Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

what shotgun should i get?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by x1hunter89, Mar 23, 2011.

1. x1hunter89

x1hunter89 gresham oregon Active Member

so i want to buy a shotgun and i want a cheap but good one funny i know but its just something to get me started with hunting birds and get use to the shotguns i dont know much about shotguns so i was wondering what shotgun is a good one for beginners for bird hunting thanks

2. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Mossberg Mavrick 12GA.. Cheap, tough starter.

Page.k and (deleted member) like this.
  3. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

^^^ or shop used. Rem 870 is a very versatile shotgun, lots of after market stuff.

4. boots

boots WA New Member

Remington 870 or Benelli Nova are two solid pump shotguns that have a good track record

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Mossberg Mavrick/88 or 500. Rem 870 is a popular choice too but I prefer the 500.

Page.k and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Benelli Super Nova Field.

I found it has most comfortable grip as Winchester SX3.

7. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I have 2 870's. One a 'police/riot' gun and the other a 'field grade', both in 12 gauge. I am quite happy with them.

8. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

You cannot go wrong with either the remington 870 or mossberg 500. If you look around a little (Bi-mart) you can find both these under $300 on sale (and you may even get an extra home defense barrel with the mossberg). I picked up a remington 870 last black friday for $229.99 after the remington rebate.

9. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Like most others have said the Rem 870 or the Mossberg 500. Both are really popular and are fine shotguns. That means you can find parts and accessories for them. I've had an 870 since I was a child and it will probably outlast me.

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I've taken many ducks with my Mosberg-500 (w/28" barrel and modified choke). I recently bought a Weatherby SA-08 semi-auto from Bimart and LOVE IT... its almost like you can't miss if you do your part! It was on sale @ Bimart for $370-ish... couldn't beat it with a stick!

11. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

remington 870....... or an 1100, used they are not too much more

12. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Does anyone know (about) how often Bi Mart runs these on sale? I am looking for something with a shorter barrel for home defense but would not mind having the combo. Probably prefer Remington but Mossberg works too..........

13. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You can go to bi-mart-dot-com and see their ads anytime, you just have to troll for it as I haven't seen any specific "advertisment cycle" on any particular firearm... much like daily trolling the classifieds on this site when wanting a particular piece, be at "the right place at the right time" kinda thing.

14. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

First shotgun I owned I picked up for $50 at a garage sale from a widow. It was a beat up H&R single shot 20 guage and I started hunting grouse and shooting clay pigeons with it. I prefer it to my newer pump Mossberg 535 for toting around in the woods. I'd say that's a great gun to start out with and you can pick 'em up for a little over a hundred bucks at Bi Mart. St