JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a safe full of stuff that I suppose could be used for home defense but there are qualifiers and disqualifiers concerning firearms that make it suitable for HD that make me narrow it down. Keep in mind this is my own opinion and I dont follow herds much so you may disagree and have your own opinion about what makes a home defense gun perfect or suitable for your needs.

1. A Perfect HD gun is a gun I can afford to lose because its probably not going to stay in the safe much. Its going to be somewhere I can get to fast but its not out in the open because I'm not going to put it in and out all the time. If a thief comes in my house he's going to find it after a few minutes one way or another. So it best be a gun I can easily replace. Lugers and Colts arent going out there I dont care how well they they are insured.

2. I don't want over penetration. I know how many walls a rifle and a pistol will go through because Ive shot through old houses. If it will go through 2 walls and still have enough energy to penetrate the neighbor girls skull its not something I want to use to protect my home. For me that disqualifies rifles and just about any handgun bigger than a 9mm. Most of my handguns are 45 Colt and 45 ACP . Both will easily blow through 2 walls with enough zip left to do lethal damage.

3. Its going to be 100% reliable.

So for me and my needs its going to be my Remington 11-87 semi 12 gauge. Ive owned it for 10 years and its never skipped a beat. With 18" choked Police barrel, Mesa Tactical stock with pistol grip , extended safety and extended tube. 8 rounds in the gun . #4 Buck in the tube. It will do 2 walls from 20 foot away but not another layer of sheetrock so the stopping power is right for what I want.

The gun you bet your life on should be a) absolutely reliable and b) the gun you shoot best...whether that's a $500 Glock or a $3000 Wilson Combat. And if it happens to be the Wilson and police confiscate it after the shooting, they can keep the damn thing for all I care...and it will still be the best money I've ever sent.

Defensive guns outside the safe should be stored in a quick access lock box when you're not around. Because it would suck to walk in on a thief and get shot with your own gun. YMMV

All I'm going to say is that this came off my first line of home defense. If you get past him, then you will probably have to deal with my kids (think Home Alone... extreme). If you're lucky, I will get to you first. Then there will be police involved. Or maybe there won't..... Just saying.

IMG_20161107_112330.jpg

Geez, Wired, get a quick-open shotgun safe. Do you really want to leave a loaded (or even unloaded) weapon unattended in your house? I would be permanently damaged if somebody stole an unlocked gun from me and killed someone with it. And maybe physically damaged if I walked in on someone stealing a loaded 12 gauge. :eek:

Something like this, ShotLock. Press a three to five combination, your choice! I use a three number. Click, click, click, probably less than a second! It's got a full load of 3" #4 Buck.

IMG_0444.JPG

Last Edited:
I'll echo the line of thought that your home defense gun needs to be reliable.
Also I'll toss out the idea that the ammo needs to be just as reliable as the gun.

Neither has to be what some expert on the internet , in a magazine , on TV or in a store says that you need to have.
But it does need to be a gun and ammo combination that you can shoot well , at any and all times with little to no thought by you.
Andy

Something like this, ShotLock. Press a three to five combination, your choice! I use a three number. Click, click, click, probably less than a second! It's got a full load of 3" #4 Buck!

View attachment 325393

I've thought of getting one of those. Just out of curiosity, how secure would you say it is? Could someone get the gun out without damaging the gun? Or would trying to get it out likely damage the gun? I just like to avoid the thought of one of my own guns pointing at me when I get home, and that looks like a good option.

What gun do you use for home defense?

There is a G20 on my side, and an assorted 9mm & .45ACP Glock pistols scattered about. Then there is a 9mm Sub-2000 with a happy stick, and if the need arises where I need a rifle - I'll open the safe.

Front Door: Sig P226 .40
Back Door: Hi-Point 9mm
Kitchen: Davis Derringer .32
Living Room: Colt King Cobra .357. Taurus TCP .380
Bed Room: S&W Shield 9mm, Walther PPK/S .380, Sig P226 9mm, Tavor .556
Rec Room/Office: Colt 1911 .45

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show