JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always have a handgun with me when hunting because I love handguns. Deer hunting on the west side its probably a 9mm, or a 22 so I can pop a grouse legally. Eastern elk hunting it's usually a Glock in 10mm, or a revolver in 357.
I like to shoot at rabbits with mild .38 loads, but have the magnums when I start telling myself stories about the cat & wolf tracks I cut.

Last Edited:
I usually am going light on backcountry big game hunts where I have to rely entirely on the "quads" that god gave me to get me in, and me and the meat out. A sizable handgun is just too much weight and not necessary, I am already packing a high powered rifle :) However, on occasion I have carried an NAA mini-master with the 22lr cylinder installed. I can shoot it well and take grouse at 15 yards pretty easily. It is very small and light.

I have also deer hunted the last couple years in the Willamette zone (successful both hunts) with a rifled barrel shotgun. It isn't the best at shooting shot, but can also take a grouse or rabbit and no handgun needed.

I carried a 9mm in a shoulder holster under my down vest. Cuz a already had a lot of chit on my belt and didn't need my .357 adding to the weight and clutter.

Reason I carried a pistol at all??? That's an easy one... to harvest grouse for dinner, to disuade two legged crittera/bear/cougar, and to fire three shots as a "come here" signal or locator (cuz rifle shells expensive).

I usually am going light on backcountry big game hunts where I have to rely entirely on the "quads" that god gave me to get me in, and me and the meat out. A sizable handgun is just too much weight and not necessary,
ive gone back and forth on this one myself as Ive done a few backpack deer and elk hunts. On one side is the fact the risk of needing a sidearm is extremely low, but then if you do the consequences of not having one in the far backcountry is even greater if you cant just run back to your truck and get out easy. plus id rather have a pistol in my backpack camp at night than a hunting rifle, ive had wildlife visitors at night and have woke up to cougar prints once.

ive gone back and forth on this one myself as Ive done a few backpack deer and elk hunts. On one side is the fact the risk of needing a sidearm is extremely low, but then if you do the consequences of not having one in the far backcountry is even greater if you cant just run back to your truck and get out easy. plus id rather have a pistol in my backpack camp at night than a hunting rifle, ive had wildlife visitors at night and have woke up to cougar prints once.
Maybe a little more on my experience that informs my choices may be helpful to describe why I do not feel the need to carry an extra firearm while hunting. Just a refresher, the topic is "do you carry a side arm when hunting".

I have worked in the woods for over 25 years in remote parts of Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Alaska, and have spent well over 1000 days working in remote wilderness for my career. I have been up close and personal with around 25 black bears, around 10 brown bears and been within spitting distance of 2 cougars (that I know of). When I am working in the backcountry (not hunting) I usually have my SP101 357 (4" barrel) in a chest rig with hard cast hand loaded rounds. I have never ever had a circumstance to draw my sidearm in the backcountry on animal or person. That being said, I have shot 2 rattlers on multi-day rafting trips when we had dogs and kids and couldn't get the rattlers to scoot into the river and swim away with an oar, though we have had many other rattlers in camp that we have successfully encouraged to leave for their own safety :) Some may say the 357 with hard cast hand loads is wimpy for brown or black bear, but I can shoot this setup very accurately as compared to something in a larger caliber, which is much more important.

Back to the topic (side arms when hunting) - I am usually using a 308 short barrel easily handling rifle that I am extremely comfortable and accurate with and feel no need to carry a side arm for additional protection. My wife was born and raised in Alaska. All her uncles, dad and brother have several stories of dealing with brown bears while processing moose, but never any shots needed. I have moose hunted twice, and there is always someone standing guard with their rifle while processing. We have all discussed this over many cups of coffee around the campfire and all of them would first draw their hunting rifle first. The only one that even carries a side arm moose hunting is my wife's brother and he has never drawn it in an emergency. I doubt he could even shoot it effectively in an emergency as he hardly ever practices with it due to the recoil (454 casual). I suspect that is the case with most people that feel the need to carry large caliber side arms for protection against bears in addition to their hunting rifle. If you are going to effectively take down a charging brown bear, assuming you had to draw a side arm because your rifle was too far out of reach, this means you have literally split seconds to draw, accurately aim and fire a kill shot (probably only one or two shots while dumping a load in your drawers). Few people have that skill with large caliber hand guns.

I personally know of 2 people that died in the backcountry due to bee sting allergy while working. I personally know 1 person that died in the backcountry because a tree fell on him while working. I personally know 3 people that died in plain/helicopter crashes in the backcountry while working. I personall know 2 people that died in avalanches while working in the backcountry. I personally know 2 people that died in car crashes while traveling to work in the backcountry. I personally know 3 people that have been murdered (not in the backcountry) and in their own homes. I feel very safe in the backcountry, but very off guard walking around in Portland (on the rare occasion I am even there). Always carrying in the city. I feel no need to have two firearms for protection when hunting.

I personally only know one person that was injured by wildlife while hunting (technically trapping) and he did have a side arm. A family friend that lives across the river from my in-laws in Alaska was mauled while trapping in the early winter by a female poorly nourished brown bear. No rifle or shotgun and the side arm made no difference (he is highly trained retired military and one tough SOB, and survived). To each their own. It is a dangerous world out there :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads