JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Hmmmm, I don't recall where anybody mentioned that. Purists have their place, but even Andy uses more than 1 type of tool... But...

As the OP, please, THIS thread is about scopes. Let's try to stay on topic!!!

I would kindly direct your attention to some previous posts on this thread, some from a source perhaps uncomfortably close.

I did not open the reference to iron sights. But I utilized that diversion of topic to illustrate my overall theme of simplicity: perhaps I accomplished this at the far end of a spectrum NOT raised by me.

I would kindly direct your attention to some previous posts on this thread, some from a source perhaps uncomfortably close.

I did not open the reference to iron sights. But I utilized that diversion of topic to illustrate my overall theme of simplicity: perhaps I accomplished this at the far end of a spectrum NOT raised by me.

Well, I never said iron sights were useless in open country or that nobody can stalk deer from 300 yds. I only point out my dislike for iron sights for older eyes, rebutted several comments insisting the learning open sights was the BEST way for a learner, and mentioned that stalking a deer from 300yds was an aquired (sp) skill.

Again, from here on... CAN WE PLEASE KEEP THE DISCUSSION TO SCOPES FOR HUNTING! You folks are like herding cats. I'm not one to insist on no topic drift, but enough about iron sights!!!!

" iron sights are a waste of time and effort unless you will be hunting only in the western woods!!!"

"If you are in an open area, how are you going to move up w/o them seeing you? In other areas, you could go around, but not in open country where 300yd shots are more the rule than the exception."

these quotes may appear vaguely familiar to the participants of this thread. (and #1 came equipped with a cheerful invitation to rebut).

No charge for this service. Drive Safely.

Those comments were directed at and for Gr8Hunter. In the first comment he is the YOU. In the second comment he is the YOU.

For his use, I stand by the first comment.

For his skill level, I stand by the second comment.

Snarky comments indicate your superior intellect. So you win. You are obviously smarter than me. And we, all of us, should take your pontifications as gospel w/o offering any differing opinions. HAPPY NOW?

Last Edited:
3-9x40 vx2 leupy will serve you well.
Used one for 25 years before I got the itch for better glass.
Interesting that you say this, because I was just reading that 3-9x40 is the overall best scope. "The average deer rifle used to wear a 3-9 scope, and for good reason. Three power is low enough, with a large enough exit pupil and field of view for close shots in most applications, and nine power gives you plenty of magnification for longer shots."

Interesting that you say this, because I was just reading that 3-9x40 is the overall best scope. "The average deer rifle used to wear a 3-9 scope, and for good reason. Three power is low enough, with a large enough exit pupil and field of view for close shots in most applications, and nine power gives you plenty of magnification for longer shots."

Could be, but the avg deer rifle in my day wore a Weaver 4x fixed power scope with a simple fine wire crosshair. ;)

This thread is NOT a discussion of iron sights vs scope usage. Doesn't matter HOW we got off-topic or WHO is to BLAME. But PLEASE let's get back on topic and STAY on topic.

For what it is worth coming from a traditional muzzleloading guy...

I really like a fixed 4 or 6 power...Or a 3x9 or 2x7 if variable powered.
Preferred brand is Leupold , along with older Weaver and Redfield scopes.

The above suggestion is simply because that is what I have the most experience with...Yes I know that those are "old fashioned"...but they still seem to work , at least for me.
Andy

AAE94700-6475-48F2-9FD3-FED8C6B145FC.jpeg :s0093:
Could be, but the avg deer rifle in my day wore a Weaver 4x fixed power scope with a simple fine wire crosshair. ;)
. Same here, obviously we're both older than the guy that wrote that. Still using a 4X, different make though.

HAPPY NOW?

I was happy when we started. I am still happy. I AM disappointed in myself for being perhaps responsible for your unhappiness.

I was accused of being responsible for misdirecting this thread while paraphrasing and making no initial reference to you: Offering simply the cherished "difference of opinion" toward a "pontification". (Which came with an invitation to do so, that could NOT have been directed at the OP.)

As to intelligence, I make no claims, as I am probably less so than persons who make those constant evaluations against themselves and others (and despite their superior intelligence are less secure about it).

I accept responsibility for our entire conflict in this venue. The hatchet is with the worms.

I imagine that Lyman peep sights are usually better made than the Williams aluminum ones. Marbles buckhorns usually look better on a gun than the factory sights. Montana Vintage Arms makes probably the very best sights for Sharps rifles.

Still happy.

Enough!

This thread has been drifted on and off topic MANY times. I remember a few pages back there were a few posts about a scope for a .22LR and nobody seemed to mind that. I don't care WHO the OP is, fact of the matter is there have been plenty of drifts that went on without anyone complaining or getting offended. Just because someone makes a thread, it doesn't mean they OWN it. So if thread drifting was really that much of a bother why wasn't it mentioned pages and pages ago?

Let's keep this fair and clean, gentlemen. Frankly it has gone on far too long than really necessary but I have kept my mouth shut and let it go.

Carry on.

Enough!

This thread has been drifted on and off topic MANY times. I remember a few pages back there were a few posts about a scope for a .22LR and nobody seemed to mind that. I don't care WHO the OP is, fact of the matter is there have been plenty of drifts that went on without anyone complaining or getting offended. Just because someone makes a thread, it doesn't mean they OWN it. So if thread drifting was really that much of a bother why wasn't it mentioned pages and pages ago?

Let's keep this fair and clean, gentlemen. Frankly it has gone on far too long than really necessary but I have kept my mouth shut and let it go.

Carry on.

Do you want an answer to your interrogative, or do you want me to submit?

This thread is as pure at the driven snow....but boy did it drift...:D

Speaking for myself...
The idea of what is "best" is fraught with potential minefields...
Simply because what is "best" for one person , may not be "best" , for another.

I freely admit a bias to iron sights and older style optics...Yet reading about the newer options has taught me a thing or two...not that I am going to switch out what or how I shoot...but it is nice to learn.

More Importantly I would like to remind all here of rule Number One...Be excellent to each other.
Andy

I felt provoked.
But, I will do as you say.

I edited my post @bbbass. Because frankly you and I have gotten to know each other over the years and I resent the idea that you or anyone else thinks that as a mod I want anyone to "Submit". I'm here to enforce the rules, and I'm sorry if you don't like that.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Submit? I resent that. And I resent your general attitude right now.

And I resent being told that I don't have the right to any input on the direction of a thread that I created. I also, as you, let it go where it wanted to go for a long time. At some point about 12 pages in, I thought that all the references to using iron sights instead of a scope were too distracting. My bad. I'm not a moderator. However, I will have to seriously evaluate the worth of starting any more threads in light of your directives.

And I resent being told that I don't have the right to any input on the direction of a thread that I created. I also, as you, let it go where it wanted to go for a long time. At some point about 12 pages in, I thought that all the references to using iron sights instead of a scope were too distracting. My bad. I'm not a moderator. However, I will have to seriously evaluate the worth of starting any more threads in light of your directives.

Convo inbound

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews