JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not leaving my home but IF I had too, I would be pulling a garden cart (an oversized red flier for those that remember them:rolleyes:) filled with the stuff I needed. Easily octupling the amount of weight I could take with me.

I'd most likely use a deer drag harness with a quick disconnect to keep my arms free and to be able to abandon it for cover till I could go back out and get it.

I'm not leaving my home but IF I had too, I would be pulling a garden cart (an oversized red flier for those that remember them:rolleyes:) filled with the stuff I needed. Easily octupling the amount of weight I could take with me.

I'd most likely use a deer drag harness with a quick disconnect to keep my arms free and to be able to abandon it for cover till I could go back out and get it.

1200lb capacity, & it dumps too...

Gorilla Carts 1,200 lb. Heavy Duty Poly Dump Cart-GOR866D - The Home Depot

If there were an actual SHTF thing, best mode of human powered transport (after the population "declines") would be by bike. Add racks & bags (panniers) you can haul a huge amount. Add a trailer and you can haul even more. What you can't do is ride a bike with a big rucksack load, small sure - no problem, but backpacking size is a no go for near on everyone.

-pic of a pic of me & my bike a decade ago, somewhere between Xingjiang & Tibet. My bike is the one in the foreground.

BCE0DE19-4FB9-4F25-A400-8091DD30F23F_zpsoer8fj0q.jpg

Last Edited:
1200lb capacity, & it dumps too...

Gorilla Carts 1,200 lb. Heavy Duty Poly Dump Cart-GOR866D - The Home Depot

If there were an actual SHTF thing, best mode of human powered transport (after the population "declines") would be by bike. Add racks & bags (panniers) you can haul a huge amount. Add a trailer and you can haul even more. What you can't do is ride a bike with a big rucksack load, small sure - no problem, but backpacking size is a no go for near on everyone.
bicycle camping/Bug Out vehicle/Hunting Rig
Something similar to this thread's subject?

Bikes make it real hard to hold a long gun at the ready or shouldered and accessible.

I'll have family with me and I'd rather go slow and take one block at a time then try to wizz by all the bad areas on a bike.

That and after getting used to Corbin custom seats on a motorcycle, I just can't go back to bicycles - they hurt my rear end.

I know lots of people who have bought bikes just for bugging out though so I'm sure it's a personal flavor thing.

Bikes make it real hard to hold a long gun at the ready or shouldered and accessible.

I'll have family with me and I'd rather go slow and take one block at a time then try to wizz by all the bad areas on a bike.

That and after getting used to Corbin custom seats on a motorcycle, I just can't go back to bicycles - they hurt my rear end.

That is true of the difficulty with long guns, however one could perhaps weld up/rig up a pintle sort of mount (another front fork from a bike?) And mount a rifle or similar that way.. actually an AR pistol build with 14.5" barrel and no shoulder stock would work pretty sweet in that position.. basically youd be able to swing it around while cycling.. without needing a second hand on the gun.
Alternatively, you could get a custom bike seat done up thats similar to a motorycle seat and run a "chopper" style rig... actually this is another argument for one of those recumbent bikes or trikes as a BOV... there is in fact a 4 wheeled recumbent/pedal truck that has a 500 lb load rating.. it is a flatbed bike and its basically a man powered Mechanical Mule in concept. One could do that for urban operations. I know there are off road recumbent bikes as well as off road "wheel chair" race frames that could be good bases for such custom builds.

How I see myself:

h3-jpg.310969.jpg

zomg-jpg.jpg

Reality;

I shot my buddy's stock cheapo Mosin at the range recently, we were drilling the tagets at 100 yds with iron sights, VERY IMPRESSIVE. He had the $100, "pull it out of a generic barrel" model too. Very powerful and accurate (iron sights) but in my view the next great prepper gun is any air rifle or crossbow. Cheap, needs little maintenance, runs forever, puts squirrels in the stew pot.

Last edited by a moderator:
in my view the next great prepper gun is any air rifle or crossbow. Cheap, needs little maintenance, runs forever, puts squirrels in the stew pot.

Archery in general uses arrows, which get broken and lost, as do the points.

Air guns use pellets/BBs/projectiles.

Both are good to have, but require projectiles that eventually get used up.

A long barrel .22 rimfire rifle that can shoot CBs/shorts/quiet LRs can be just as good and quiet as an air rifle. Rimfire ammo can be stocked pretty deep. Using 10 rounds of rimfire ammo per week, I would go through only 520 rounds per year that cost me $35 or less. I have enough to last well past the end of my remaining lifetime.

Archery in general uses arrows, which get broken and lost, as do the points.

A long barrel .22 rimfire rifle that can shoot CBs/shorts/quiet LRs can be just as good and quiet as an air rifle. Rimfire ammo can be stocked pretty deep. Using 10 rounds of rimfire ammo per week, I would go through only 520 rounds per year that cost me $35 or less. I have enough to last well past the end of my remaining lifetime.

Yes, but you are being logical. ;)

Arrows can be made if you know how and are better suited to big game while still being viable for hunting small game.

Woukd have to be a recurve or long bow because it's my understanding the high power compound bows will destroy a wooden arrow before it goes anywhere.

Blow guns are very efficient for bird and small game as well and darts are cheap if you buy in bulk or easy to make.

I'll be back at hoarding .22 as soon as I have a job again;).

True, pellets/BB's are consumables as well. But when you consider a good .22 air rifle, while it won't hit as hard as a .22lr, at least hits hard enough to hunt similar small game, it's a great additional gun to have on hand. From the perspective of cost, weight and space, a tin of 500 pellets is cheaper, lighter and easier to pack due to size/weight than the same number of .22lr. If you stay with a heavier pellet and can stay subsonic, then you don't have to worry about the noise. I agree .22lr is an ideal round, but you should be able to put away far more .22 pellets for better than the price of the .22lr, plus there seem to be no shortages of pellets anywhere. I honestly don't see any reason to run out of pellets as cheap as they are to buy. With that in mind, you may even conserve some of that .22lr ammo for the times you really need it, and work through a deep stash of pellets.

What you probably do want to do for any 'prepper' air gun is to have on hand some extra rings/seals to replace them if/when they wear out, as well as some decent air gun lube to keep it all running properly.

And some of those higher caliber PCP rifles, up to .50 cal, can take down even larger game, plus you can most likely cast your own bullets for those guns.

I would definitely say any prepper should have a decent air rifle - .22 cal or higher - as part of their overall plan.

I think the discussion here really demonstrates how important the need/ability to be adaptable and have multiple plans and modalities. One cannot anticipate everything, or even be prepared for everything, cause anything can happen. Me, I'm getting a good pack mule when the time's right, then possibly a stout trail horse. No joke! It's quite plausible. There are many around the area, and I have resources I could trade; the folks who have them will be scrambling to feed them. It's not a strict plan (it's not a crucial part of my overall preparedness, but nothing should be too crucial or it might become a liability) but a viable option, like being adaptable requires. Just saying.

Back about 6 years ago YouTube blew up with SKS's being a well kept secret and you could get them in the $200 range and afford Ammo. Now people want $400-500 for nice ones with a few mods or accessories - sold mine for $600 (the price of an entry AK).

Mosinn's were $120 for a nice model and Ammo was also freely available for cheap.

Now I see them getting close to $200 and ammo is drying up possibly with the import ban.

Assuming those guns never get cheaper - what is the next big thing to stockpile for whatever you are going to call yourself (prepper/survivalist/whatever) for SHTF?

Only thing I can think of is .22lr rifles (still in the $150-200+ range) but ammo even inflated is cheap and more available at this time (and lots made in the US).

And a 12 ga Pump Shotgun for larger things? Being $100-300 and bird shot being able to be used as cut shells or wax slugs for $0.25 each or buck and slings being $0.75+.

Not buying but interested in what others are looking at for curiousitys sake.:rolleyes:

I can't think of anything center fired for those prices except some old hunting guns will go for cheap if the condition is marginal but then ammo is rarely cheap for those and they are low capacity.

