JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking to get something MIL based in the mid range zoom that is under $500.

Found Athlon and they have 2 I like. One is variable mid ranged and the other is a fixed power option. (Heras SPR 2-12 and the Talos BTR gen2)

I know nothing about Athlon and I'm looking to hear some thoughts and opinions as well as experiences with their optics.

I say $500 as I'll just get the leupold I've looked at at that price, if these aren't any good. (Vx3hd 2.5-8x36) Not MIL but I can get a CDS for my ballistics.

Are these Athlons any good?

Fixed SWFA- the only Athlon I ever had I gave to a kid for his first deer rifle as a starter scope. I have a 6, 10 and 12x fixed- all with the mil-quad reticle.

These are an excellent scope- for any money

Zingger

Fixed SWFA- the only Athlon I ever had I gave to a kid for his first deer rifle as a starter scope. I have a 6, 10 and 12x fixed- all with the mil-quad reticle.

These are an excellent scope- for any money

Zingger
Not the first time swfa has been brought up. Tell me more about the 6x vs the 10x? I'd be using it on a 17hmr so loss of field of view at closer distances may be a factor. If the 10x isn't too horrible over the 6x that could be a great pick. I'll go watch some YouTube videos!

The 10x is my go to for 22-250. Side focus, when the reticle goes crystal clear, look at the range and the rest is breathing and squeezing. The 6 is sitting on my AR- makes for a great all-around as I use a leupy 6x for any serious hunting rifle.
For the price point it is hard to beat.

I do have a 12x I am on the fence about. Its a great scope, but a touch on the over-magnification for anything close.

I picked up an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 (MIL) from a forum member and it's a pretty solid optic for the price. I got a better deal on it because it was used, but even at normal sale price it's still a nice scope for the money. Glass clarity is better than Vortex Diamondback or Crossfire in my opinion. It doesn't have the 0-stop my Bushnell has, but aside from that I'm quite happy with it.

Good, "for the money" is the qualifier I see all the time. I've looked through some and they are certainly functional and decent glass.

I disqualify them due to weight. I can't stand heavy optics on my rifles.

Good, "for the money" is the qualifier I see all the time. I've looked through some and they are certainly functional and decent glass.

That's the thing right? There is always a trade off. It's like the Cheap, Fast, and Quality work saying, you can only have 2 or the 3. I don't mind the weight in this case because I use them on a bench rest/target rifle (which is already heavy due to the long bull barrel). On a hunting or tactical rifle I would want something lighter but with good glass and reticle quality. I'm saving up for a nice scope for my AR10 and a nicer LPVO for my AR15. But since I don't hunt the other rifles get more budget friendly stuff when it comes to weight.

So I guess it really comes down to what the OP is looking to use the optic for. @Reno what are you planning to use the scope on and for what type of shooting?

That's the thing right? There is always a trade off. It's like the Cheap, Fast, and Quality work saying, you can only have 2 or the 3. I don't mind the weight in this case because I use them on a bench rest/target rifle (which is already heavy due to the long bull barrel). On a hunting or tactical rifle I would want something lighter but with good glass and reticle quality. I'm saving up for a nice scope for my AR10 and a nicer LPVO for my AR15. But since I don't hunt the other rifles get more budget friendly stuff when it comes to weight.

So I guess it really comes down to what the OP is looking to use the optic for. @Reno what are you planning to use the scope on and for what type of shooting?
Whatever I chose, it's going on a Tikka T1X 17HMR. Its use will be punching paper and squirrel hunting. Maybe an occasional rabbit.

I like both the idea of a heavy but capable optic MIL based with adjustable turrets and a lightweight scope for hunting squirrel/rabbit.

I was going to use an Arken SH4 but sold it to try their EPL line to shave some weight. They sent me 2 EPLs that back to back issues so I'm kind of over Arken for the time being.

I can't get time behind the Leupold options I like and I'm not going to buy one so I can look through it! I might break down and make an appointment at Sportsmans as that seems to be the way to get any sort of customer service there.

The SWFA has not left my thoughts but I am not sure how I feel about limiting myself 12x and watching videos the 16x looks like what I'd want anyways based on videos alone, which is sold out currently. It would be another buy to look through option, though a bit lighter option.

The Leupold FXII ultralight is also something I'd like to try and this might be a good option for, though the gun isn't exactly "light" but at least I wouldn't be adding a bunch more. It is vaperwear at the moment though and I even reached out to Leupold about the lack thereof. They just said it's a low priority model and they make them when they make them type thing. I repeatedly told the guy, "sold out everywhere," which I guess means they ain't popular :oops:

Briefly, I owned a 20x42 SWFA. It was just too much. Not as good of eye relief, and was hard to set just so. Having a 6, 10 and 12, the side focus on the 10 is my favorite. For the AR- the 6. The 12 is on standby.

Whatever I chose, it's going on a Tikka T1X 17HMR. Its use will be punching paper and squirrel hunting. Maybe an occasional rabbit.

