JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll get the 357 done tomorrow then on to the 380. Next week 30 Carbine and 45 Colt brass arrive so after the La Pine gun show I'll have that to do. 41 Mag, 10mm and 44 Mag on deck moving forward.
I did make a box (50 rounds) of 480 Ruger to see if it'll sell and 100 rounds for me to shoot because a gun without ammo is just a rock.

I'm attempting to load some .44 Magnum for use in a single shot rifle. I bought 100 new Starline cases on Gunbroker. I decided I'd rather pay extra for those than pay $40 for 100 scuzzy, who knows how many times fired, mixed headstamp cases at the cartridge show. I ordered 100 bullets and a new Lee four die set (on sale) from Midway, coming tomorrow. Powder I already have. Primers, well, you can imagine my delight when I discovered 65 CCI 300's that I didn't realize that I still had.

Large pistol primers seem to be about the scarcest of the scarce right now. They aren't used much for military ammo, so they likely have a low priority in production. .45 ACP is probably the civilian demand driver for these, but not as widely used as 9mm. And just about everything else that uses a large PP is much lower demand than .45 ACP. So people who need LPP are sucking.

I'm thinking about subbing some large rifle primers in .44 Mag., to see how those work. I've got lots of those. LRP supposedly is just a taste taller than LPP, but I've got to see it for myself in the new brass cases.

The primer situation is just as dire now as it has been for the past three years, in my opinion. Cabela's never has any. Sportsman's Warehouse never has any. I've seen a few LRP in a couple of hole-in-the-wall gun shops in outlying areas. Today, I couldn't find any LPP anywhere online. At Midway, where they are out of stock of everything, indicated prices start at $77 and go up from there, close or over $100 is more the norm. We'll never see $30 a brick again. If they ever start to get back on store shelves, the regular price will be $100 or north of that. Maybe $150. Price discovery has been tested, now everyone in the chain knows what retail buyers are willing to pay. Not to mention inflationary drivers.

Last Edited:
I'm attempting to load some .44 Magnum for use in a single shot rifle. I bought 100 new Starline cases on Gunbroker. I decided I'd rather pay extra for those than pay $40 for 100 scuzzy, who knows how many times fired, mixed headstamp cases at the cartridge show. I ordered 100 bullets and a new Lee four die set (on sale) from Midway, coming tomorrow. Powder I already have. Primers, well, you can imagine my delight when I discovered 65 CCI 300's that I didn't realize that I still had.

Large pistol primers seem to be about the scarcest of the scarce right now. They aren't used much for military ammo, so they likely have a low priority in production. .45 ACP is probably the civilian demand driver for these, but not as widely used as 9mm. And just about everything else that uses a large PP is much lower demand than .45 ACP. So people who need LPP are sucking.

I'm thinking about subbing some large rifle primers in .44 Mag., to see how those work. I've got lots of those. LRP supposedly is just a taste taller than LPP, but I've got to see it for myself in the new brass cases.

The primer situation is just as dire now as it has been for the past three years, in my opinion. Cabela's never has any. Sportsman's Warehouse never has any. I've seen a few LRP in a couple of hole-in-the-wall gun shops in outlying areas. Today, I couldn't find any LPP anywhere online. At Midway, where they are out of stock of everything, indicated prices start at $77 and go up from there, close or over $100 is more the norm. We'll never see $30 a brick again. If they ever start to get back on store shelves, the regular price will be $100 or north of that. Maybe $150. Price discovery has been tested, now everyone in the chain knows what retail buyers are willing to pay. Not to mention inflationary drivers.
I've found lots of LPP for sale online, ordered few bricks, even ordered some LPMP as well. I can send you some links if you need them.

Quoting myself. I just tried the above. The CCI 200's sit proud in my new Starline cases, so this idea is out.

Hp 38 5.1 grains. Can't even remember what the 115gr bullets are. Kind of Purdy though

20230324_204623.jpg

Like you do 😆 . I wish my 8 hour MSHA refresher was on zoom. It's like watching paint dry
Have a 7-8 hour zoom this morning….
What can I get done? Planning on getting powder and bullets seated. And couple pad lock bracket things installed on work van doors…..Some folks have the camera pointed at the wall…. Don't see them once.

Same schedule next week mon/Tues 4 hours and a Saturday 7-8 hours.

I'm seeing it a little differently here, more and more primers available at gun shows. I've been to several gun shows in the last couple months. One guy had a bunch at $100/k a while back, then I saw him at the next show and they were $90/k. The last show there were two or three that had primers, from $85 to $100/k.

As to what consumers are willing to pay, it's not like producers can force us to pay it. We (in the collective sense) are willing to pay the high prices now, but will we when/if supply and demand eventually normalize? The only way "they" would have the ability to keep the prices artificially high would be illegal corporate collusion/price fixing.

I don't have a crystal ball, but my guess would be that when/if prices normalize, they'll be somewhere in the vicinity of $50/k.

