JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
lions are short lived and dont take much killing. 9mm is more than enough. But the odds of running into a man eating lion is like winning the lottery. Even bayed in the rocks they dont want much to do with the man scents.

to be honest i would prefer to never see one over having to kill one any day. that being said, if i get a chance to see one and watch it for a little while out there, that would be a good day and that makes me think its a possibility.

The most powerful of the big cats pound for pound. And if you don't believe that their not man eaters, take a look. List of fatal cougar attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are just the fatal ones. Look closer for non fatal attacks, the list is huge. If I'm running through the woods acting and sounding just like their favorite meal, (Elk and Deer) I definitely want to have a side arm capable of putting them down. As I said, I'd choose a .357 as mine..

Mark Jeffrey Reynolds, 35, maleJanuary 8, 2004Attacked and killed while mountain biking at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in southern Orange County, California [13]
The story was that the lone mtn biker was attacked and killed, then dragged into the bushes along with his bike. Later that year, two women were riding past the same spot. One was attacked and was pulled towards the bushes, but the two women fought off the cat. They did notice the body and the bike in the bushes.

I hiked through there in 2005. I carried a big stick and constantly looked over my shoulder until I reached the open grasslands.

While out hunting, all I pack is my rifle, but after some one kills something and I'm packing meat I carry a s&w 357 mag.
A few years ago we had a run in with a cougar packing meat out, was our last pack, around 8 pm on a cold wet rainy night in November. Every since then I've always had a side arm when packing meat.

I have been packing my 4" GP100 w/ 180g hardcast. The rifle comes first and the .357 is just there whether in camp or driving or hunting. I would rather have it on my hip than leave it in camp. And I am far more worried these days about the 2-legged creatures I meet in the woods than the 4-legged ones.

When hunting out in the bush, I sport my Glock-30 & spare mag of Cor-Bon 230gr. JHP 45ACP+p in a shoulder holster for the two-legged critters, and I also carry (yes at the same time... LOL) a 6"-bbl S&W Highway Patrolman in a leather hunter gunbelt with 25 rounds in the loops of 110gr. SJHP .357 for all other critters... always a knife, and almost always a cross-slung machette, too.

Then of course I have various long guns, if I'm sportin' an AR or AK, I have my 5rnd mag of hunting loads and three spare 30rnd mags of "cartel rounds" stowed in my cargo pockets. If I have my .308 Ruger American bolt-gun I keep a spare mag for that, and a 20rnd box in my cargo pocket.

If I'm duck/goose hunting I sport my 12ga Weatherby SA-08 shotgun, and the Glock-30 in my shoulder rig with two mags... again, mainly for the two-legged critters.

I've packed heavy loadouts for most of my life, so the above is nothing compared to some of that... and IMHO getting killed for a lack of weapons is even heavier, and I have seen some SERIOUSLY SHIFTY LOOKING schmoes out in the woods... they never seem to bother me after eyeballin' my kit though. Maybe I should change my screen name to Sgt. Overkill. ;)

What type,..if any sidearm do you carry when hunting? And why? I ask this because sometimes I have a hard time deciding myself.Most the time a carry a ruger single six for purpose of a grouse along the way...and a good choice caliber for one behind the ear to finish off a downed but still kicking deer/elk. But I've also carried my 44mag, and somtimes my g21sf. I tend to hunt in very remote areas and many times alone,the large caliber makes me feel a little safer against the remote threat of charging momma bear or cougar.I USUALLY choose not to take the grouse along the way,..as not to spook any potential game near by, but have taken several on my way out and nearing my truck.

None unless I'm in Montana then I carry my S&W 629 6" 44 mag.

I carry a Glock 37 45 GAP. Bow season has gotten a little scary east of the mountains with cats, bears and wolves. Almost like Alaska during deer season on Kodiak.

Yea I know what you mean. I live in Nebraska and we have never had to deal with that. The meanest thing we have are badgers. Now the game commission has seen fit to establish mountain lions and they are trying to get wolves here to. We have never dealt with that before. We have small children living in the country riding their bikes going on hikes to the neighbors. The game commission is going to kill our children and probably adults with these animals.
We aren't used to this. It isn't natural for us. I think it is a crime to establish these two predators here. I will always carry a gun in the country now.

Yea I know what you mean. I live in Nebraska and we have never had to deal with that. The meanest thing we have are badgers. Now the game commission has seen fit to establish mountain lions and they are trying to get wolves here to. We have never dealt with that before. We have small children living in the country riding their bikes going on hikes to the neighbors. The game commission is going to kill our children and probably adults with these animals.
We aren't used to this. It isn't natural for us. I think it is a crime to establish these two predators here. I will always carry a gun in the country now.

Fight that wolf "re-introduction" with all that you have. They are not the same wolf that would have been there in the past and they will cause havoc to wildlife and livestock. It's a bad deal.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top