I like both the idea of a heavy but capable optic MIL based with adjustable turrets and a lightweight scope for hunting squirrel/rabbit.

I was going to use an Arken SH4 but sold it to try their EPL line to shave some weight. They sent me 2 EPLs that back to back issues so I'm kind of over Arken for the time being.

I can't get time behind the Leupold options I like and I'm not going to buy one so I can look through it! I might break down and make an appointment at Sportsmans as that seems to be the way to get any sort of customer service there.

The SWFA has not left my thoughts but I am not sure how I feel about limiting myself 12x and watching videos the 16x looks like what I'd want anyways based on videos alone, which is sold out currently. It would be another buy to look through option, though a bit lighter option.

The Leupold FXII ultralight is also something I'd like to try and this might be a good option for, though the gun isn't exactly "light" but at least I wouldn't be adding a bunch more. It is vaperwear at the moment though and I even reached out to Leupold about the lack thereof. They just said it's a low priority model and they make them when they make them type thing. I repeatedly told the guy, "sold out everywhere," which I guess means they ain't popular :oops:
While it's not specifically designed for hunting, I'd checkout the Bushnell Match Pro. I really like the optic and it comes it right at $400 for the illuminated (which I'd assume you'd want for hunting). Has a lot of great features, good clarity, and has a solid 6-24x zoom. https://www.bushnell.com/scopes/view-all-riflescopes/match-pro-6-24x50-riflescope/P2178035.html

SWFA 10x mil-mil w/ side focus is what I have on my long distance rig. The glass is clear and the reticle is very fine. I have received compliments on it from experienced long distance shooters, FWIW.

That's why I sold an Arken I briefly had. Way too heavy. Other than that the glass was pretty damn good and the turrets are excellent.

Unfortunately there is no PSA for scopes, where you can find something inexpensive that works well. With scopes you get exactly what you pay for.

I picked up an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 (MIL) from a forum member and it's a pretty solid optic for the price. I got a better deal on it because it was used, but even at normal sale price it's still a nice scope for the money. Glass clarity is better than Vortex Diamondback or Crossfire in my opinion. It doesn't have the 0-stop my Bushnell has, but aside from that I'm quite happy with it.
I have two of these, and i really like them, i have them on two of my range rifles, (little bit heavy for a hunting rifle, as i pack light), very clear glass very positive clicks, i am happy with them.

Meopta makes awesome glass and pretty much everything is made in-house even on their budget lines. They're an OEM for other optics companies as well. The Optika 6 line punches way above the price point and they make almost nothing off of them just so they can get a foot in the door in the American market. They're already very popular in Europe.

Another good budget option is a Leupold VX5HD (same glass as VX6HD and Mark 5). Heck, a basic duplex with their CDS dial can be a pretty effective long range tool. They'll send you one free custom ranging dial based on your setup and geographic location. Range it, click it, shoot it.

Last Edited:
I had an Athlon Ares (I think BTR?) ...anyways it was the older generation model. It was something crazy like 7-28 magnification out of a 30mm tube.
Honestly, once you look through better glass, that stuff can't compare. I heard the upgrade to the newer Ares was pretty significant though for not much more $$.
I picked up a Steiner P4xi 4-16 and the glass in that thing is great (to me). It was like going from an old movie to BluRay in terms of clarity enhancement. Big fan of German glass now. Zeiss has really been grabbing my attention lately. As far as lower budget optics, may want to look at the Arken EP5 which has Japanese glass and you can find them for $400 on their discount code.

I've got 4 Athlon's and love them. I run a Cronus 4.5-27x56 on my competition 6mm Dasher, a Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 on my competition .22 LR, and 2 of the Midas Tac 6-24x50 on my kids .22LR. I prefer my Cronus over my Vortex Razor Gen ii. Personally I feel I've got better eye relief out of my Cronus.

20220304_203626.jpg

Athlon optics have become my go to option, replacing Vortex. There are many lower choice options in every major optic manufacturer that will give you "decent for the money" options. The Athlon Talos line is a great low cost choice with very clear glass. I'm not sure about their entry level Neos line but the Talos are good to go and light enough for a hunting rifle. I do have a Argos BTR 5-35x56 on a long range gun but pretty heavy for a hunting rifle. Most reviews that I read on it was that it compared to optics in the $1000-1200 range and only cost me about $400. I have zero complaints with it other than I wouldn't want to pack it around all day on a hunting rifle. I had a hard time finding anything bad about the Athlon brand when researching them after they kept coming up on long distance shooting forums. They also have a forever warranty and all the specs you'd want in quality optics.

Also, as @P7M13 stated, the Burris Fullfield E1 scopes are pretty nice but don't have an AO option on them (if you care).

Amazon has the Talos 6-24x50 SFP, illuminated reticle with the 600 BDC for $230. There are other less magnification options available too for slightly less money.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews