JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Haven't posted anything on this thread for a while. I haven't been consistent with my walking as I was earlier this year - just a problem I always have keeping with a regular exercise regimen. With fall here though, there will be plenty of work outside the house between rain showers, so I'll use that to get in some extra heart-pumping activity.

On a more positive note, I started on a weight loss program back in mid-August. To date, I'm down 12 pounds, and I'm already feeling the benefits of increased energy/stamina, just from that. I even got to drop a size in my jeans/belt this past week! First time I've dropped a pant size in a few years. I love buying new clothes when the size is going down! Hopefully I can keep on this plan long term. So far, I'm finding it easier to follow than past plans, that is hopefully a good thing. And, hopefully, this increased energy will encourage me to get up and moving more often.

Congrats man! Those first 10lbs are the hardest for me but then I get even more motivated and it just snowballs.;)

I'm glad you revived this thread, I occasionally forget about it:oops:.

I have a week to go before I see the doc about starting 'real' physical therapy and being able to handle weight on my knee as I can tolerate it. I did go from the 3 sets of 10 reps 4 times a day to 3 sets of 15 and am able to add 1lb of weight to my ankle (therapist said rice in a ziplock is good), but then in a week it will all change to the harder stuff.

Still trying to get my knee cap to "track right" so I've got a long way to go before I'm walking without help but I've got nothing better to do then work out right now so I can that J O B.

On the big BONUS side I have finally after years of trying different brands (mostly ending in my cramping and being in pain) I have found a protein powder that my system seems to be handling - 2 weeks in and have gone from one too two scoops so I'm getting about 90% of my protein first thing in the morning and that is keeping me full until dinner so all the carbs I've been eating as staples are quickly going away!!!

I can not overstate how much this is going to change my diet and life. My biggest and mostly only reason for trying to hunt large game was for digestible protein to add to my daily intake as most store meat doesn't cut it and bison at $10/lb is out of my price range when I will eat a pound of meat for dinner easy if it's available.

Turns into about $3 a day so for breakfast and then not hungry for lunch it's much more cost effective then almost everything else I've tried except $2 in pasta which is mostly carbs.

I went with the unflavored version because I'm not convinced stevia is the wonder that most people say it is...

I add some agave and that's it. The powder is like talcum powder in consistany and it certainly isn't a milk shake but taste is secondary for me with these supplement shakes. I may start adding a milk substitute for some fats when I am more mobile.

I think I may have gained a couple pounds as my shorts don't seem to be falling off me but it's hard to stand still on a scale with one foot and nothing to grab onto but that doesn't bother me cuz I know I'll drop it fast once I'm walking and lifting again.

Here is what I've been taking:

IMG_1048.PNG

IMG_1049.PNG

I'm no crossfit fan. But any exercise is good. ;)

Oh my FG:eek: ROFLMAO!!!

I almost busted a stitch in my knee I was laughing so damn hard:D.

Screw crossfit - I'll do yard work first lol.

I'm more of an Arnold is the god of fitness person so walking is about the only thing I'll do other then lifting.

Thanks for that laugh;).

Congrats man! Those first 10lbs are the hardest for me but then I get even more motivated and it just snowballs.;)

I'm glad you revived this thread, I occasionally forget about it:oops:.

I have a week to go before I see the doc about starting 'real' physical therapy and being able to handle weight on my knee as I can tolerate it. I did go from the 3 sets of 10 reps 4 times a day to 3 sets of 15 and am able to add 1lb of weight to my ankle (therapist said rice in a ziplock is good), but then in a week it will all change to the harder stuff.

Still trying to get my knee cap to "track right" so I've got a long way to go before I'm walking without help but I've got nothing better to do then work out right now so I can that J O B.

On the big BONUS side I have finally after years of trying different brands (mostly ending in my cramping and being in pain) I have found a protein powder that my system seems to be handling - 2 weeks in and have gone from one too two scoops so I'm getting about 90% of my protein first thing in the morning and that is keeping me full until dinner so all the carbs I've been eating as staples are quickly going away!!!

I can not overstate how much this is going to change my diet and life. My biggest and mostly only reason for trying to hunt large game was for digestible protein to add to my daily intake as most store meat doesn't cut it and bison at $10/lb is out of my price range when I will eat a pound of meat for dinner easy if it's available.

Turns into about $3 a day so for breakfast and then not hungry for lunch it's much more cost effective then almost everything else I've tried except $2 in pasta which is mostly carbs.

I went with the unflavored version because I'm not convinced stevia is the wonder that most people say it is...

I add some agave and that's it. The powder is like talcum powder in consistany and it certainly isn't a milk shake but taste is secondary for me with these supplement shakes. I may start adding a milk substitute for some fats when I am more mobile.

