JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have the tactical teds completely taken over with their high-power variable telescopes and reticles that you need a 400 page handbook and PHD in trigonometry to use?

I just wanted to grab a decent Leupold, Bushy or Weaver 4x to throw on my old Marlin 336 to hump around the woods this fall in my yearly quest to scare away an ungulate before I got a shot.

No dice. I see some Chinese garbage, but nobody worth a salt seems to be making them anymore.

Sad times. The first hunting rifle I bought was a Rem 700 '06 that was collecting dust in the funshop. The owner threw in a Weaver 4x. I killed several unsuspecting critters with that combo and like the young dipwad I was, sold it in favor of some new whizbang rifle/scope that I also no longer have and it was so meaningless, I don't even remember what it was.

Maybe a 2-7x32-ish can suffice. I'm just not really that interested in the extra weight or parallax issues variables can have.

Such is life, and "progress". If anyone has a line on a good fixed 4x, PM me, please.

What has happened to most fixed power scopes is that variables have increased in quality and have been come cheap enough that they have edged out most fixed power scopes . When I was a kid most variables were still largely untrusted by the older generation , they had not taken off fully. We've had a good couple of generations now grow up with variables as the standard and now fixed power scopes are losers from a business standpoint.

I like a good quality 4x fixed power though for hunting out to NORMAL shooting distances (no more than 300 yards ) they keep a rifle trim and easy to carry.

Last Edited:
4x and 8x come up on here occasionally. Look around at Pawn Shops and Gun Shops in out of the way cases - you'll likely find old Simmons, Redfield, Burris, Weaver and other fixed power scopes.

some of the old japan made glass was good stuff also
Yes indeed. Clear and bright, but not so good at the low light before dawn and after dusk. Have two, I *love* how light they are.

In agreement, the old Bausch and Lomb Balvar 4 power served me well. Simple and well made that took recoil and abuse, can't say the same about variable power scopes.

Even the Weaver Classic 4x is discontinued. Must not be much profit in making a simple durable scope that lasts a long time.

I tightened my glasses and still don't see it. They have a 6x42 rifle scope, which may be plan C if I can't find anything else.
I hunted with a 6.5x20 Leupold one year.
Nice scope but I didn't like having 6.5 as my lowest setting.

There seems to be a good number of 1x4, and 1x6 scopes around.
You might take a look at those.

Have the tactical teds completely taken over with their high-power variable telescopes and reticles that you need a 400 page handbook and PHD in trigonometry to use?

I just wanted to grab a decent Leupold, Bushy or Weaver 4x to throw on my old Marlin 336 to hump around the woods this fall in my yearly quest to scare away an ungulate before I got a shot.

No dice. I see some Chinese garbage, but nobody worth a salt seems to be making them anymore.

Sad times. The first hunting rifle I bought was a Rem 700 '06 that was collecting dust in the funshop. The owner threw in a Weaver 4x. I killed several unsuspecting critters with that combo and like the young dipwad I was, sold it in favor of some new whizbang rifle/scope that I also no longer have and it was so meaningless, I don't even remember what it was.

Maybe a 2-7x32-ish can suffice. I'm just not really that interested in the extra weight or parallax issues variables can have.

Such is life, and "progress". If anyone has a line on a good fixed 4x, PM me, please.
Those scopes are in pawn shops and classified ads.

Check yard sales and pawn shops.one of these days I will figure out what scope goes on what gun. My latest find at yard sale , crystal clear weaver k4-w for 5 bucks

981373C5-75B0-46A9-88A8-6EC94198C08A.jpeg 6CB620CA-C549-4B5B-8993-F39877041209.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR