JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The first handgun I carried was a High Standard Sentinel:

sentinel%20001.jpg

Then the last time I went hunting, which was about a decade ago, I carried a CA Bulldog in .44 Special.

I don't hunt anymore - I can't walk as much as it would require - but if I did, I would carry my S&W 329PD.

Wolves are the only animal on earth that kills for fun, other than people.

Dogs, especially feral or loose dogs running in a pack, kill a lot more wildlife and attack a lot more humans than wolves ever have.

I have never seen a wolf kill for fun - dogs, yes.

I have had dogs try to attack me - never been approached by wolves, bears, cougars or coyotes - even though they are all around and probably on my property from time to time.

Wolves are the only animal on earth that kills for fun, other than people.

I carry a G34/17, but I will probably be buying a G20 to take over that spot this year.
It amazes me you guys that don't carry a back up in the woods. Even if I go on a day hime a pack. Not for the cougars, wolves, badgers, etc it's a the two legged beast that roam among us

Dolphins also kill for entertainment... Never heard that about wolves though.

+1 for a .357 mag.

Where do you think domestic or ferral dogs got there instinct? Wolves were around well before any dog. Yes wolves kill for fun. They, most of the time, leave almost all of the carcus they just killed. Then move on. Very rarely do they eat the entire animal.

Where do you think domestic or ferral dogs got there instinct? Wolves were around well before any dog. Yes wolves kill for fun. They, most of the time, leave almost all of the carcus they just killed. Then move on. Very rarely do they eat the entire animal.
I am well aware of where the instinct comes from - but dogs will kill and then leave their prey laying there, not eat it at all.

Few predators eat all of their prey - they usually leave a lot of it for scavengers. That is they way it works. But that doesn't mean they kill for fun - they kill when they need to eat. Feral and domestic dogs kill because it is fun. Domestic dogs aren't hungry - they get fed every day. Feral dogs get hungry, but they go on a killing spree and kill multiple animals.

A lot of the livestock kill that is attributed to wolves and coyotes was more likely killed by dogs.

Dogs, especially feral or loose dogs running in a pack, kill a lot more wildlife and attack a lot more humans than wolves ever have.

I have had dogs try to attack me - never been approached by wolves, bears, cougars or coyotes - even though they are all around and probably on my property from time to time.
Wolves very frequently kill to teach their young how to do it. It's a matter of survival for them. Anyone that has never seen it, or the results of it, and says it doesn't happen, is naive in the extreme. Is it for fun? Not if you consider the teaching aspect. But that doesn't mean they only kill for food either.
More sheep and lambs and fawns and does and calves are killed in wolf country every year than ever gets reported by the media.
And their carcasses are often unmolested after the kill.
Cats do the same. Even house/barn cats that get fed daily, and have food available 24/7. I know, I've watched them do it multiple times. The mouse/mole/vole doesn't get eaten, it becomes a toy for the kittens.
This is one of the joys of having a barn and its living contents.

Now, as far as dogs killing livestock, yes it happens, and that's why it's legal to shoot them in Oregon if they are chasing/harassing livestock of any kind. More often than not though, the dog(s) run the animal to death. Yes there are feral dogs that do feed on livestock, but they don't last long in ranch country. Their lifespans tend to be shorter that a coyote's, and they are more of a scavenger,, like the coyote, which is only a real threat at lambing time.

Unlike the wolf that needs to teach the pups to tear the throats out of their prey after crippling it with a ripping bite to the flank or hamstring.
Too bad the ranchers in Oregon aren't allowed to treat wolves they way they're allowed to do with dogs.
See one chasing cows/calves/sheep/lambs in the pasture?
Shoot it.
It saves the livestock and teaches the wolves to train their young elsewhere.
Win-win for all concerned.

Last Edited:
Fast Eddie, I had a S&W Model 48 in .22 Mag years ago, and it's one of those I should NOT have sold. A shooting colleague uses a Ruger in .22 Mag, and he's delighted with it. My .22 revolver is about the size of a J-frame Smith & Wesson and I often forget it's on my belt, but readily admit a good .22 Mag would be useful for some of the shots I take.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top