JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I watched my local Safeway burning after being looted during the Rodney King riots in Long Beach, I had to point my shot gun out my front door several times to deter uninvited visitors. I actually took my skill saw and cut a trap door to under the house, thru the hardwood floor in the kids bedroom closet to stash my kids with guns

and I lived in a nice section of town ....ALWAYS BE PREPARED

A nice section of Long Beach. Learn something new every day.

With a child in the house, if a gun is not on me, it is secured in some way, in a safe, or some other locking method that allows me as quick access as possible while being child safe. Once she moves out, I may be more willing to have something more readily available. And, my daughter is well versed on keeping hands off of a gun, but I don't tempt fate - as they say, locks keep honest people honest.

Last Edited:
12 gauge with #8 bird shot

I make no judgments on what a grown and EDUCATED man decides to use to defend himself. His life, his choice. But folks, please don't go recommending bird shot to people unless YOU fully explain the pros and cons of the round. You don't know who is reading your suggestion. It could be a first time gun owner with very little knowledge. And this is a round that can get you killed if you don't understand it's limitations.

For starters there is no law enforcement agency or credible professional trainer that I'm aware of that recommends the use of bird shot in a defensive gun. This alone should tell you something. It's widely regarded that bird shot lacks the necessary penetration to effectively reach vital organs and stop a threat. Might it be enough to stop a fight in some situations? Yea...at closer ranges (7 yards give or take) it will likely give a nasty wound that MAY stop a less determined assailant...might even kill him. But what about at longer distances? Are you 100% certain your fight is going to stay at the 7 yard mark? What if the guy who broke into your house is wearing a motor cycle helmet and leather jacket? Still want bird shot? What if the guy is hopped up on drugs? Still want bird shot? What if you actually need to take a shot through a door or wall? Still want bird shot?

I mean no disrespect folks. But please be careful in the defensive choices you make...and the advice that you give out. People's lives may literally depend on it.

Thank you!

I make no judgments on what a grown and EDUCATED man decides to use to defend himself. His life, his choice. But folks, please don't go recommending bird shot to people unless YOU fully explain the pros and cons of the round. You don't know who is reading your suggestion. It could be a first time gun owner with very little knowledge. And this is a round that can get you killed if you don't understand it's limitations.

For starters there is no law enforcement agency or credible professional trainer that I'm aware of that recommends the use of bird shot in a defensive gun. This alone should tell you something. It's widely regarded that bird shot lacks the necessary penetration to effectively reach vital organs and stop a threat. Might it be enough to stop a fight in some situations? Yea...at closer ranges (7 yards give or take) it will likely give a nasty wound that MAY stop a less determined assailant...might even kill him. But what about at longer distances? Are you 100% certain your fight is going to stay at the 7 yard mark? What if the guy who broke into your house is wearing a motor cycle helmet and leather jacket? Still want bird shot? What if the guy is hopped up on drugs? Still want bird shot? What if you actually need to take a shot through a door or wall? Still want bird shot?

I mean no disrespect folks. But please be careful in the defensive choices you make...and the advice that you give out. People's lives may literally depend on it.

Thank you!

if you are shooting through a door or a wall you are a dumbass. Period.

Your life was never in jeopardy.

Dumbest bubblegum I have read today. You aware of the size of a birdshot pattern at even 10 yards? 7? Over penetration is important to me and .32 caliber 00BK sure loves drywall.

Yeah and I run a modified choke too... in an 8+1 semi auto. But that won't stop anything man sized I guess from sheer shock factor.

Guys. Just curious how many folks here actually have been in a situation where you have to utilize the HD weapons you planned? Trying to figure out what is a good balance on the # of guns I should have VS having one in every room. I AM a true believer that A gun in the home has to be locked up in a safe or not easily accessible for kids
So my solution to the issue of accessibility, is its on my hip during waking hours and on my nightstand during sleeping hours. IT depends on the season, but is typically a 1911 fitted with Crimson Trace laser grips...

Never have dealt with an invasion while home, but if it were to happen, I'll light 'em up once with the laser, they make the decision If they really want to be lit up a second time...

Practice home defense techniques, use picture frames to gain visibility to blind spots... Reflections are key...

Dumbest bubblegum I have read today. You aware of the size of a birdshot pattern at even 10 yards? 7? Over penetration is important to me and .32 caliber 00BK sure loves drywall.

Yeah and I run a modified choke too... in an 8+1 semi auto. But that won't stop anything man sized I guess from sheer shock factor.

Yea, I figured you were going to get your feathers ruffled a bit. The bird shot types always do. I can think of any number of scenarios where it might be prudent and reasonable to fire through a wall. Like if you have a gunfight going on inside your house and the bad guy is firing at you from concealment behind an interior door or wall.

Have a good night Sir.

