JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bench - on the bench 135. I got 3 sets of 5. But, I wasn't steady - so I'll keep this weight for next week. One thing free weights brings as an advantage over the machines, is you have to maintain balance and evenness. You can't really be wobbly on a machine.

Totally agree that Dumbbells have many advantages over machines (one of which is that you can do anything a machine can do of you have a bench that inclines and declines), all those muscle that go into balancing the weight as you pull/push it makes for faster gains and better overall conditioning.

The ONLY thing I STRONGLY disagree with (not directed at anyone in particular) is anyone using a single bar with weights for bench press type exercises UNLESS you have a competent spotter or two depending on the weight your pushing.

I've seen too many folks almost crush thier throat trying to bench press way more then they should without a spotter.

The ONLY thing I STRONGLY disagree with (not directed at anyone in particular) is anyone using a single bar with weights for bench press type exercises UNLESS you have a competent spotter or two depending on the weight your pushing.

Honestly, the only difference between me being home and being at a gym, is that I get incompetent spotters at the gym. That being said, I always use a barbell for bench presses. Dumbbells are good and all, but it limits the weight you can use.

Just gotta be smart about how you go about it. Don't do more than you can actually do. No shame in swallowing your pride.

Did my "Friday" workout yesterday, got my squat up to 250 lb (3 sets of 5 reps), press up to 127.5 lb (1 set of 5 reps and 1 set of 4) and my deadlift up to 275 lb (2 sets of 5 reps). Not impressive numbers, but I'm getting there.

My (arbitrary) goal is to get my deadlift up to 315 and my press up to 135 before May. Then it's time to 'cut' and get my body fat down to 10% while I'm fishing in Alaska over the summer.

Yesterday I was getting a physical from some random doctor; she referred to me (positively) as "beefed up". Which is nice, seeing that I've never lifted weights in my life before last October.

Walked again yesterday and today. That's 4 days straight, increasing from about a mile the first day to 1.73 miles today, walking at a brisk (for me) pace, just enough to get the heart pumping. Adding some light dumbbell work so as not to jump into things too quickly.

Result is that I'm feeling the positive and negative effects. The negative are simply muscle pains from muscles that haven't been exerted like this in a while, but that pain serves as a reminder of a good choice, so I'll take it.

I've been using the Walk Tracker app on the phone to keep track roughly of distance, time and pace. It's a helpful tool for tracking results over time. Here is a screen shot from today's walk, including the route map.

image.png image.png

Definelty tracking your work outs and writing out a workout plan is a great way to stay motivated and show progress.
Celebrate little victories.

Making a workout plan for each day is good. Stick to your plan and give it 3-4 weeks and then change it up for around 2-3 weeks to prevent a plateau.

The proper diet and supplementation is key too. You need to eat to get your body to work right.
One if the biggest mistakes I see people make is not eating enough.
Look at your body like a car. If your not putting gas in your car it dies, or putting 1 gal in your not going to make it far.
Don't eat large meals.
Eat 6-8 small meals a day.

And stick to the basics.

If your just getting into it then working with a trainer isn't a bad idea. Just to get a basic routine, and to learn proper technique and form.

Working out the wrong way can be as bad as not working out at all.

That's one bad thing about crossfit. Your doing olympic exercises to the point of exhausting those muscles.
Whats the first thing that goes? Form.
Then you get injured.

If anyone needs a trainer in vancouver. I know a few great trainers.
And a good knowledgable trainer is very hard to come by. 90% of them have no experience or education. They are hired because they can sell training.

I walked again yesterday, increasing distance gradually, now up to two miles at a brisk pace - that's double the distance I started with last week. Planning to head out again today once the rain stops.

Wife had a 3 day weekend and had spring cleaning fever - I'm glad she went to work today so I can get some rest lol.

Household chores are still about the extent of my stamina but I'm going to try and make the clean and shoot up on Larch on the 27th so I need to up my game some or I'll just be sitting there manning the BBQ.

I usually train the same as I have for years, I am used to packs so walk allot.
At my age weight training is not for heavy weight but repetition my background is in martial arts and thats how I train for stamina more then weight. Instead on lifting allot for a few minutes I will lift less for allot longer. Walking I have a treadmill for rainy days, but put it on high speed walk not run to build stamina. I figure SHTF I will need to have stamina more then weight training.
I know people run, but as you get older that pounding pounding will take a toll. I wish however I was 20 years younger at times, but I am in pretty good shape for my age and can run cirlces around people I know my age :) so must be doing something right.

Honestly, the only difference between me being home and being at a gym, is that I get incompetent spotters at the gym. That being said, I always use a barbell for bench presses. Dumbbells are good and all, but it limits the weight you can use.

Just gotta be smart about how you go about it. Don't do more than you can actually do. No shame in swallowing your pride.
Preach it, Bobo!

th?&id=OIP.M1831f9931c2ff655e10bbad8005ba983o2&w=315&h=175&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

lol

Rain stopped, so I got off my backside and did a walk again today, just over 2 miles, with some hill added in for an extra bonus. Remembering now some of the extra pains that come from starting up walking again. Hamstring pain last week, now gone. Shin splint on one side yesterday, not present today - partially due to added stretching and reminding myself from some years back that I get them very badly if my stride is too long - shorten the stride a bit and the shin splints go away. Back in 2006 I did the Portland to Coast with my company team and during the training for that, I was battling shin splints a lot. Another walker pointed out my stride length, told me to shorten it up a bit and it worked :)

Today's walk was free of any muscle pains :s0155:

Should have walked in the rain. You get a free drink if you look up. ;)

Yesterday I did 5 sets of 6 reps incline bench press at 170, 3 sets of 80 push ups, 3 sets of 12 dips, and hit the dumbbells to work triceps and shoulders (forgot what its called). Today is leg day, so I'm gonna lift weights with my legs, squats, etc. I'll start running again. Hopefully I'll get it back to 6 miles. For now, I can't even do a mile. :(

Thought I was tough bubblegum in basic training and had a drill Sargent punish me once like this:

10 dips, 10 push-ups and the 10 "raising your arms in the air"

The 9 of each.

Then 8 etc.

He did them with me and the whole company was watching so I was under a ton of pressure - I was shaking so badly at 3 reps that I couldn't finish.

I thought that was the worst - then I woke up in the middle of that night with cramps in my arms so bad that I almost started crying. I couldn't lift my arms up hardly at all for 2 days - that was probably the most embarrassing.

First time with my power lifting coach and he said squats and lunges today, and by the way "you will all curse me tomorrow morning when you sit on the porcelain". Wasn't really sure what he meant till the next morning lol.

That's was all in my young 20's so I am going super slow now to try not to kill myself and end my enthusiasm for getting back into better shape.

Speaking of. We had this sadistic wrestling coach in high school. He taught my gym class and my math class.
In math when I was a smartarse (most of the time) he would make me do push ups.
Did it once in PE and he made me do 200 push ups before class ended.

He was one of those people that would keep this crap eating grin on his face while he yelled at you. Kinda scary, but looking back makes me laugh. He was a great teacher for a jack wagon like me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top