JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Took a long time friend that is very new to shooting to a proper range today for his first time, and not out in the boonies.

Loading and unloading guns, boxes and ammo back and forth from my house to the car, to his car, to the firing line and then back had me feeling pretty sore by 1pm.

Watching over him (while he is a quick study) did wear me out probably more then the physical efforts lol.

Once again, I find I shoot less ammo, gain more knowledge and a lot of times have more fun when I bring someone with me that I have something of value to teach them.

Rest of the day is cleaning guns and I am going to walk the dogs out in the sunshine - that will most likely wipe me out for the evening. But it's been a great day.

We did this once every 3 months in college to determine max strength ONLY to set the weight for specific reps, i.e. 10 reps at 60%, 8 reps at 70% etc. never just to make gains but maybe here and there to show off;).

It is actually very important information if you know how to use it.

This is what I do.
Take the triceps extension machine as an example. I put on 130lbs to start with.

Then do three sets of eight.
When I can fully control it both up and down slowly.
And do clean sets for a month or so I will add weight.

If it gets sloppy. Or I cant move slowly under tension both directions.
I bump the weight down.
Always the same speed. Feeling the burn. So my reference never changes. And I get honest feed back. But never have to max out as a reference.

Works for me. :D

This is what I do.
Take the triceps extension machine as an example. I put on 130lbs to start with.

Then do three sets of eight.
When I can fully control it both up and down slowly.
And do clean sets for a month of so I will add weight.

If it gets sloppy. Or I cant move slowly under tension both directions.
I bump the weight down.
Always the same speed. Feeling the burn. So my reference never changes. And I get honest feed back. But never have to max out as a reference.

Works for me. :D

It sounds like you have a very good grasp of what you should and shouldn't be doing; unlike some of those folks that do half reps and crank them out because the weight is too heavy.

I had the misfortune to be obsessed with my body in high school and college (if only I had kept that upo_O), but the good fortune to have an ex pro power lifter with a great background in health and body building as a coach for 3 years.

My good friend from that time has gotten into "cross fit" and has ended up with several injuries (some just shy of major/life altering) because he can't get over the fact we aren't 20 anymore.

I'll strick with the small weights from here on out lol.

on the days i dont make it to the gym , i still try to knock out 100 chin ups and 200-250 push ups.
usually while making dinner.
multitasking is a new thing for me.
gym time is usually high volume progressive loading weight lifting.
running sucks.
cardio... meh ... lift hard and fast and get better results

I guess I could try to put on that wet suit I bought 30 lbs ago. That would be an exercise:eek: Then I could sweat for a while and then try to take it off again. Maybe even put on a weight belt and walk around the house a bit.:rolleyes:

Friday
Went to gym, did Dead Lifts. My current max (1 rep that's all I can do) is equal to my body weight.
Did Lat Pull downs, on a machine.

I mentioned somewhere I am following Mark Rippetoe this year
This video has links to others of his
He has books and a blog.
http://startingstrength.com/

I also use a step counter. Unless I specifically set out to walk, I am at 5k steps / day.
About half of recommended levels.
I get about 4k steps in a half hour-ish walk. Which if the weather is OK I can do on my lunch.
(office clothes limit what I can do)

It's about 9:30 and I have been at my desk for about an hour and a half.
I anticipate about 10 hours of sitting today.

Sunday I anticipate 4 hours of standing on gravel, while shooting. Then lots of couch sitting.

I'm doing Starting Strength too, been at it proper for about 4 months now. It's going great, my numbers aren't all that impressive yet but I'm well above body weight for squat and deadlift and am approaching body weight on the bench press, all at 3 sets of 5 reps.

I've gained around 10 pounds over that time but my waist size and body fat percentage are holding steady, which means the weight is mostly muscle. I figure I have another couple months of newby gains before I'll have to switch to a more complex program.

Took advantage of the nice weather today and got out for my first walk in a while. Also did some deep knee bends, just trying to remind my leg muscles what they're for ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top