JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've gone out 4-5 times now, and haven't seen anything except grouse. This weekend, I'm just going to take my 12 ga and go grouse hunting Sunday morning instead.

Looks like it might rain next weekend?

I've only seen the ladies.
That's what I usually see on my game cams, but most of the ladies vacated a while back and all we have (that I know of) is a couple of spikes, a couple of forks and one nice 3 point. Unfortunately my wife hasn't seen anything.

That's what I usually see on my game cams, but most of the ladies vacated a while back and all we have (that I know of) is a couple of spikes, a couple of forks and one nice 3 point. Unfortunately my wife hasn't seen anything.
At least your seeing bucks.
The last 2 years in a row my game cams go completely dead all of October. The rest of the year its like a wildlife safari of deer.

A couple of Upstate New York deer that I got last fall. Will have more this fall. Between my brother, my friend from Anacortes and his other half and myself we have twenty-two deer tags for New York and Between my brother and myself we have six deer tags in Pennsylvania.
We will be giving a lot of venison away.
I generally harvest five deer a year. This year will be more.
Next Tuesday I take my eleven year old grandson back to Upstate New York for two weeks of small game and trapping.
We come back to Seattle on November 2nd and then I go back to Upstate New York for a month of deer hunting and trapping.
Where we hunt is only a half hour to the Pennsylvania border and we hunt private property right on the New York - Pennsylvania border.
For a non-resident small game - big game hunting license in both states is only $102.
Doe tags in New York are four at $20.
Pennsylvania doe tags are $26 apiece and you can get up to six of them.
I do not hunt here in Washington State anymore. A big waste of time & money.

imagejpeg_0.jpg imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

First buck ever taken. Shot 7:15 opening morning. And here I've been told this hunting stuff was hard.. there were a few well earned mutters of beginners luck around the campfire.

97EB1619-EF1F-41AA-BCA7-73BE518E7F93.jpeg 5AA819EC-00C1-477B-95E6-A4D8AB47539C.jpeg

Thanks all, still get a grin on my face when I think about it. Also talked wife into hanging it in the living room, so many opportunities to brag for years to come! 😀

Severe winter storm warning cut my hunting week a little short. However, my hunting mission was still a success.

My dad had major neck surgery a month or so back, and has been in debilitating pain. He also got diagnosed with prostate cancer a few weeks ago. He couldn't go hunting on his own, and didn't think he could ever go again after this year (who knows what the future holds?)

So I went with him, for maybe one last time, to help him hunt and do all the heavy work on some acreage I own. The first morning, I drove him up on top of the hill, where we saw a herd of elk 40-60 strong, with a few decent bulls and a couple spikes cresting a ridge over a mile away at dawn. He was pretty excited, since we don't see them out there during hunting season often. I told him I would try to bugle them over if he wanted to tag one, but it might take a few days to disrupt their normal pathing and I would need to get them to come close, as I wasn't going to drag one or quarter it off my property.

The second night, about 30 minutes before the end of the hunting day, some whitetail does walked near our camp, so I encouraged him to take one with his doe (B) tag, even though he wanted me to shoot one. He dropped the biggest one, first shot.

Over the next few days, I kept bugling to the elk, and they would bugle back when they were close enough to hear. Eventually, true to my word, the lead animals walked right up the creek bed, right through our camp, 30 minutes before the close of the hunting day. I told my dad if he wanted to take one, he had 30 minutes. He had trouble a seeing them through the scope, since they were just 20 to 50 yards away and he keeps his scope on 9x (there is a lesson in there). He selected the largest cow (He didn't know a smaller bull was mixed in with the vanguard) and took 3 shots. He thought he missed as they walked around the ridgeline and was pretty disappointed. I wasn't sure how he could miss such a big target at such a short distance, but I didn't see any blood and I didn't know which of the several he was aiming at, but he was using bullets best suited for deer in .308. Some type of Federal blue box, probably 150 grain JSP. He never really cares, just what he gets on sale (another lesson in there). I told him I would check again next morning when it is better light out.

The next morning after taking him to the top to look for animals, I followed the path they took, and found one dead monster cow elk. He was very happy. Instead of quartering it there, he wanted to drag it back, so we backed the truck up as close as possible, and used his winch, cable, and a couple sets of rope to drag it in. Took 4 hours. Winched it onto his trailer and hung it in his garage to skin and age. It doesn't fit in a garage very well.

I still have empty tags, but a full sense of accomplishment. My dad's face and reactions were the best trophy I could hope for. I prefer the taste of deer, anyways, especially considering the amount of work involved with elk.

Sorry for the uncharacteristically long story and carcass images for the short attention span and squeamish members.

20221102_091031.jpg 20221103_142147.jpg 20221102_095603.jpg

No dice on archery elk in eastern oregon this year, got close tho. Did shoot a turkey with my bow at least. Was really lookin forward to chasing mulies solo backpackin in hells canyon again but wasnt able to due to the fires there. So i headed straight to wyoming after archery season for my first out of state hunts and first antelope hunt. No luck on antelope after a week, missed a couple even, decided to head to my elk unit. Bagged a cow after hunting about 1.5 hours! Best part was no pack out, i dropped it within feet of a jeep trail lol. First animal I've killed with ammo i handloaded and copper bullets, the cutting edge lazers performed very well

Screenshot_20221106-180214_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221106-180235_Gallery.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads