JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should never have to worry what is behind any wall if you are using deadly force to protect your house.
Be fore you are shooting,I'm guessing you have gathered all the family members together?
I mean if I have children in the house,I am heading for their rooms first. If the perp is between you and the bedroom,1) your security plan sucks 2) or you should have a safe place for the kids to hide and be able to communicate with them to get there NOW
But if I lived somewhere that there was a high possibility of break ins, I would have the children's rooms close to mine.
And you need to decide which will be worse,the legal battle after a killing (dead men tell no tales) or the legal battle after the perp sues you for shooting him?

Not sure I would consider hallway or bedroom to backdoor distances as patty cake range? The overall shot weight between 00 and 4 buck is pretty much the same and I know they both spread about the same at those distances from my Remington, dead is dead with either I'd believe, but then again I'm a 9mm guy so what do I know?
Oh and salmon, I think that "home defense" might be a bit beyond hallway distances. upon a squirrel.. occasionally. never know though

Nope, .357 S&W in the head board, a Colt Commander .45 next to it with 3 mags stacked, an ammo/battle vest fully loaded at the ready with 6-30 rnd. .223 and 3-15 rnd 9's with an additional already in the Berretta that is snapped as a thigh carry to its right side hanging on the wall 1&1/2 steps from my pillow that go with the AR on the rack beside it, look 1 rung up on the rack from there certaindeaf and you'd see that Rem express mag squirrel gun with tube extent ion loaded with yes, #4 buck shot.

Step 1 step out the bedroom door and 1 step to the left and I'm now in the gun room with all kinds of choices, ya catch that part kid, choices? Let's walk towards the living room 4 steps shall we? Due to live stock, there's a m70-06 in the Elk rack (another squirrel gun) with a 17 rnd thunder9pro on the shelf beside it. There are 2 . 380's stashed in the cooking area for Momma and a Maverick 12 hiding close by.
There's a french Mastiff in the fenced front area, a German Shepard in the fenced back and a wired for sound Queensland red healer running the front 20 acres, the only reason to shoot a home invader would be to put him out of his misery, but I'm ready with my squirrel guns if need be.

I'm not sure if you were just in an exceptionally argumentive mood last night or just what got a burr under your saddle, as I normally find your posts good, informative and worth the time. But you seemed to ridicule, demean and lash out at anyone who's opinion differed from yours. Oh well, here's too ya. The OP asked a question about home defense and I tried to answer that question directly, not to give him advice on ranch, neighborhood, one gun one load fits all instructions, but to each their own I suppose. Try to have a good day, they only made one of these today, cheers

Getting back to the original question - the "best" shotgun ammunition for home defense - I'd have to say the answer is "It depends".

If you want DRT (dead right there) lethality, OO buckshot or slugs are the best choice (although shot placement is still important); if you're concerned about penetrating walls, then something smaller and, as a result, less DRT lethal might be a better choice.

Remember, too, that the goal in home defense isn't necessarily a "clean kill", like it is in hunting, but rather to "stop the threat". I've seen a number of people shot at close range with a round of birdshot (#8 or so) who lived (after a number of surgeries), but I doubt that any of them were capable of doing anything more aggressive than copious bleeding after they were shot.

Also, your home's arrangement will dictate some of your choices, as will your neighborhood and even the changing habits of your family. I've heard of more than one person shooting someone who had broken into their house only to find it was their errant teenager or a drunk relative. Having a "less lethal" first round might be a good choice if you have family members in either of those demographics.

Jim

Nope, .357 S&W in the head board, a Colt Commander .45 next to it with 3 mags stacked, an ammo/battle vest fully loaded at the ready with 6-30 rnd. .223 and 3-15 rnd 9's with an additional already in the Berretta that is snapped as a thigh carry to its right side hanging on the wall 1&1/2 steps from my pillow that go with the AR on the rack beside it, look 1 rung up on the rack from there certaindeaf and you'd see that Rem express mag squirrel gun with tube extent ion loaded with yes, #4 buck shot.

Step 1 step out the bedroom door and 1 step to the left and I'm now in the gun room with all kinds of choices, ya catch that part kid, choices? Let's walk towards the living room 4 steps shall we? Due to live stock, there's a m70-06 in the Elk rack (another squirrel gun) with a 17 rnd thunder9pro on the shelf beside it. There are 2 . 380's stashed in the cooking area for Momma and a Maverick 12 hiding close by.
There's a french Mastiff in the fenced front area, a German Shepard in the fenced back and a wired for sound Queensland red healer running the front 20 acres, the only reason to shoot a home invader would be to put him out of his misery, but I'm ready with my squirrel guns if need be.

I'm not sure if you were just in an exceptionally argumentive mood last night or just what got a burr under your saddle, as I normally find your posts good, informative and worth the time. But you seemed to ridicule, demean and lash out at anyone who's opinion differed from yours. Oh well, here's too ya. The OP asked a question about home defense and I tried to answer that question directly, not to give him advice on ranch, neighborhood, one gun one load fits all instructions, but to each their own I suppose. Try to have a good day, they only made one of these today, cheers
I can't comment on what certaindeaf said cause I ignored him for the very reasons you stated in your post ,some time ago.:cool:
I guess I should have something next to me instead of having to walk out to the truck in my birthday suit to defend myself.:eek:

Triple ought buck followed up by more of the same! Ive had to defend myself up close once with an angry badger inside a fishhouse and he darn near won because I couldn't hit bubblegum with my .45 in the near dark and 3' away! I did punch 7 holes on the floor and walls tho, before realizing I could use my musky spear on him!

wolv1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top