JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
"So, a newbie question, if game is 300 yards away, why not move in closer to be able to tell?"

This is the smartest thing I've read on this thread.

From the mouths of babes...

That's way the scope has different power setting and so should your binoculars should too because you should always use them first before you use your scope!!! :):):)

I have a pair of these in 10x and a pair in 12x, they are lightweight and I can keep them either in a pocket, or better yet on a cord around my neck:

rBVaR1sCICGAH-mzAAFs9aj7uaE379.jpg

I really like iron sights.............. i enjoy them for many roles in my shooting disciplines.................... I know they are not the best scope for deer and elk....................................................... That will not change over time.................................................................................................................................. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Iron sights are useless in open country and you can't stalk close enough.

Hmmmm, I don't recall where anybody mentioned that. Purists have their place, but even Andy uses more than 1 type of tool... But...

As the OP, please, THIS thread is about scopes. Let's try to stay on topic!!!

That is, if you have about $2500! In my case, I have to think cost of scope, rings, cost for mounting, rangefinder, centerfire rifle, ammunition, start-up fees for range, hunting license, and someone will tell me I forgot something.

You forgot the GPS, and a cellphone if you don't already have one.

Scopes I've owned a few rifles with them...and have a grand total of two rifles with scopes now.
One is a JC Higgins Model 50 with a Leupold 3x9 the other is a Stevens Model 15 .22LR with a 6x Primary Arms scope...Both work really well.

With that said I am also a iron sight guy.
The following sights / firearms have gotten me game and won many a match.
The "Hawken" Rifle has even hit and won matches out to 200 yards...
Iron sights have worked for centuries , keeping folks fed and helping them defend themselves.

Please note that I am not saying not use a scope...just don't discount iron sights and what you can do with them....with a bit of practice.
Andy
Hawken.jpg

DSC06026.jpg

DSC06028.jpg

DSC06560.jpg

Sights 2.jpg

Sights.jpg

That is, if you have about $2500! In my case, I have to think cost of scope, rings, cost for mounting, rangefinder, centerfire rifle, ammunition, start-up fees for range, hunting license, and someone will tell me I forgot something.

You could put off the rangefinder until you are ready to take longer shots. For now, you might think of putting a deer outline target up a 100yds and getting used to that. In general, if it looks smaller out in the field, it is farther away. If it looks larger it is closer.

When you get ready to move to 200yd shots, most scopes have a way to estimate the range on a deer sized target... IMO it's a basic skill you need... what if your rangefinder goes wonky just about the time you see a deer at 200+ yards????

True enough! Two people have recommended the onx app for knowing exactly where I'm at, otherwise I could be illegally hunting on the wrong land. Obviously, the scope I can afford won't help me know my position.

Ah. You meed the ACME Jetson model... does everything, even finds the deer and pulls the trigger for ya!!!

I can show you the Onx map when we finally get to shooting
You could put off the rangefinder until you are ready to take longer shots. For now, you might think of putting a deer outline target up a 100yds and getting used to that. In general, if it looks smaller out in the field, it is farther away. If it looks larger it is closer.

When you get ready to move to 200yd shots, most scopes have a way to estimate the range on a deer sized target... IMO it's a basic skill you need... what if your rangefinder goes wonky just about the time you see a deer at 200+ yards????

Ah. You meed the ACME Jetson model... does everything, even finds the deer and pulls the trigger for ya!!!
Yes, the rangefinder is not an absolute need! Plus, I can practice at the quarry.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top