JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just out of curiosity, how secure would you say it is? Could someone get the gun out without damaging the gun? Or would trying to get it out likely damage the gun?
I've owned a Shotlock and currently use their version for the ar15. The shell and lock are strong enough that the gun would get hurt before the shotlock failed.

With one super-big caveat. The design creates a very effective lever on which a thief could pull to remove the whole shebang. It is only as safe as the screws are holding it to the wall. I think the lock could survive until the BG gets home to grind it off.

There are lots and lots of ways to secure it firmly to the wall, but you have to think that through.

I have a silenced Glock 22 with red dot and a silenced lightweight AR in 5.56.

The OP wrote that rifle rounds go through many walls. That is true, except the 5.56 round has been shown to tumble and penetrate fewer walls than most other rifle rounds.

For me that disqualifies rifles and just about any handgun bigger than a 9mm. Most of my handguns are 45 Colt and 45 ACP . Both will easily blow through 2 walls with enough zip left to do lethal damage
Me thinks you're underestimating the 9mm.

That aside, I use a 1911 and an AR for home defense for now.

Bedside - Full size Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm with TLR-4 lase/light combo. Secomday/Perimeter Defense - Beretta CX4 9mm carbine w/30 round mag and Bushnell TRS25 optic. Also, for back up a CZ 612 HC-P 12 ga tactical pump shotgun Long range zombie defense - Ruger SR556 with a Burris AR-332 optic. Last straw/end of the world - Uberti copy of the 1858 Remington New Army cap and ball revolver in .44. Plus a bunch of other things large and small and deadly.

Guys. Just curious how many folks here actually have been in a situation where you have to utilize the HD weapons you planned? Trying to figure out what is a good balance on the # of guns I should have VS having one in every room. I AM a true believer that A gun in the home has to be locked up in a safe or not easily accessible for kids

artc1688,
I have.
lucky for everyone involved , the crook left when I said "I have a gun you need to leave!"
( There is a bit more to the story ... but that's what it boiled down to )

For me and where we live, I feel comfortable with only a gun or two , if its hunting season , doing duty as a house gun.
Andy

Guys. Just curious how many folks here actually have been in a situation where you have to utilize the HD weapons you planned? Trying to figure out what is a good balance on the # of guns I should have VS having one in every room. I AM a true believer that A gun in the home has to be locked up in a safe or not easily accessible for kids

A couple of times, thankfully no need to shoot! On the other hand, I have and do go to the door often with the Beretta 92 in my hand. But not immediately visible!

My home defense plan... (two adults, no kids, two big enough dogs) 9mm in closet with night sights in gun cabinet unlocked at night.
9mm in work bag on dog crate within reach.
.40 on nightstand with flashlight.

Only needed to have them available a couple times, all diffused quietly.
I have something nearby while vertical.

Currently on the head board is a Springfield XD 9mm with a Glock flashlight mounted on it. My wife shoots it better than her Glock.

Beside the bed I keep an AR15 M4 clone with a Stream light flash light mounted on it. I do not worry about walls as where I live it will never hit a neighbor unless they are the ones breaking in.

I have never had to use either for home defense yet but do practice different scenarios just in case.

Not everyone has ankle biters around. And although I haven't been the victim of a home invasion yet, I still wear seatbelts and use my motorcycle helmet, tho not at the same time. :p

I have a safe full of stuff that I suppose could be used for home defense but there are qualifiers and disqualifiers concerning firearms that make it suitable for HD that make me narrow it down. Keep in mind this is my own opinion and I dont follow herds much so you may disagree and have your own opinion about what makes a home defense gun perfect or suitable for your needs.

1. A Perfect HD gun is a gun I can afford to lose because its probably not going to stay in the safe much. Its going to be somewhere I can get to fast but its not out in the open because I'm not going to put it in and out all the time. If a thief comes in my house he's going to find it after a few minutes one way or another. So it best be a gun I can easily replace. Lugers and Colts arent going out there I dont care how well they they are insured.

2. I don't want over penetration. I know how many walls a rifle and a pistol will go through because Ive shot through old houses. If it will go through 2 walls and still have enough energy to penetrate the neighbor girls skull its not something I want to use to protect my home. For me that disqualifies rifles and just about any handgun bigger than a 9mm. Most of my handguns are 45 Colt and 45 ACP . Both will easily blow through 2 walls with enough zip left to do lethal damage.

3. Its going to be 100% reliable.

So for me and my needs its going to be my Remington 11-87 semi 12 gauge. Ive owned it for 10 years and its never skipped a beat. With 18" choked Police barrel, Mesa Tactical stock with pistol grip , extended safety and extended tube. 8 rounds in the gun . #4 Buck in the tube. It will do 2 walls from 20 foot away but not another layer of sheetrock so the stopping power is right for what I want.

I would simply press the panic button on my security system's remote keychain.

I have THREE sirens hooked up to my security system. The standard one that comes with the base unit, and two extra powerful sirens: one inside my home, and another one on the roof.

The sirens are so extremely loud. The sound is quite deafening when the alarm goes off. Any ordinary burglar or prowler is going to be very startled, and flee immediately.

Sometime this past Friday night, a neighbor on my street that lives just two blocks west of me had their duplex burglarized while they were asleep. I find it amazing that people are actually breaking into occupied homes.

If you let someone get inside your home, then your security precautions have failed you, and you have done a poor job in securing your home.

A gun should be the very last resort for protecting your home. If you have let things get that far, then you have screwed up, in my opinion, and not looked at the big picture.

I do not have neighbors near enough or kids at home, so my H.D. set up is mostly for the very rare unwelcome visitor or predators that roam through! Front door is a 97 trench .12 gau loaded with #2 buck, back door is ether a CETME or FAL, and besides the 1911 on my hip, I keep a CZ 82 on the nightstand! Wife has her 1911 compact and the S/W Shield on her night stand!

I would simply press the panic button on my security system's remote keychain.

I have THREE sirens hooked up to my security system. The standard one that comes with the base unit, and two extra powerful sirens: one inside my home, and another one on the roof.

The sirens are so extremely loud. The sound is quite deafening when the alarm goes off. Any ordinary burglar or prowler is going to be very startled, and flee immediately.

Sometime this past Friday night, a neighbor on my street that lives just two blocks west of me had their duplex burglarized while they were asleep. I find it amazing that people are actually breaking into occupied homes.

If you let someone get inside your home, then your security precautions have failed you, and you have done a poor job in securing your home.

A gun should be the very last resort for protecting your home. If you have let things get that far, then you have screwed up, in my opinion, and not looked at the big picture.

what about someone who cant afford a security system? Where should they invest in first, a gun or a security system?

I watched my local Safeway burning after being looted during the Rodney King riots in Long Beach, I had to point my shot gun out my front door several times to deter uninvited visitors. I actually took my skill saw and cut a trap door to under the house, thru the hardwood floor in the kids bedroom closet to stash my kids with guns

and I lived in a nice section of town ....ALWAYS BE PREPARED

Glock 19. Streamlight TLR-3. Trijicon HD sights and 15 little friends that can run faster than any bad guy can.

Unfortunately, I've had 3 times in my life where I pointed a weapon at someone. I'm thankful that we BOTH walked away each time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top