Not counting cheap companies with meager reliability reputations because why bother trusting your life to them? At least IMO?

I think the discussion here really demonstrates how important the need/ability to be adaptable and have multiple plans and modalities. One cannot anticipate everything, or even be prepared for everything, cause anything can happen. Me, I'm getting a good pack mule when the time's right, then possibly a stout trail horse. No joke! It's quite plausible. There are many around the area, and I have resources I could trade; the folks who have them will be scrambling to feed them. It's not a strict plan (it's not a crucial part of my overall preparedness, but nothing should be too crucial or it might become a liability) but a viable option, like being adaptable requires. Just saying.

Excellent idea! Seriously. Could stock up on some old school tac to work a small field or draw a carriage as well.

.. Plus then all you'd need for some aftermath trading would be some Shakespeare acting ability ala "the Postman". Skip the first stew if you get captured though...poor Bill...

I would go for mules plural. A good riding mule is supposed to be a better trail equine than a good trail horse. I am not an equestrian - I can barely mount and ride a horse without falling off, but that is whatI have read about mules.

The problem with animals is the constant maintenance - IMO.

If things fall apart to the extent that you need to carry weapons to live, the quality of the weapon and the potential availability of ammo are the criteria that should dictate what you own. I prefer .45ACP handguns but also own .40 S&W because that's what the majority of LE use. That pretty much guarantees that the .40S&W would be a likely caliber you might come across. For long guns the obvious calibers are 5.56/.223, 7.62/.308 and 7.62 x .39. The first two both due to military and also the huge civilian popularity. Weapons in the AR15 family same thing. Used by military, LE and lots of civilians. That puts the odds of spare parts higher than anything else I can think of. Glock handguns in .40S&W or 9mm are issued to both state and federal LE. In all cases if things break down to the point that you're keeping a long gun in your possession 24/7 the odds of getting parts or ammo would likely be what was originally issued to military or LE. Depending on what went wrong and what the government's response to it was and what the populations response to the government was, these calibers might be available. Same with 12 gauge weapons and ammo. Coming across the right stockpile could set you up for a long time.

Everyone will wish they had either built or bought more AR15s sometime in the next 5 years. Without trying to hard, I can order every thing I need to build a decent shooter for $500.
It may not have all the latest high speed low drag goodies or the fanciest barrel and handguards, but it will be way more accurate than a $500 AK.

I can go pick up a new Ruger or S&W sport model for under $650 right now from 3 different gun shops in town.

I am sure if I shopped real carefully I could build some $400 AR15s.

On a different note, Wal Mart recently had some killer clearance pricing on Ruger American Rifles. I bought a .308 for $199 and a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
from the same store for $64. I'll add some $25 weaver rings and have a kick bubblegum little hunting rifle to stash away.

I wish I had bought more H&R single shot 12 gauges when they were cheap.

Sarco is currently running a special on their Flattop 16" M4 styled carbine kits for $409 plus shippng.. all thats required is the stripped lower. I believe they are using .223 Wylde m4 profile barrels with the triangular FSB and a China sourced M4 stock piece. Its a great deal if you already have the tools and the lowers ready. They also have the same kit plus detachable carry handle rear sight for 20 more, and a 20" barreled A1 kit for $499. That may be my next purchase

I tried to read most of the posts all the way through this thread, I gotta say its wandered quite a bit.

As far as the original topic, I don't think you are going to find diamond in the rough next big surplus winner. I dont think there is one. I don't think there will ever be the equivalent of the $69 SKS's I had when I first got into firearms. I don't think there will ever again be those $250 M1's at Big 5. That world is gone.

If you really cant afford to put together a solid SHTF arsenal and ammo pile and you actually think its something you might need my recommendation would be to find someone in your area to buddy up with. Make friends now, contribute in some way if its not financially.

Guys that have enough gear to outfit a neighborhood will keep that gear only if they have a crew of solid guys when the rubber meets the road. If you cant pile up the goods make sure you are the number one dude with the guy with the goods. In a lot of ways its probably a better plan than being the guy with the stash

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top