JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I wanted to hunt Nutria I would be making friends with local ditch tenders, Irrigation district employees, Mosquito abatement guys, etc... Anyone that deals with water. Also call your county Ag Commission, and your local Game warden. Being pests makes finding people that will let you shoot them all that much easier. Also ask if the land owner wants them left where they die, or if they want them picked up. Some like to see how many you knock off. Once you have a good start those same land owners may also let you hunt rabbits, Coyotes, deer, etc... This is how you make those relationships. DR

Nutria tastes similar to beaver...the 4 legged kind. Well done is the only way to cook it..or crock pot. Its an acquired taste ...
Hm. I don't mind beaver at all. Kinda oily.... but it eats fine. I guess some people have a real aversion to anything at all gamey. If you've never eaten those types of meat before I guess I can see how it might be off-putting just because it is so different than what they are used to. I read elsewhere someone saying it tastes a bit between a wild turkey and boar and somone else said it's more like porcupine... which I really enjoy... but porcupine, wild turkey and boar taste nothing alike so... not very helpful.;)

So I'm guessing a darker and a bit gamey meat. It sounds worth trying. About the only "flavor" I really have any aversion to is "swampy".

I'm not a treehugger, but with few exceptions, I only kill what I'll eat.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top