I'm seeing it a little differently here, more and more primers available at gun shows. I've been to several gun shows in the last couple months. One guy had a bunch at $100/k a while back, then I saw him at the next show and they were $90/k. The last show there were two or three that had primers, from $85 to $100/k.

As to what consumers are willing to pay, it's not like producers can force us to pay it. We (in the collective sense) are willing to pay the high prices now, but will we when/if supply and demand eventually normalize? The only way "they" would have the ability to keep the prices artificially high would be illegal corporate collusion/price fixing.

I don't have a crystal ball, but my guess would be that when/if prices normalize, they'll be somewhere in the vicinity of $50/k.
I hope you're right. On the other hand I was at the Rickreall show 2 weeks ago and saw primers @ $149 and 169. Yikes. That being said the key word is saw them still on the table at the end of the second day. He was quoting gun broker prices.
Think he is going to have them for a while.

20230312_124003.jpg

I really hope you're right. The three gun shows that I've attended lately around here didn't reflect the same reality that you describe.

If you go to the CCI website, the retail prices they show for new primers are $100. With this price basis, it doesn't stand to reason that scalpers will be able to lower their at-show prices much. Unless they managed to get the primers wholesale, somehow, but they still need a margin to make a profit.

Re. price fixing collusion. There are so few manufacturers of primers that I don' think they need to communicate and agree to know where price resistance is. What they know is that primers sell out quickly as fast as they are offered at current prices. If demand satisfaction does catch up, there is the intervening inflation that has occurred since primers were $30 a brick. I don't know if a $50 price will adequately offset that dynamic. But here's to hoping.

Back to the CCI website, strangely enough, primers on plastic strips are priced at $60 something a brick. These must be (unpopular) old stock that reflect earlier and therefore lower manufacturing and distribution costs.

I really hope you're right. The three gun shows that I've attended lately around here didn't reflect the same reality that you describe.

If you go to the CCI website, the retail prices they show for new primers are $100. With this price basis, it doesn't stand to reason that scalpers will be able to lower their at-show prices much. Unless they managed to get the primers wholesale, somehow, but they still need a margin to make a profit.

Re. price fixing collusion. There are so few manufacturers of primers that I don' think they need to communicate and agree to know where price resistance is. What they know is that primers sell out quickly as fast as they are offered at current prices. If demand satisfaction does catch up, there is the intervening inflation that has occurred since primers were $30 a brick. I don't know if a $50 price will adequately offset that dynamic. But here's to hoping.

Back to the CCI website, strangely enough, primers on plastic strips are priced at $60 something a brick. These must be (unpopular) old stock that reflect earlier and therefore lower manufacturing and distribution costs.
Inflation and demand.
A hard combination to beat.
I think the 30 dollar brick days are behind us making that phenomenon history.
I did see CCI OEM primers at Rickreall and Albany as well as being able to buy them online. And I am not a commercial reloader.
Somebody isnt playing by the rules or the rules changed.
As slow as I am I would starve to death.
Bottom line. I'm just glad to see them. I'm going to keep my hobby going at whatever price.
Just imagine what would happen to the price if hazmat went up. Or if like UPS attempted to do with not shipping ammo etc?

I see the guys asking $150 to $250/k at the gun shows too. I figure they're just fishing for suckers, and I walk right on by. Actually I walked on by the guy with the $85 primers too, because I have enough for myself for the foreseeable future. I don't have cases of them laying around; I just don't shoot or load high volume. A few bricks will last me a very long time, hopefully until prices come back down (if they ever do- I'm not overly confident in my predictions.)

I'm not any kind of expert on the subject. This supply/demand imbalance has gone on longer than any I've ever seen, to the point where everyone in the supply chain has adjusted to the "new normal". I'm sure there's record profits in the industry. Free market forces have been slow to react, for various reasons, but they will in time (I hope!)

I grew up on a dairy farm, didn't leave until I was 25. I read the industry news and the experts' market predictions, watched the market rise and fall, saw producers riding high, saw many go broke.

"Record demand for dairy products! High prices are the new normal for the foreseeable future!" the headlines would announce. The farmers would all add cows to their herds, and flood the market with milk. Prices would inevitably drop within a couple years. Those who hadn't been careful with their money would go broke, and/or there would be a government buyout, sending thousands of dairy cows to the slaughterhouses. Production would drop, driving prices up again.

You have your cost of production: raw materials, labor, overhead, etc.. Then there's distribution and retail- all the costs of getting a product to market and onto store shelves. When there's exceptional profit being made in this supply chain, sooner or later production will increase to meet demand, until at some point profit margins are low enough to discourage further increases in production. Ultimately the market sets the price, not the producers. The cost of production has gone up due to inflation, but I still think that there's plenty of room for retail prices to fall when/if supply and demand normalize.

The biggest problem with primers is that it's not as easy to increase production. Building new production lines is very expensive, and nobody wants to spend millions starting up a new plant, only to have to shutter it when the eventual drop in demand happens. I think they're finally starting to get the idea that this bump in demand is more than a short term bubble, but it still takes years to build new plants and get new product to market.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews