the scenarios I've come up ith do actual solutions arrive. -Because the bubblegum in the WH is more of a problem than thousands of seriously ill people who need help and can't get it.

If you're wondering WHY, other than Ron Paul and Rob Mckenna I voted a straight Democrat ticket this year, look no further. The GOP isn't INTERESTED in actual solutions. and the worthless Democrats, people I've NEVER supported, can't come up with any nor get them passed.

It's all about politics. And screw all of us who actually NEED some federal attention.

ZigZagZeke and (deleted member) like this.
  19. BillB1960

BillB1960 Hillsboro Active Member

This is exactly what we need...more bullsh_t partisan rants. Nice job.

20. rocky3

rocky3 oregon coast Active Member

I'm sorry that I did not see your reference to Michael's mother's blog.
    Yes it is worth reading and it does show a need for a real solution.