JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm down with the shotgun + insert idea - I've got them myself. A single shot/break-barrel 12 gauge and a set of the Chiappa X-Caliber inserts. They allow me, from one gun, to shoot: 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .410, .45 colt, .44 mag, .38 special, .357 mag, 9mm, .40 SW, .45 acp and .380. While it's only single shot, it makes for a lightweight, compact and very versatile gun - more for things like hunting than self defense, but I have to say, it's really cool and a load of fun to shoot. The Chiappa set are longer than some, 8", are rifled for the non-shotgun inserts and have o-rings to keep them from spinning in the barrel when the rifling engages the bullet. I posted about the Chiappa X-Caliber adapter set last year: Chiappa X-Caliber Adapters
Those were exactly the ones I was thinking of; they seem to be the best made, as in the longest, with rifling, and made to solidly sit in the chamber/bore of the shotgun, as you say. Also not a bad deal for the set of 10 in a durable container to store them.

Those were exactly the ones I was thinking of; they seem to be the best made, as in the longest, with rifling, and made to solidly sit in the chamber/bore of the shotgun, as you say. Also not a bad deal for the set of 10 in a durable container to store them.

I was super lucky - found my set used, but basically new condition on Ebay and got a great price on them. It was a no-brainer for me. I'd still like to add a few more calibers such as say .223, maybe 7.62x39, maybe even .308. There are some other companies out there that also make and sell individual adapters that are up to the quality of the Chiappas.

Some thing I just thought of, Why is it you cannot find a good Bolt gun in .223/5.56 with a faster twist then 1/9? I would love to see or build a bolt rifle with the new Wylde chamber and 1/7 twist! That would really open the horizons of that round in a bolt action, allowing the use of the heavy bullets and adding in effective range! A think a plan is forming! Hey Velzey, ideas, opinions! Me thinks a Savage 111 with new barrel and other "battle rifle" items might be a really cool do all utility rifle!
Ruger® Ruger American Rifle® Standard Bolt-Action Rifle Model 6913
X-Bolt Hunter

image.png

If you are clever and patient; you could build a good basic AR15 for under $500. Key is to look for take-offs, trades, lightly used parts, et cetera... however you would need to be very careful on some parts such as bolt carrier groups. I am aware of someone having built a complete AR15 using parts on sale for $400something.

As for Hi Point carbines, no way are they drying up in supply.. theyre having a hard time keeping up with the demand apparently.. so theyre running at full capacity.
Edit; there are a great many other rifles/carbines in the $300-$500 slot that are reliable, have cheap ammo, and good reputations for accuracy/usefulness.. these of course are the lever action and bolt action hunting rifles.

Stevens 520, 620 and Wards 30 are Browning patent shotguns with the same functionality as the overpriced trench guns. They come apart at the barrel making the potential storage length only 18 or 19 inches. They also slam fire so you hold the trigger and pump, by the time the recoil is done you are firing again, semi auto speeds.

There were a gazillion of these guns made and they can be had for $150 to $250 all day long. Parts are still plentiful on the used market. I just picked up an old 520 from NW Armory for $160 that was made in 1916 (it has no serial number which is weird.)

They are (for now) 50 state legal and an old shotgun disassembled in the trunk s a lot less likely to attract LEO attention than something more "tactical". This gun is intended for my get home bag in my car. If I need my GHB I will be trying to get from St Johns to Oregon City during a disaster or unrest. A shotgun (even an old one) is intimidating as hell.

If this were to get confiscated or stolen it would be a lot less upsetting to me than losing something better.

Serial numbers were not required on firearms until the GCA 1968. After that all new made firearms were required to have a serial number. Many companies used a system somewhat similar to a serial number but more like "batch" numbers

I'm thinking the next "big thing" for prepping will be building off of 80% lowers.

The hard part will be building ones shop around alternative power. Water wheel, horse drawn mill etc etc...

I'm thinking the next "big thing" for prepping will be building off of 80% lowers.

The hard part will be building ones shop around alternative power. Water wheel, horse drawn mill etc etc...
A few years ago someone made a vertical manual milling machine (think Bridgeport) and an engine lathe powered by a gas engine and belts and such.. one could perhaps build a system utilizing heavy duty 3 phase 220V generator? Also there was a series of heavy trucks and trailers in military use that had complete mill, lathe and drill press shops in them that also ran off the heavy duty generators.

My Grizzly lathe can be powered by a small gas engine, as long as there is a big enough fly wheel to keep a constant speed ( keeps it from chattering while turning) I can also run quite a few other power tools off an Old Mecormic and dearing hit and miss engine I picked up last month! Old gas powered washing machine, roller wringer, small saw mill, ect!

Yeah, but what happens when electricity itself is no longer an option?..

...there was a Science Fiction series run a few years ago on mainstream TV, where electricity just "stopped". It turned out to be caused by microscopic nanobots or some such...

...Could happen you know...

Electricity wont be elimimated. Cheap and readily available stuff though? Thats gonna be gone. Making your own electricity isnt that hard to do.. it does involve a lot of labor, time, materials and knowledge. The simplest can be one of three things.. wind power (turbine/windmill), water power (water wheels and the like) and solar power.
Water wheels and windmills have been used for centuries to grind flour, draw water and most recently provide energy.
Methane from crap is also a viable if stinky source of energy.
I believe there was also a way that water wheels could power industrial tooling just by belts and gearing but I may be wrong.
Fuel to power any sort of combustion engines for electricity is definitely something to be concerned about, seeing as Oregon is not exactly oil/coal rich. Rich however in the amount of crap we have especially in the cities ;)

I'm starting to really like that little Ruger American! I finally fondled one the other day, and was surprised at the quality and the fit and finish for such a inexpensive rifle. Even the wife was impressed, and she is definitely a nice wood stock kind of girl! She may end up getting one to retire her little rem mod 700 .222 which needs a new barrel, so I will get to try it out and see if it floats my boat!:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top