JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You might consider a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 that Leupold used to offer. 11.1 oz in weight and smaller 33 mm objective. I have a couple of them, and there are probably a few new ones hanging around if you look.

agree that variable scopes reliability have replaced fixies. Seems like the fixed 4 was just a compromise back then between power and functionality, 4x is a great all around setting for hunting providing a balance between zoom and field of view.
I think if I wanted to go UL on the scope and not needing a variable that zoomed in that much there are several 1-4x range variables that are just as compact and light weight as youd want from a fixed 4. The reliability is there.

since Im there, there is a fixed 2.5X leupold in the mix of other good options...

I have a Leupold M8 four power on both my 9.3*62 husky and my 257 Roberts. I find both to be a good match for the rifles and their purposes.

In agreement, the old Bausch and Lomb Balvar 4 power served me well. Simple and well made that took recoil and abuse, can't say the same about variable power scopes.

Even the Weaver Classic 4x is discontinued. Must not be much profit in making a simple durable scope that lasts a long time.
Came across one of those today. Remarkably solid, made in Rochester, NY.

Have the tactical teds completely taken over with their high-power variable telescopes and reticles that you need a 400 page handbook and PHD in trigonometry to use?

I just wanted to grab a decent Leupold, Bushy or Weaver 4x to throw on my old Marlin 336 to hump around the woods this fall in my yearly quest to scare away an ungulate before I got a shot.

No dice. I see some Chinese garbage, but nobody worth a salt seems to be making them anymore.

Sad times. The first hunting rifle I bought was a Rem 700 '06 that was collecting dust in the funshop. The owner threw in a Weaver 4x. I killed several unsuspecting critters with that combo and like the young dipwad I was, sold it in favor of some new whizbang rifle/scope that I also no longer have and it was so meaningless, I don't even remember what it was.

Maybe a 2-7x32-ish can suffice. I'm just not really that interested in the extra weight or parallax issues variables can have.

Such is life, and "progress". If anyone has a line on a good fixed 4x, PM me, please.

At 16oz, it is not the lightest of scopes out there, but it appears to be a high quality, no frills scope that is backed by overwhelmingly positive reviews!

Have the tactical teds completely taken over with their high-power variable telescopes and reticles that you need a 400 page handbook and PHD in trigonometry to use?

I just wanted to grab a decent Leupold, Bushy or Weaver 4x to throw on my old Marlin 336 to hump around the woods this fall in my yearly quest to scare away an ungulate before I got a shot.

No dice. I see some Chinese garbage, but nobody worth a salt seems to be making them anymore.

Sad times. The first hunting rifle I bought was a Rem 700 '06 that was collecting dust in the funshop. The owner threw in a Weaver 4x. I killed several unsuspecting critters with that combo and like the young dipwad I was, sold it in favor of some new whizbang rifle/scope that I also no longer have and it was so meaningless, I don't even remember what it was.

Maybe a 2-7x32-ish can suffice. I'm just not really that interested in the extra weight or parallax issues variables can have.

Such is life, and "progress". If anyone has a line on a good fixed 4x, PM me, please.

check 2nd hand stores and antique malls, the ones that rent spaces out sometimes has big surprises show up from some
Some show up on this site . most ive seen get ignored due to age . They Ain't tacticool , LOL

These guys refurbish older scopes and sell some of them as well. If you are really looking for a "quality old 4x scope" they may have one that fits the bill and is all polished up with new nitrogen. I have an old Weaver 4x that I sent them from a Remington 700 my father gave me getting rebuilt now.

If you send a old one into Leupold, be careful and talk to them first. You might not get it back, if they don't have the parts to rebuild it. They will give you a "discounted" price on one of their new ones (of which, they no longer sell a fixed 4x rifle scope). I had to argue a bit to get my Grandfather's glossy 1970s 4x back.

Used Leupold M8 4x $240 Buy Now price, $200 min bid. 9days

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907516387

1628173910123.png

The Vortex and Primary Arms prism optics are terrific and most certainly not "garbage" despite being made in China (just like the phone I'm typing on now). The reticles are easy to use and intuitive. Prism optics are robust and allow those with astigmatism to have clear reticles. They're also etched so even if a battery dies you're still good to go. I also have an ACOG 3.5x, an Elcan 4x fixed, an Elcan 1x/4x, etc. Those options aren't significantly nicer optically, just more durable.

The Vortex and Primary Arms prism optics are terrific and most certainly not "garbage" despite being made in China (just like the phone I'm typing on now). The reticles are easy to use and intuitive. Prism optics are robust and allow those with astigmatism to have clear reticles. They're also etched so even if a battery dies you're still good to go. I also have an ACOG 3.5x, an Elcan 4x fixed, an Elcan 1x/4x, etc. Those options aren't significantly nicer optically, just more durable.
They dont look right on a classic rifle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top