JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't normally do dips. I was messing around with them today. Normally do chest presses, I don't think I could do higher reps of unassisted dips yet.

I started out at 12+min miles 8months and 35lbs ago.

8min mile
3reps of 8 100lb bench
3reps 8 80lbs seated row
4reps 3 155lb deadlift
4reps 15 140lb calf extension
4reps 5 185lb squat
3rep 3 dips
40 crunches

I thought one was supposed to do 12 dips in a set. o_O

I can't run fast though... Bike and walk fast, but not run. :(

I can help you run faster.
The trick is getting the proper incentive! :D

I've been doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 weight lifting program in various forms for the last 4 years. When I started to work out I was in my mid 30s, 6' 155 lbs with no strength and terrible cardio conditioning. I'd spent 15 years on a desk job and pretty much did no exercise. One day I was playing in the back yard with my boys and felt like total s***. I suddenly saw my future (or lack thereof) and decided that if I wanted to see my boys grow into men I'd have to do something about it.

The main thing keeping me consistently going 3x a week is getting into a habit, and setting small, achievable goals (5/3/1 helps with the goals).

When I started I could barely bench press the 45 lb bar, and deadlift 95 lbs, and squat 75 lbs. Now I bench about 200 (not too impressive I know), and deadlift a 1 rep max of 445 lbs, and squat 345 (I now weigh 185 lbs).

Set a long term goal, and a short term goal that gets you one step closer the the long term goal.

I'd never run from a dog. It's about the worst thing you can do.

I'm also not very afraid of them as long as its not multiple dogs. They don't bite so well if you can get your fist in their mouths, and at that point fights pretty much over for Fido. Luckily I really like dogs and only had to use this once. Dog doesn't know whats going on when it can't bite down all the way and your kicking it in the jewels.

I've been doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 weight lifting program in various forms for the last 4 years. When I started to work out I was in my mid 30s, 6' 155 lbs with no strength and terrible cardio conditioning. I'd spent 15 years on a desk job and pretty much did no exercise. One day I was playing in the back yard with my boys and felt like total s***. I suddenly saw my future (or lack thereof) and decided that if I wanted to see my boys grow into men I'd have to do something about it.

The main thing keeping me consistently going 3x a week is getting into a habit, and setting small, achievable goals (5/3/1 helps with the goals).

When I started I could barely bench press the 45 lb bar, and deadlift 95 lbs, and squat 75 lbs. Now I bench about 200 (not too impressive I know), and deadlift a 1 rep max of 445 lbs, and squat 345 (I now weigh 185 lbs).

Set a long term goal, and a short term goal that gets you one step closer the the long term goal.

Great job.

I went from 157 skinny fat pounds. To 195 muscular lbs.
So I feel Ya.

Last March I decided to lose 20lbs, and started riding my bicycle. Ended up losing 30lbs. One 5.5mi lap every day takes 20-25 min depending on motivation and weather. I've been doing 2-a-days this winter on nicer days to make up for the missed rides on bad ones. Mileage total so far is somewhere north of 1000. Sure beats the bike to nowhere while watching TV.

I went from 6'2" 200, to 6'2" 240 over the last 15 years. I get down to 225 or so over the summer but I would like to get on a program that maintains that weight. I've been using the wife's elliptical for 35 minutes a day, five days a week, drink lots of water, and lift every other day. 235 this morning.

Twice around local walking trail (4 miles total). 4-6 times a week now. Was a runner/ lifter in my youth but 35 years in construction and recovering from goofed minor surgery left me wondering if I would ever hunt or fish again. One foot in front of the other is my new get well hobby. A couple good deals here on the forum and now I'm looking forward to this summer/fall hunting season.

i the middle of a piece of work, realised one small part was NOT in the kit I got for the job.... gorgeous weather today (am in Maple Valley area a few days) so I decided rather than cuss and grumble ad having to drive around to find tha tbit for the job, I'd find a phone booth, change inty my tropical fish suit, and go run the quest on my bicycle. Found what I needed right off, so stretched the ride by taking a LONGish loop doubling back round to where i'm staying. Ended up riding 20 miles, was only gone an hour twenty. The winter bike I'm riding is quite heavy... and there are four signficant hils on the route I took. Felt SO good to get out and RIDE.. the weather's been beyond nasty most of the time since late October, so I've not gotten many miles in. Oh well, got some today. Twenty is not a lot, but it's welcome.

I had a pitbull attack me and 2 friends in high school. Tell you what, I never knew I could run that fast through the woods, jumping creeks, etc.
If someone would have seem me that day they would have put ke in the Olympics.

Running from a dog is okay, as long as you run faster than your friends

Second day, second walk. A little further this time. Definitely not in great shape at this point, but even through the difficulty of starting exercise again, it does feel good. Now to see if it will continue :rolleyes:

Second day, second walk. A little further this time. Definitely not in great shape at this point, but even through the difficulty of starting exercise again, it does feel good. Now to see if it will continue :rolleyes:

It gets easier when the body starts to wake up at about 4-6 weeks.
Then you start to crave it.

Perfect time of year to start. You'll be Rollin this summer!

I just finished my four mile walk myself. Now it's off to the gym to flex my old man muscles. :D

It gets easier when the body starts to wake up at about 4-6 weeks.
Then you start to crave it.

Perfect time of year to start. You'll be Rollin this summer!

I just finished my four mile walk myself. Now it's off to the gym to flex my old man muscles. :D

I work in SE PDX, near OMSI. About 2 years ago, I would walk the full circuit around the Esplanade from OMSI to the Steel Bridge, cross over and back again, about 3.5 miles total, and I would do that 4 times a week. Something put the skids to that process (can't remember what) and have had a heck of a time getting moving again. Lots of folks in my office are exercising now and it's been a good kick in the bulbous backside to get started again. Even though it's a bit painful in certain muscles, I'm already feeling better. Amazing how quickly you start to feel the benefits.

Weds.

Gym - Dead lifts 20lbs under my max: 3 sets of 5
Bench - not my bench day but I kept thinking about them during the dead lifts, so I lifted light: 3 sets of 7 Tuesday I was benching 185, today was 115. Difference this was on the bench, not a machine; Tues was the machine.
Pull downs 3 sets of 7 (will add weight next time)

Then, here at lunch I got in a 30 min walk.

My co-worker who feels a long walk is from his car in the lot to our office. Has been cajoled to going to the gym with his brother. He is going on about making 5 minutes on the treadmill.
I am being encouraging. 5 yrs ago he could walk around our building with me, now he cannot.

Walking is the best exercise you can get, bar none. You can get in a mile in 15 minutes if you step briskly. Good for heart, lungs, muscles, joints, the entire body.

Years ago I started parking my car at the store or wherever in a space further out from the entrance. That extra 50 or 100 steps goes a long ways to keeping fit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top