JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What type,..if any sidearm do you carry when hunting? And why? I ask this because sometimes I have a hard time deciding myself.Most the time a carry a ruger single six for purpose of a grouse along the way...and a good choice caliber for one behind the ear to finish off a downed but still kicking deer/elk. But I've also carried my 44mag, and somtimes my g21sf. I tend to hunt in very remote areas and many times alone,the large caliber makes me feel a little safer against the remote threat of charging momma bear or cougar.I USUALLY choose not to take the grouse along the way,..as not to spook any potential game near by, but have taken several on my way out and nearing my truck.

Well now...If I'm carrying a high power rifle, I most often carry my old snubby Security Six in .357

If I'm not carrying a rifle, and I'm carrying only a pistol during during deer season, it has to be my most accurate .44, a Smith 629

And if I'm in grouse or rabbit country without a shotgun handy, it would be a Single Six

But there's always room for exceptions. This short barreled Super Blackhawk .44 can replace either the Security Six or the 629

I've got others to choose from, but after a lot of years hunting, I could live with only the few handguns above.:)

WAYNO.

0413092016-1.jpg

P1010013_zps8bea95ab.jpg

P1010846_zpsc7ceb57a.jpg P1000266.jpg GEDC0699.jpg GEDC0640.jpg GEDC0028.jpg

Last Edited:
Last week packed my S&W M&P 40c in a crossbreed IWB. Spare mag had 'bird' shot which worked nicely on the rattler that was coiled and rattling about two feet from my daughters face!

image.jpg

When I do carry a sidearm hunting it's my Glock 26 with only one mag, but most of the time I just put some extra rifle rounds in my pack and call it good.

You channeled the "most interesting man" there Brian: "I don't always carry a side arm when I hunt, but when I do,,,, hunt safely my friends"

I fully agree though, if I'm rifle hunting I feel no need to carry a side arm, if carried on the hip they can be cumbersome and can potentially wreck the stock on a nice rifle. But archery hunting, hiking or birding, another matter all together.

I carry a Springfield double stack 1911 in a shoulder rig, 2 spare mags on the opposite side.
I got tired of seeing my rifle stocks get beat up from having that chunk of steel on my hip and carrying my rifle on a sling.

S&W 657 .41 mag in El Paso Saddlery shoulder rig or suppressed .22 browning buckmark in cross draw! Grouse hate that .22 and with subs you don't ruin the rest of your hunt while putting some camp meat in the pot!

Smith and Wesson 1006 10mm. It's stainless, it will stop a grizzly, its weatherproof and it's purrrdy. Also I feel like it's one of my most accurate auto's. I also have a colt delta elite 10mm that is probably more accurate, but to nice to carry for days in rain/snow. Another favorite is my colt python but it's getting to that took nice to carry class also.

My dad had a 10mm S&W i've wanted since I was a kid.
20+ years i've been waiting, i find out last year he traded it and a few other guns for some different pistols. Junk.
That's too bad. My brother and I inherited twin 1006's from our uncle who passed. They are excellent hand guns. Like I said, I have a colt delta elite that shoots like a dream but I carry the smith and Wesson because it's so much more hardy. If you get a chance to pick one up I would highly recommend them.

For all my hunting and fishing sidearm needs I carry my S&W 642 stoked with Winchester Silvertip +P flying ash trays in a Galco thumb break, with a speed loader in pocket. Why haul a lot of weight when one has a long gun with. I've dispatched a few downed deer with it. If I'm in big bear country than it's my Anaconda 45LC with 300 grain hard cast hand loads.

For me it is my Glock G20 10mm. I carry it in a drop leg holster so that it is out of the way of the waist belt on my pack and swinging bow or rifle. Easy access to draw and plenty of punch for whatever I may need it for.

I hunt with my tc contender, 10" brl in 7.62x39, my ruger mkII comes along too.
I know this is old, but can you direct me to any other threads regarding Contenders in 7.62x39? I'm very interested, but I've heard that there are certain hazards regarding bore diameter (.311 vs. .308) in the small frames versus the Encore frame. I do not reload, so I would be using strictly factory .311 diameter ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top