JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone identify this ammo and belt / link system? I've 300 rounds from my uncle and I don't know what it is. Perhaps 8mm?

169921918.jpg belt head stamp.jpg IMG_5042.jpg IMG_5043.jpg

It's not 8mm, and I want to say 7.62x51, but something in the recesses of my brain is saying 7.5 French.

EDIT: Sorry, not 7.5 French, definitely 7.62. If you look closely, the headstamp has "7.62" stamped right on it, in Arabic numerals.

Last Edited:
It's not 8mm, and I want to say 7.62x51, but something in the recesses of my brain is saying 7.5 French.
The links are definitely MG34/42 links, but it certainly doesn't look like 8mm. They do look more 7.62.

TBH though I am not extremely well versed in historical weapons in that region. I do know they did a lot of backyard gunsmithing though and just about anything is possible.

Interesting belt.

Edit: I believe Andy nailed it below. 7.62 belt for the German MG3.

Last Edited:
The links are definitely MG34/42 links, but it certainly doesn't look like 8mm. Frankenbelt(?) They do look more "7.62", but I can't think of any 7.62 MG that would work with those links. 7.5 French was in common use in that region back when... very similar to the 7.62 cartridge and it "seems" more plausible a frankenmod to 7.5 could make sense.

TBH though I am not extremely well versed in historical weapons in that region. I do know they did a lot of backyard gunsmithing though and just about anything is possible. I guess I could see modding an old MG42 to fire M60 ammo that was likely in abundance.(?)

Interesting belt.
I edited my post above. The cartridges have "7.62" right on the headstamp, if you know how to read it. It's Syrian 7.62x51 ammo. The date is 1959.

I edited my post above. The cartridges have "7.62" right on the headstamp, if you know how to read it. It's Syrian 7.62x51 ammo. The date is 1959.
I edited my post too. I'm pretty confident Andy nailed it. An MG3 belt.

Great share!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top