JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey y'all. I almost went to the range today to practice shooting my .308 at 100 and 200 yards. But earlier my phone said there were gusts of wind up to 8 mph so I waited and then it said gusts up to 16 mph. I really need help improving my groups so I thought the wind would just frustrate me. How much of a factor is this level of wind? Maybe I'll go tomorrow or this weekend. Thoughts?

Not sure about 308, but in the 6mm bench guns with 65 Gr. bullet a
three mile an hour cross wind will move the bullet one bullet hole in
what ever direction the wind is coming from. That is at 100 yds.

Dont zero windage on windy days, if your shooting left or right so be it. You can still check your group size if there are no gusts. You can hold into it if you like. Record wind speed and how much it moved your group, theres only one way to learn to shoot in the wind.

For .308 about .5 MOA at 8MPH at 100 yds, about 1 moa at 16 MPH with 150 gn

Put a flag up by the target or use the brush that's there to gauge wind speed and direction.

Dont zero windage on windy days, if your shooting left or right so be it. You can still check your group size if there are no gusts. You can hold into it if you like. Record wind speed and how much it moved your group, theres only one way to learn to shoot in the wind.
KODA is right, One way is use wind flags.

I shoot .308 up to 1,000 yards all the time, with winds from 0 to ~23 MPH.
My scope was zeroed for 100 yards on a calm day.
Wind is a fact of life, so it's best to get used to it.
Sometimes I dope for wind with my turret but since wind is usually gusting, I watch flags, leaves, grass or branches. Sometimes I use a wind gauge from where I launch but during TOF wind might change speed and directions many times. Being able to see your POI really helps!!
I have found that once I dope for elevation/distance, doping on the fly for windage, using my reticule works best. Most pro's use this method.
There is no substitute for trigger time! I have been shooting long distance for so long that I can pretty much gauge wind speed just by how it feels on my face.
I put streamer flags by my target. I watch those flags through my scope. It's important to gain experience reading wind speed by watching your flags.
Sometimes the flags are at 0, 45, 90 degrees or anywhere in-between. A lot of times I squeeze off a shot in between flag positions that are constantly changing, using my reticule to dope for windage on the fly.

GH4P2URbcAAvHEx.jpg

I should note the values I got were full value 90 deg angle.
The angle of the wind will effect it and knowing when to apply full value or half is important.

I crank up the magnification on my spotting scope to get a good mirage going, you can dial in the direction pretty easy relative to to where you are shooting at, just turn till it's straight up.
Then plug the numbers into whatever guestimator you're using and see what happens.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top