JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a diversion from our usual threads I am starting this gun nerd thread. What crusty, dusty or musty firearms did you clean today?

I purchased a Magpul MOE fore end for my Smith and Wesson MP 10 at a local purveyor of fine modern sporting equipment. 5150 Tactical in Monmouth, Or. I needed to clean a pile of rifles and some handguns after the last two shooting trips. So I figured that I would combine fore arm installation with a thorough cleaning.

S&W put a 5 R barrel on it so it cleaned up quickly. I used Modern Spartan Systems Carbon Destroyer then some of their accuracy oil. A one piece Dewey rod with a Pierce jag was used to send beautiful cotton patches down the bore.

All that worked out fine. Then I moved on to the new fore arm. The original one lacked any heat shields and it didn't inspire confidence as to mounting a Harris bipod. I struggled with the parts then read the directions. It went on like butter. Earlier I installed an A2 buttstock. The idea there was to use my lead wedge that fits into the cubby hole in the stock. It needs to be trimmed first.

We have been shooting the AR 10 with Troy BUIS.

More cleaning tomorrow. The CZ 455 Precision Trainer then the 8x57. Maybe some reloading too.

Usually I keep the carry guns clean but the range guns I run them until they so filthy they soil my clothing. I had failures to chamber on a 40 S&W tactical XD ithat probably had around 4,000 rounds of my reloads consisting of 180 gn Missiouri bullets and 5.7 Gn. of 231. I scraped out the chamber to finish my range day then cleaned put the barrel and chamber with a bore brush. February I totally disassembled the pistol and it was jam packed with powder crud and sand yes sand!! It took some work to get the pistol spotless and the magazines they were packed with sand and powder crud as well.

I clean our guns after every practice session and finally had to do a detailed strip of my 9mm 1911. Shooting very soft reloads for steel challenge the 1911 was filthy inside after what I estimate was 5000 rounds. Guns include the aforementioned 1911, my 9mm PCC SBR, and wife's 22lr competition guns (Ruger Mark IV 22/45 and Kidd 10/22). Each gun probably sees 300-400 rounds in a session 2x/week.

Good range time with my side-kick on the fringe of the Gifford Pinchot. Colt Cobra, Glock 19, SIG P226, Colt 6951

DSC02361c.JPG

This morning was day 2 of Supressor Cleanning. Sig SRD9, SRD22's and Tactical Solutions Axiam .22 all soaked overnight in Hoppes #9. They then went in a hot bath ultrasonic cleaner also of Hoppes for 15min. Still takes scrubbing the parts individually with a bronze brush but the process makes it way easier.

Dang .22 cans get so full of lead and fouling it like paste. Actually thinking of weighing them cleaned then keep checking them after use to figure the best time to clean. I bet the buggers gain a few ounces!:eek:

Maintaining firearms is a chore that I enjoy....
Not that my firearms get much if anything in the way of rust and such....
A wipe down with a oily rag...the tightening of screws , adjustments of flints , a patch down the bore....
Are all done fairly regularly.

Taking the lock off and giving them a once over is a good idea after a show or rendezvous , hunt etc...
For those who are interested below are two pictures of the insides of a antique flintlock and a antique percussion lock.
Andy
P1110224[1].JPG

P1110225[1].JPG

P1110224[1].JPG P1110225[1].JPG

Maintaining firearms is a chore that I enjoy....
Not that my firearms get much if anything in the way of rust and such....
A wipe down with a oily rag...the tightening of screws , adjustments of flints , a patch down the bore....
Are all done fairly regularly.

Taking the lock off and giving them a once over is a good idea after a show or rendezvous , hunt etc...
For those who are interested below are two pictures of the insides of a antique flintlock and a antique percussion lock.
Andy
View attachment 686097

View attachment 686098

View attachment 686097 View attachment 686098

It blows my mind seeing those parts made close to 200 years ago without modern machinery. Imagine the time consumed. Imaging the thumbs and fingers smashed and mutilated, because there was no osha, or yellow lines painted around forging fires. No BANDAIDS or sterile gauze! People got smart quick is my guess!

It blows my mind seeing those parts made close to 200 years ago without modern machinery. Imagine the time consumed. Imaging the thumbs and fingers smashed and mutilated, because there was no osha, or yellow lines painted around forging fires. No BANDAIDS or sterile gauze! People got smart quick is my guess!
Very true....
The flintlock rifle is from the late 1830's- early 1840's...
The percussion pistol is from the 1840's-1860's...both still work and get shot at times....:D
Andy

Cleaning the "Rat Slayer" Remington 700 26" varmint barrel, left hand. It has a H-S Precision stock. Using a Dewey coated rod and Proshot patches. My basic load has been 40 grain Hornady V-Max with 20.0 grains of N 120. Lake City brass. A lot of crud in the tube but I only fired 75 rounds. Also wiped and oiled my Harris "S" bipod. Then the kid's Savage .22. Still have the 8X57 , Bushmaster, CZ 452, CZ 455 before moving on to revolvers.

Firearms are cleaned - check
Metal treated - check
Stocks cleaned - check
Safe reorganized - check
Ammo loaded into mags - check

My local ranges and gun stores are closed to to being "non-essential." Those FFL's in other counties that are open are currently reporting 10 day waits are more like 13 - 18+. So, this stay in place needs to be lifted because:

image.png

Here is one of the guns that I cleaned recently. I should have polished the oil off before the picture, but Oh Well. WWII P-38, chromed and buried in Germany and then recovered. It came out of it pretty well except for some light pitting in the barrel. The lands and grooves are still crisp. My Dad had some sort of coating put in the barrel. I didn't know this and he was gone when I got the gun. I tried to make sure that there was no rust left in the barrel and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned - no rust on patches. I soaked the inside of the barrel with Kroil for a week - still no rust on patches. That is when I decided that the barrel had been coated with something. Any one have any guesses as to what the coating might be?

P4190109.JPG
As part of my Magazine organization, the last was my AK/SKS-M magazines. I had one 40 rounder that was rusty at the bottom and I was going to give up on using it. It turns out that the inside was rust free. I went to work on the outside with Brass wool ( no, I never will use steel wool on a gun, EVER). It smoothed the finish but didn't get into the pits.

I looked on the internet for ideas and ran across a post someone made about using a pencil and eraser. You basically write on the rust and the use the eraser to remove the graphite and rust IT WORKED!!! I used a number 4 pencil and ground the point into every pit. I have to sharpen it a lot. Then I erased the pencil marks, which left me with a shiny surface. I had to clean the eraser often also. I used some alcohol to finish cleaning it. It left me with a brownish/red finish were the rust was - rust stain? I could not get any more rust off on a white patch. It still is a little rough and still has pits, but it is much better. You couln't read the "Made in China" marking on the bottom. I should have taken before pictures, but who knew?

P4190111.JPG P4190095.JPG

Last Edited:
I might go through and clean ALL of them maybe today or tomorrow. Debating throwing a brisket on and cleaning guns gives me something to do.
Not to get anyone excited...ALL is only.....2 pistols, and 2 rifles. Kids are expensive! A third pistol will join the family soon.

Here is one of the guns that I cleaned recently. I should have polished the oil off before the picture, but Oh Well. WWII P-38, chromed and buried in Germany and then recovered. It came out of it pretty well except for some light pitting in the barrel. The lands and grooves are still crisp. My Dad had some sort of coating put in the barrel. I didn't know this and he was gone when I got the gun. I tried to make sure that there was no rust left in the barrel and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned - no rust on patches. I soaked the inside of the barrel with Kroil for a week - still no rust on patches. That is when I decided that the barrel had been coated with something. Any one have any guesses as to what the coating might be?

View attachment 686272
As part of my Magazine organization, the last was my AK/SKS-M magazines. I had one 40 rounder that was rusty at the bottom and I was going to give up on using it. It turns out that the inside was rust free. I went to work on the outside with Brass wool ( no, I never will use steel wool on a gun, EVER). It smoothed the finish but didn't get into the pits.

I looked on the internet for ideas and ran across a post someone made about using a pencil and eraser. You basically write on the rust and the use the eraser to remove the graphite and rust IT WORKED!!! I used a number 4 pencil and ground the point into every pit. I have to sharpen it a lot. Then I erased the pencil marks, which left me with a shiny surface. I had to clean the eraser often also. I used some alcohol to finish cleaning it. It left me with a brownish/red finish were the rust was - rust stain? I could not get any more rust off on a white patch. It still is a little rough and still has pits, but it is much better. You couln't read the "Made in China" marking on the bottom. I should have taken before pictures, but who knew?

View attachment 686286 View attachment 686287

Excellent tip for future reference. I have two items that I use at times. Some sort of "eraser" and "crazy cloth" bought at a gun show in Missoula about 18 years ago for $5. Still works !

I might go through and clean ALL of them maybe today or tomorrow. Debating throwing a brisket on and cleaning guns gives me something to do.
Not to get anyone excited...ALL is only.....2 pistols, and 2 rifles. Kids are expensive! A third pistol will join the family soon.

A good source for used and police trade ins is Outdoors Superstore. They have Smith and Wesson semi autos now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top