JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
If your .22 rifle recoils enough to give you worries, even with four inches of eye relief, then you are holding it incorrectly. Most .22cal rifles recoil about as much as your electric toothbrush.

Of all the things you need on a scope for a .22cal rifle, a bullet drop compensator is NOT one of them. In fact, I don't know of a single scope designed for a rimfire that has such a device. It's like putting aerodynamic spoilers on a spoon.

Sight it in to shoot ONE inch high at 50 yards - you are then good to go from around 20 out to 75 yards.
Not sure how recoil and my 22 came up, but I certainly don't have that problem. I briefly changed the subject to more about scopes with my 22, and adding the article about scopes in general was an attempt to bring it back on topic. I thought the article was a good one. Obviously, the article was about the scopes that are popular now, and he thinks the average hunter does not need the power scopes that are being sold these days. The exception being people that are into competitive long-range shooting.

Funny how someone thinks 2-10 scope is too much for a newb but 3-9 is acceptable. Lol
2-10 gives you wider view and better zoom on top end...Win win.
No one is suggesting a 6-24x50 with mrad reticle.
What's that saying about scopes or glass?
Buy once cry once. Why waste time and money on 2-7 when you can just get 2-10 and most likely never want more.
To each their own

Not sure how recoil and my 22 came up

You wrote - 'At least four inches of eye relief so the rifle recoil doesn't give scope eye'.

Are we not discussing putting a scope on your .22 rifle?

IF the eye relief is short, and your eye is close up to the eyepiece, then the chances of getting a 'scope eye' with a heavy recoiling rifle is INcreased.

IF the eye relief if long, and your eye is set some way away from the eyepiece, then the chances of getting a 'scope eye' with a heavy recoiling rifle is DEcreased.

I hunt with a $1,600 scope.
I shot a bull at 450 yards at a downward angle. While he was moving. Scope or talent?
Well considering my buddy ranged it, and I dialed the reticle, and pulled the trigger, I'd say scope sand talent.
Am I good shot? Yes I'm actually a great shooter. But that scope helped me.

A scope helps to be a better shooter! "Aiming through a scope or a red dot sight completely eliminates one third of the complexity of lining up iron sights. With metallic sights you are required to line up the rear sight with the front sight and your target. With a scope, you simply have to line up your crosshairs (reticle) with your target. It's much easier to learn to shoot with a scope than iron sights, and since most rifle scopes also magnify, your target appears closer, and therefore easier to see, enabling you to place a more precise shot on your target. People with less than perfect vision are able to adjust the reticle focus at the eyepiece (ocular) for their particular eyes for a clear, crisp sight picture. Older eyes often have a difficult, if not impossible time trying to switch their focus from a rear sight to a front sight to a target as required without a scope, and it's frustrating to say the least. Scopes eliminate this frustration. (So, a scope makes anyone a better shooter! Even more, scopes aid older eyes to focus better.) Higher magnification subtracts from your exit pupil size and available light. The more magnification you have, the less light you get to your eyepiece. Aged eyes may dilate to only about four millimeters. Younger eyes may open up to seven millimeters and even more. An exit pupil much larger than your eye can use is wasted. Like drinking out of a fire hose. Cartridges and scopes get more powerful annually, and uninformed nimrods often use these combinations for whitetail deer where almost all shots are well under a hundred yards. Magnum cartridges and powerful scopes account for more missed and wounded game than standard loads with appropriate scopes. More does not mean you can shoot any farther. Bullets go faster and optics magnify more because they sell. The average deer rifle used to wear a 3-9 scope, and for good reason. Three power is low enough, with a large enough exit pupil and field of view for close shots in most applications, and nine power gives you plenty of magnification for longer shots."

I don't disagree... but I like to be able to dial the power up to see details on a buck/elk to ensure that I have a spike, or a forked horn. That said, I do carry binos that could be used for the same thing.

I also need a higher power to see the stinkin dot on the target at the 100yd range. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hunt with a $1,600 scope.
I shot a bull at 450 yards at a downward angle. While he was moving. Scope or talent?
Well considering my buddy ranged it, and I dialed the reticle, and pulled the trigger, I'd say scope sand talent.
Am I good shot? Yes I'm actually a great shooter. But that scope helped me.

:eek::eek::eek:

A scope helps to be a better shooter! "Aiming through a scope or a red dot sight completely eliminates one third of the complexity of lining up iron sights. With metallic sights you are required to line up the rear sight with the front sight and your target. With a scope, you simply have to line up your crosshairs (reticle) with your target. It's much easier to learn to shoot with a scope than iron sights, and since most rifle scopes also magnify, your target appears closer, and therefore easier to see, enabling you to place a more precise shot on your target. People with less than perfect vision are able to adjust the reticle focus at the eyepiece (ocular) for their particular eyes for a clear, crisp sight picture. Older eyes often have a difficult, if not impossible time trying to switch their focus from a rear sight to a front sight to a target as required without a scope, and it's frustrating to say the least. Scopes eliminate this frustration. (So, a scope makes anyone a better shooter! Even more, scopes aid older eyes to focus better.) Higher magnification subtracts from your exit pupil size and available light. The more magnification you have, the less light you get to your eyepiece. Aged eyes may dilate to only about four millimeters. Younger eyes may open up to seven millimeters and even more. An exit pupil much larger than your eye can use is wasted. Like drinking out of a fire hose. Cartridges and scopes get more powerful annually, and uninformed nimrods often use these combinations for whitetail deer where almost all shots are well under a hundred yards. Magnum cartridges and powerful scopes account for more missed and wounded game than standard loads with appropriate scopes. More does not mean you can shoot any farther. Bullets go faster and optics magnify more because they sell. The average deer rifle used to wear a 3-9 scope, and for good reason. Three power is low enough, with a large enough exit pupil and field of view for close shots in most applications, and nine power gives you plenty of magnification for longer shots."

I been tryin to tell you... iron sights are a waste of time and effort unless you will be hunting only in the western woods!!! (Flame ON!!) Even then, a red dot optic can let you shoot with both eyes open for FOV and still have an instant aiming aid...

Learning iron sights will help you learn how to shoot a handgun (not saying you will even shoot handguns)... IMO a waste of time unless you are going to shoot handguns. Why not learn to use a scope, and then learn to shoot a handgun when and IF you get a handgun? BTW, a bunch of us old guys are getting mini-optics for our handguns since our aging vision makes seeing the sights pretty sucky. But that's a topic for another thread> "What's the best optic for a handgun?" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:;):D

The only advantage I'm seeing to iron sights is that you can go ahead and get some shooting learned til you can afford to buy a scope.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads