JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The problem is time and money
That new rifle will cost and you'll probably want a scope plus some premium hunting ammo and a good sling. Then you have to sight it in and get a feel for the rifle and scope combo, get the sling adjusted etc
That all adds up, especially for may be the worst (or greatest) day of your life. Humping a lot of weight in the Palouse could be exhausting. What kind of shape are you in. If you're not in good shape, you may feel like tossing that AR-10 into a gully by noon. Do you have any pals that could loan you a rifle?
That might be a better option. At least it won't be your rifle that gets tossed over a cliff:D
He's offered to let me use his 30-06 but I have this weird thing about wanting to use my own gun. Like it makes it more special or something. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Like almost all of you guys have pointed out it's probably best to use what I have experience with

He's offered to let me use his 30-06 but I have this weird thing about wanting to use my own gun. Like it makes it more special or something. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Like almost all of you guys have pointed out it's probably best to use what I have experience with
Sounds like you're at point where you need to make some decisions before time runs out.

Sounds like you're at point where you need to make some decisions before time runs out.
Thanks to you all for the words of wisdom. I'm going to use my ar10 and get a padded sling. For ammo I have remington core lokt 180 grain psp and Hornady black 155 grain amax. I'm leaning towards the Hornady because I have quite a bit and not much of the remington

I've found that the money spent on top quality hunting clothes and boots that keeps me warm and dry is well worth it when tramping around the woods in search of game. Makes the trip more enjoyable regardless of harvesting an animal or not, especially the boots.

Thanks to you all for the words of wisdom. I'm going to use my ar10 and get a padded sling. For ammo I have remington core lokt 180 grain psp and Hornady black 155 grain amax. I'm leaning towards the Hornady because I have quite a bit and not much of the remington
Consider a 3 point sling You can pad it. I always got sick and tired of the rifle slipping off my shoulder when tramping around the countryside and putting my coconut through the sling made it awkward as hell to unlimber the rifle if a pig popped up. The 3-point was the answer to my prayers. IMHO, it's worth your consideration.

I always liked Rem Core Lokt ammo. You won't need more than one or two! Good Luck, DR

Any rifle can get the job done

65759449-6050-4CCA-BB4F-433D32321216.jpeg

Be very careful with the A-Maxs as their not a hunting round and their use is barred in most states for hunting. If you were closer I'd offer some of the deer and elk rounds I have for 308 win got a lot of them.
As for using the AR10 I've taken mine with me the last 2 weeks in the mountains and I'm not small either and I keep it simple, sling, mag, gun, scope and foregrip if you use one. They make some that have bi-pods built into them.
A good second rifle I've used and like are the browning X-Bolts and the Ruger Precisions, low recoil, good accuracy and easy to handle.

I've found that the money spent on top quality hunting clothes and boots that keeps me warm and dry is well worth it when tramping around the woods in search of game. Makes the trip more enjoyable regardless of harvesting an animal or not, especially the boots.
Yes! My priorities go a bit like this:

1: Boots (Wear bad ones and you'll know)
2: Binoculars (Gotta find em to shoot em)
3: Raingear (Being wet sucks)
4: Pack (Has to be comfortable, able to haul a deer or an elk quarter, has to have usable setup.
5: Scope (Holds zero and weather proof. Xs don't matter as much as you'd think)
6: Ammo (Bullet over all else, reasonable accuracy is fine for big game)
7: Rifle (Most rifles are suitable if prepared properly)

I carried my AR-10 on a hunt once and that was enough for me. Ended up going back to my old Remington 700 and was happy with carrying a lighter rifle. Each to his own though.

Should I roll with that for my first time
I'd say stick with what you have for a 'first time' , stay close to your friend and follow his lead if he is an experienced hunter.

I hope you kill something so you can learn the gun is only part of it and you get to gut it out, get it back to camp, hang it, skin and bag it and learn all the fun parts of hunting!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top