JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would give the Savage 10-T a good look! Not a scout rifle, but a damn nice and accurate rifle for the $599 price tag. Or, Spend a $100 more and get the short barreled version with threads AND a 10 round mag!!! Have One Velzey trick it out with a set of Irons and you have a really sweet shooting rifle for sub grand budget! Or run it as is and add a scope for a few less dollars!

After reading through the thread thus far, here are a few thoughts...

The specific weapon type or platform is far less important than being skilled in its use and having an overall plan to be cohesive with your close allies. Can your family members all handle a .308 if that's your preferred round?

Having a support system in family, friends and neighbors is going to be the primary factor in weathering a SHTF storm, not bugging out or running around like some would be urban operator. Get to know the people in your community and be prepared to help those in need.

Gather intelligence about possible threats and make plans for the top three to five probable emergency circumstances. Plans are seldom fully useful but the planning process is invaluable.

Worry more about improving yourself than adding on to your cache of firearms. When was the last time any of us humped a 50 pound pack? I did today during my lunch break even if it was only about 2.5 miles. Don't get me wrong, I'm just another old fat guy but I'm getting out and exercising whenever I can. Conditioning pays; the more we sweat now the less our loved ones will bleed if things really go terminal.

Should the supply chain break down one of the hardest items we are going to have finding is good shoes and boots; we can get by if clothes don't fit well but footware needs to fit properly. Take care of your feet.

Be as hard to kill as you can make yourself. Get fit, get armed, get trained.

How about a Contender Carbine with two barrels, one in .22LR and the other in .223?

Or just a bolt gun in .223? Sam Fadala wrote "The Book of the Twenty-Two" where he explains that .223 can be downloaded with small charges of pistol powder for when you are hunting small game. Turn an FMJ bullet backwards?

Seems like the caliber is going to be .223 anyway, no matter what the gun is going to be.

This points to my new Project rifle! I just purchased a Cheep Savage 111 series bolt gun in .223 I have the barrel off and a new one in the making with the Wylde chamber and 1/7 twist. Being able to handle all the different grain weights of projectiles available for that Cal with an eye toward longer range hunting vs Varmint hunting really appeals to me.

I thought about the swappable barrels for a while, especially a T/C because there are so many barrels and because you can get a carbine kit for them. But the cost always turned me off.

I would just as soon have a whole different firearm, then if anything went wrong with one gun, I would have another one.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top