The Use of Bird Shot is for the very reasons people would choose a Shot gun in the first place! Unlike Buck or Slug, bird shot isn't likely to cause lethal injuries once it passes through a wall, it also will not likely leave the home should you shoot and miss!!! I can tell you from vast experience that Bird shot is VERY DEADLY when confined inside a home, and THAT is where it comes into it's own! I have personally seen what Bird shot (duster loads) do to the human body, and I can tell you, it's NASTY!!! And to the "Professionals" that preach Buck or slug, STFU and do some actual Scientific testing before running off about lethality and penetration for an HD situ! In short, if you are using Buck or slug, I don't wanna be neighbors with ya, or even in the same neighborhood! IF you use the argument that "It's what the cops use" your asking for a Sh!t storm of legal troubles if you shoot and if that shot goes through your home and kills the little girl next door, YOU have one hell of a sad deal to live with!!! SO before recommending Something OTHER then bird shot, You better get informed and do so right quick and in a hurry like!!! :eek:

what about someone who cant afford a security system? Where should they invest in first, a gun or a security system?

Well, Koda, I can only answer for my self, I'd have a gun before anything else. I've never had a security system except on vehicles!
We have always had Dobermans, Rottweilers, a Bull Mastif, a Newfoundland, an Airedale and a couple of big mutts! We are just dog lovers and I trust any dog I've trained in any sort of bad situation!
Unfortunately, we had to put Lilly, our Bull Mastif, down early last November, and haven't been able to get a new friend yet!
But, we are both retired and mostly home. Have security outer doors and a steel inner front door. Both outside doors have a lot of reinforcement, steel hinge covers, 4 and 6" screws into double 2X4 door frames, 18" striker plates and on and on! Other things I'm not putting in writing! :eek::D:confused:

Sgt Nambu brings up another good point, A secured home is one that has "Defensive layers" and many can be done on the Cheap. I Built my home, and was able to incorporate many layers into the build, but most can be retrofitted to existing home's with out a huge over haul! The big ones are doors and windows. I did Steel frames and double locks with inward hinges and reinforced the areas around them to prevent prying or cutting! Outside, the type of Plant life you have close to the house can deter would be thieves or trouble makers! These and other mods to the home can and do work far better then a Security system!!!

Also, I believe that the question was, "What do you use for HD?"

That was answered, I saw no advisement!

Can't We All Just Get Along??? :):):)

Last Edited:
what about someone who cant afford a security system? Where should they invest in first, a gun or a security system?

Some people don't buy gun safes either. Often times, people don't buy gun safes and burglar alarms systems until AFTER they have been burglarized. So you could certainly always wait and get either a gun safe or a burglar alarm later, and hope that you are not burglarized in the meantime.

Simplisafe has a nice basic Alarm System package on sale through Monday for $400. It is pretty similar to my setup. Except that I have an extra siren, and I have sensors on all 4 of my doors, and all 7 of my windows in my duplex. In fact, it only costs another $120 additional beyond this package, to equal my configuration.

Of course, someday one might even be legally obligated to own a gun safe, or maybe even a burglar alarm. Many gun control groups blame gun violence on the easy availability of black market guns that have been burglarized from homes.

So the safe storage of firearms is now a hot political topic too. There are ethical concerns regarding what obligations a gun owner has.

SimpliSafe: Home Security Systems

In any event, having the security system, and the panic button on the keychain remote in my pocket, also gives me a non-lethal option that I can initially employ, in case of someone breaking in while I am home.

I used to think that was just a remote possibility. But thieves seem to be more brazen and reckless these days.

Last Edited:
Guys. Just curious how many folks here actually have been in a situation where you have to utilize the HD weapons you planned? Trying to figure out what is a good balance on the # of guns I should have VS having one in every room. I AM a true believer that A gun in the home has to be locked up in a safe or not easily accessible for kids
How many of us have had to actually use a fire extinguisher for its designed purpose?

So you could certainly always wait and get either a gun safe or a burglar alarm later, and hope that you are not burglarized in the meantime.
thats seems to be what most people do. Not necessarily that there is anything wrong with that.....

but I do agree with your point. Many people who buy a gun for home protection don't usually have an immediate need for it and should look at the rest of their situation, the gun should never be your first and only line of home defense. I also whole heartedly agree that if you own a gun you should own a safe...

I have an alarm system similar to the Simplisafe... but cheaper. That one looks much nicer and better quality. Its tempting to upgrade while that one is on sale but right now its a bad time with Christmas coming.

Ya know, in a pinch you can use a CO2 extinguisher for defense! They spray cold stuff and are really heavy, for their size. You can chill your beer with them too! ;)

fixed it for you...

kudos for securing your guns. It doesnt matter how many you have and there is too many variables for anyone to say what a good balance is. Id say a main full size safe somewhere and then a small quick access pistol safe mounted somewhere in the master bedroom is a good balance.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top