JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have delayed the workout cycle again. Lungs are still messed up and haven't improved in the last week. Doc is putting me on a 2nd round of antibiotics, a different type, to see if we can knock this out once and for all. If not, he wants me in for a chest x-ray when the antibiotics are done - if it hasn't improved. Getting a little concerned I haven't kicked this yet, and really do want to get back to the workouts.

Sometimes things take a while, and as we get older it takes longer to recover as well. Have you checked your blood sugars? Even if you aren't in diabetic ranges excess blood sugar levels prolong infections since the nasty buggers are eating so well. If you have an appointment soon make sure you have the doctor check it, otherwise the test kits are available inexpensively and sometimes even free (the profit is in the test strips).

Regardless cut down on the carbs, especially the refined high glycemic index ones like sugar, corn syrup and white flour, which index at 100 - peanut M&M's and apples for example are only 25 in comparison. High GI are like mainlining the sugars directly into your blood, and even if you have normal insulin function it gets overwhelmed and you blood sugars rise making the infection grow like crazy until it gets back under control. Your best carbs are oats, yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and stone ground whole grain (actual whole, not refined with caramel coloring) because of the fiber, which lowers the GI and makes them more time release.

Sometimes things take a while, and as we get older it takes longer to recover as well. Have you checked your blood sugars? Even if you aren't in diabetic ranges excess blood sugar levels prolong infections since the nasty buggers are eating so well. If you have an appointment soon make sure you have the doctor check it, otherwise the test kits are available inexpensively and sometimes even free (the profit is in the test strips).

Regardless cut down on the carbs, especially the refined high glycemic index ones like sugar, corn syrup and white flour, which index at 100 - peanut M&M's and apples for example are only 25 in comparison. High GI are like mainlining the sugars directly into your blood, and even if you have normal insulin function it gets overwhelmed and you blood sugars rise making the infection grow like crazy until it gets back under control. Your best carbs are oats, yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and stone ground whole grain (actual whole, not refined with caramel coloring) because of the fiber, which lowers the GI and makes them more time release.

I do watch my blood sugars pretty carefully. Unlike some diabetics, I do regularly test myself throughout the day. My blood sugars have actually been quite good during this whole illness. This morning I was 121 when I got up, which is right in the target window my doc wants me at. As for the high glycemic index foods, yes, I'm guilty from time to time of indulging in such things, but I try not to make it a regular habit. And since it's been a while since I've been really sick, I guess I'm having to come to the realization that my ability to spring back from an illness may not be what it once was when I was younger. I don't think I'm quite ready to accept that fact just yet ;)

I do watch my blood sugars pretty carefully. Unlike some diabetics, I do regularly test myself throughout the day. My blood sugars have actually been quite good during this whole illness. This morning I was 121 when I got up, which is right in the target window my doc wants me at. As for the high glycemic index foods, yes, I'm guilty from time to time of indulging in such things, but I try not to make it a regular habit. And since it's been a while since I've been really sick, I guess I'm having to come to the realization that my ability to spring back from an illness may not be what it once was when I was younger. I don't think I'm quite ready to accept that fact just yet ;)

Keep fighting it E!

Mind over matter - that's why I'm still 20 in my mind:p.

Comes back to bite me every now and then though:D.

Keep resting and don't sweat the postponing of the workouts - get better first and then go build back up.

At least it's summer?:rolleyes:

I shouldn't think bad thoughts about this guy

A little motivation

a0ad298d6409981eab920cb3070d51b7.jpg

Knocked out 3 sets of 20 and 3 sets of 15 with the 25's. Not bad really and I feel better after missing my workouts for so long. Gonna work back up to the 40's soon.

With better weather, I'm back on the MTB. Rolling hills here, but mostly plateau. Good road shoulders and traffic is sparse. Normally ride at night, as there is almost zero traffic. Dual flashing LED headlights and taillights and retro-reflective vest. Stick out like a sore thumb at night, whereas I'm invisible in the daytime.

Back when I had three cancers simultaneously, I was doing 8-12 miles nightly and felt great. A lot has happened since then, and I desire to get my muscle strength back and do something good for cardio.

Lost another 1.25"'s and 3 lbs this week.

Gained some muscle in places so my total for 8 weeks is 9" and 9lbs.

I'm pretty happy with my progress, I don't want to drop size too fast and have a munch of loose skin or my tatts stretching funny.

I need to do more upper body lifting though as well as consistent cardio.

I went to school for Personal Training / Fitness and really like going to the gym.

Today:
- 100+ Squats from Bosu Ball Squats, Body Squats, Kettlebell Swings and Barbell Drop Set Sumo Squats.
- Then 125 alternating weighted calf raises.
- Weighted lunges.
- Banded sidesteps
- Banded Monster walks
- And of course a proper warm up, cool down and some corrective stretching!

I took two months off for work and an injury but I've been back for about 3 weeks and feel much better. 2 leg days a week, 2 upper body plus core work and corrections at home is my typical routine for now. :)

Okay, lungs were finally clear enough to get back to a workout yesterday - first one in a month. I did about a half-workout with both cardio and lifting - again, not to the level I was a month ago, but it was a good start back. Not too sore today or worn out, which is a good sign. Next workout is tomorrow and will continue to take it slowly as I'm still not 100% better, but on the mend.

I cleared some of the blackberry bushes and the root systems manually, spread out compost hay and soil, leveled the new garden a bit, rode my old free ride mountain bike on a little 5 mile cruise along an urban trail.

Walked 1.5 miles today. Drove the tractor 3 miles to town to help a friend load some black walnut wood. Had to man handle some of it. Moved about 15 yards of dirt with the tractor, the raked it and shoveled some of it around. Picked up construction debris and put in the dumpster. Hung 3 pieces of sheet rock.

I let my azz get soft this last winter, and did not get back into shape very fast this spring. That siatica came on the first of May and I had to do a lot of physical therapy. I am pretty much back from that and can now take stairs without putting both feet on the same step. I do several stretching exercises now several times a day.

I was flat out scared earlier this year. I thought my physical condition was just aging, and every pain was a concern. I started getting back in shape and will not let myself get that flabby again. I have some pains, but they are a good pain. Even at 60, I intend to keep working out and exercising.

Move it or lose it.

@CoastRange57 - I agree! "Move it or lose it".
I'll be 56 in a couple of months, and had let the desk job allow me to pack on some pounds.
I was still in decent shape, and exercised and worked on the property regularly. The wife and I also hike through the woods a couple of times per week. I just couldn't still eat whatever I wanted and stay fit like I could at 20, 30, and 40.

But in the last 56 days, I decided to really change my lifestyle. I've dropped 36 lbs, started a 3x/week weights, conditioning and strength training routine, still doing Cross Fit 2 nights/week and started jogging a couple of miles once a week.

I've also dramatically improved my diet.

My energy is way up, my knees feel waaaay better, and I've drilled new holes in my belts and bought some new pants.

Didn't get on the scale but I cut down an oak and started cutting it up for firewood, till the boss said it was quitting time worked up a good sweat driving in wedges. Darn thing was supported by adjacent trees. I finally had to tie onto it and give it a jerk loose from them with my truck, taking a break to go shooting today (after midnight now).
So I'll tackle it again Sunday so I can clean up the parking spot.
I was afraid it was going to shed its dead branches and hit someone's car parked under it.
Problem solved! :D
Gabby

Busted a gut today (Sunday) and got all the big stuff bucked and hauled away and stacked, cleanup of the smaller stuff Monday, then more honey-do's. :eek: LOL
Gabby
PS
Great day at the range, my TC Compass shot MOA at 100yds 4 out of 5 inside 7/16", called flier out to 1"!

In 2008 at 56, I was treated for the first of three cancers. Nightmare medical history. But, as the bluesman sings, "Gonna die some day, but I ain't dead yet" In 2014, when I was pretty much full of the stuff, I rode my MTB. I was doing 8-12 miles nightly - no record but pretty fair for a 62 year old. Been on steroids since a stem cell transplant in 2015, and that wastes muscle big time. So, back on the bike.

I ride the rolling hills and flats where I live - cow country. I have two LED headlights on flash, and two LED taillights doing the same. Reflective vest. At night, there are very few cars, and I have ridden the 12 miles without being passed by a single vehicle. Far safer than daytime riding. During the day, drivers can see everything but me. At night, I'm the only thing they can see.

One day at a time.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top