JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Walking is the best exercise you can get, bar none. You can get in a mile in 15 minutes if you step briskly. Good for heart, lungs, muscles, joints, the entire body.

Years ago I started parking my car at the store or wherever in a space further out from the entrance. That extra 50 or 100 steps goes a long ways to keeping fit.

That's where they should put the handicap parking spots for obese people

I remember doing the providence bridge pedal years ago on my mountain bike. It was a lot if fun.
Really cool biking across the 405 and I5 bridges.

Except my friend who signed me up told me it was about 8 miles.
26 miles later I hated him.

Ok,

New thread on exerciseing.

I am generally more motivated when having to be held accountable for my actions (or inaction in this case) and did very well exercising when I had a buddy who lived close and our schedules and stamina were similar (a very rare thing to find as I get older).

A lot of us have/had desk or driving jobs that require long hours and include zero physical work, but we would like to be in better shape then we are. Or maybe you've had an illness or injury to recover from and need some encouragement...

Being one that fits in both of the above categories, I thought it might be nice to start a thread similar to the (What did you do to prep today?) thread.

Share what you have done to improve your health, be it exercise, new diet or whatever.
I've gone back to doing my physical therapy exercises. I've got constant soreness in my shoulders, so I broke the book back out and since then they feel a lot better. I combine this with various body stretches which is something I did some years ago, but fell off that wagon a few months into it. I do admit feeling a lot better, overall, since I started doing them again. I incorporate some crunches and push-ups with those, for a little strength building (or rather, maintaining).

Dean

That's where they should put the handicap parking spots for obese people
They should Flintstonize the electric shopping carts too. Well, you know what I'm talkin bout.
I generally walk, preferring hills and stairs over flat by far.. between 1.5-3 miles a day. 3x8 sets of medium weights, 200 mountain climbers, plank, flutter kicks, etc.
I could eat better (less) and lose like 15-20lbs.

I will say that if you ever want to discover exactly how physically and mentally fit you are, try doing a GORUCK. I've done 2 so far, Challenge and Lite. Lite being in name only...
Ive done Hood to Coast (running sucks), and a few Warrior dashes (lame old lady stuff) .
October 2014 car wreck destroyed my left shoulder , and Ive been trying to make a come back since. Ive been putting off the surgery that I need to repair the AC joint, but I am getting back to my 385 bench, 405 DL, 425 Squat days...

What is there to see? It's your body, if you want to continue exercising you will; if you don't you won't.

Motivation is a fickle thing.

How many can just say. ''I'm gona get into shape'' And do it?
Or ''I'm gona stop smoking''.
Or ''I'm gona stop drinking''.
Or ''I'm gona leave that woman''.
Or ''I'm gona save money''.

The list goes on and on. But you know that! ;)

I totally understand. I used to think that my own motivation was out of control, and that my emotions were something that happened as the result of what other people did to me, etc. I used to be the kind of guy who would think that I was a spectator to my own life.

But then I decided to stop playing the victim card and took responsibility for my own decisions.

I haven't missed a gym day since I got back from my summer job in October ;-)

For me what worked was committing to 3months and analytics. I started out wanting to lose weight. I tracked everything with myfitness pal. Just being able to see that I was losing weight helped me stick with it.

8 months later I am 35lbs lighter and have spent the last month and a half transitioning into strength training. I've noticed gains in my lifts in the last month, but am realizing I need to educate my self more on proper form. When you start getting to the point of lifting your body weight+ there is too much potential to mess your self up if you don't get it right. Ordered a copy of starting strength.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top