JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A good source for used and police trade ins is Outdoors Superstore. They have Smith and Wesson semi autos now.
Id buy more if i was shooting more. I mostly have guns for purposes, not so much just to have more(as of now)
At some point, i want something for woods carry, 9mm carbine, annnndd....more of my ar15 lowers built.

Just got an ultrasonic cleaner, so the 9mm Springfield 1911 went in, and came out all but spotless. Ran most of the Kel-Tec Cp33 through it, and it runs much better now. Put the HK 416 .22lr bolt through it, and that helped. Very nice range day, today, I remember when I couldn't hit much with that Springfield. Now, it is running 2" groups at speed from close range. ( 7 yd)

Started pulling down my SMLE for an overall clean as well as replacing the old extractor spring. Also making my own firing pin removal tool from an old socket.

IMG_20200418_163402.jpg

IMG_20200418_222140.jpg

IMG_20200418_231959.jpg

I'm kinda of strict about cleaning my firearms after use. Every time after I shoot, I clean. That includes the gas guns getting a thorough cleaning. Match shooters tell me they don't clean but once a year. All that nice carbon build-up helps keep them tight. I'm not a match shooter, complete reliability is more to my agenda. When I open up the BCG in an AR and see all that carbon and crud, it has to go. Or an M1 Rifle with green verdigris deposits on the op rod piston.

My cousin Rich is the opposite. He figures it doesn't hurt a gun to stay dirty. Leaves the barrels to sit for years without oil, really. I've cleaned some of his that he asked me to sell for him, some had acquired minor pitting in the bores from sitting unclean and dry for so long. One had a firing pin nearly frozen up because the oil had hardened in the bolt.

I bet it looked like this:

:D
The smile on that kid's face is vaguely disturbing.

Anyway
I broke my G-19 down for cleaning...2 weeks ago
And finally cleaned it and my G-41, EVO Scorpion and the Stribog
Damn! I was productive and my reward is I can walk in my office again!
Well, sort of...:D

Dad got this 1894 SRC when Grandpa died in '69. Grandpa wasn't a gun guy or much of a hunter and there was no clue as to where or when he picked up this 30 WCF.
With the exception of my failed "restoration" of this gun 40+ years ago, the last 50 years have obviously been much easier on it than the first 50.
I remember using Dad's Outer's aluminum rod to clean the bore from the muzzle, but I know I wasn't the one that wore away all of the lands! My nephew used it on an elk hunt about 8 years ago and got acceptable (enough) accuracy. That's the only time it's been shot by anyone in the last 30 years or so. I'm curious to see what I can do with it now, but am not optimistic now that I've seen the bore.
I ripped it all of the way down and went to work. I recently went after the cleaning on a 70 year old rifle I'd picked up, but this 102 yr old was even worse... The first stack of dirty patches was large enough it took two hands to gather them all up.
20200419_133248.jpg 20200419_115930.jpg

Today I am on the second shift of cleaning my Remington 700 Varmint. I gave in to the J B bore paste and a little bit of bronze brushing. It is starting to get to the sanitary state it needs to be in before load testing commences.

Crude bolt tool made, it's pretty ugly but it fits like a glove.

IMG_20200420_160311.jpg
IMG_20200420_155835.jpg

Ended up having to fix someone else's mess; the top of the firing pin was peened over incorrectly (pin not screwed in correctly last time someone had it out) and it was stopping the lock screw going in far enough. No before pics, but thanks to @Velzey for suggesting i Dremeling the metal back straight again.

IMG_20200421_231205.jpg

IMG_20200422_161306.jpg

Well this thread died early :(

Did no one clean anything this past year? seems like the year to do it all :D
In my world, that Enfield is *still* in pieces on the gun desk :oops:

We've not been shooting a lot, but I've been been doing a bunch of long overdue maintenance in the last year, or so. Some on guns I've had for a long time, but most are new to me. The Winchester shown a few posts above is one, along with an early 50's Model 70.
This new one is for my grandson and it's getting a thorough cleaning, along with refinishing! Couldn't tell you the last time this one was taken apart and scrubbed completely.
20201212_153341.jpg 20210101_122953.jpg
The finish actually looks good compared to the gunk built up in this critter. I'll be breaking it down to the pins this week.

In case anyone's interested. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...t-to-do-with-a-banged-up-ol-marlin-25.352796/

Next up? This little one. Worked well with the LR cylinder, but the Magnum wasn't a reliable thing...
It was dirty when I got it. The gripframe has been painted. Coming to a cleaning bench soon!

Peacemaker a.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top