I think I may have gained a couple pounds as my shorts don't seem to be falling off me but it's hard to stand still on a scale with one foot and nothing to grab onto but that doesn't bother me cuz I know I'll drop it fast once I'm walking and lifting again.

Here is what I've been taking:

View attachment 315855

View attachment 315857

I'm glad to hear you've found something that's working for you. Knowing a variety of folks with gut issues, I see how difficult it is to come up with solutions that work for them.

I typically lift some free weights (20-30) min three times a week and get 30 or so min of cardio three times a week. I have gotten pretty good about keeping track of my calorie intake. The combination keeps a 50 year old in decent shape and is something I can do pretty consonantly. I'll take consistency over intensity. As long as I'm able to fit into my 36 Levi's and can hoof it up a trail without being winded I'm good.

BTW I think staying active is a huge part of being able to enjoy my next 30 of so years. Going idle is a killer.

Physical conditioning: You need to be trained - Maggie's Farm

I believe very strongly that if you want a change related to weight, up or down, that is 99% food. What you eat, how much you eat, when you eat.

Exercise is for fitness.
Stretching is for flexibility.

If you need something and do not know what to do, follow Jerry Pournelle (he's a literal rocket scientist = pretty smart)

The Five Tibetan Rites

It may be 99% Genetics?

Last Edited:
Genetics are for sure a part but not the controllable part. You could still easily eat your way to obesity, ask me how I know... What and how much you put in your mouth is the key with regards to weight.

Did my kinda usual though. Three mile hill hike, three sets of 12 on all body parts on machine weights, 300 belly gyrations, 300 moutainclimbers, 100 pushups.. probably forgetting half of it really.
Not too long ago (I've been hurt a couple times), I couldn't walk around a small store for a long time, let alone like a boss.
final analysis, you gotta do it yer own self.. no one else will

My usual workout is an hour on the treadclimber, jumping off each 15 minutes and hitting 3 sets of goblet squats, lunges, planks, regular pushups, elevator pushups, arm curls with shoulder press. This time of year I try to get out 3 days a week and get firewood and hike. Spend a couple hours of that and I'm toast.

Ok, I haven't mentioned this but showers are down right exhausting for me right now.

I think I've gained a little weight and hauling myself around without the crutches is hard work.

I have to come out and sit in front of a fan for a half hour minimum (after finishing the showers off with cold water to cool me down some).

I'm missing my 15 min to shave shower and be half dressed lol.

4 days until I should get the doc's OK to start doing more.

3 set of 15 reps of leg lifts is way harder then I had though but I'm doing them;)
Hey Joe, I thought I heard leg extensions on those common/leg extension machines can be/are harmful? But if a big-brain is telling you to do x, I'd do it.
just spitballin

Hey Joe, I thought I heard leg extensions on those common/leg extension machines can be/are harmful? But if a big-brain is telling you to do x, I'd do it.
just spitballin

I'm not even there for at least 3 days...:confused:

I'm talking laying flat with the good knee at a 90 degree angle up in the air and just doing straight leg raises. I also have to keep my quads as tight as possible and my leg being raised as close too 0 degrees.

10 is a little work but I'm surprised at how much muscle atrophy I have in the leg. I can do them all day long with the good leg.

My knee cap isn't tracking correctly either so I get a pinching pain when I go to release the tension in my quad so I have a lot of rehab to work thru. They will probably give me those colored bands and have me work up to machines I'm guessing.

Just got back from a walk down the hill to get the paper and to enjoy this beautiful fall day. Two toddlers in a double stroller up and down the hill on a unpaved road and now I've got a good sweat going. Man they are getting big or I'm getting old. Probably both. ;)

Just got back from a walk down the hill to get the paper and to enjoy this beautiful fall day. Two toddlers in a double stroller up and down the hill on a unpaved road and now I've got a good sweat going. Man they are getting big or I'm getting old. Probably both. ;)

Kids age you fast so enjoy it;)

Kids age you fast so enjoy it;)

Man, is that the truth. Those that say "kids really grow you up" really mean "they age you terribly." :s0112:

But they are such a blessing. I was talking with my boss one time about fatherhood and he said "it is the best thing you've ever done, isn't it?" He's got a point.:s0155:

Every morning I and the dogs (two 120 pounders) go out back into the woods and hike up and down the hill trails for at least 2 miles.

Yesterday, a dead tree fell onto our power lines and I spent about 8 hours clearing out more dead and leaning pine trees and brush along the power easement. Only got about halfway done, but I was absolutely exhausted.

This morning I forced myself to do the dog hike, and I actually felt better afterwards. We even scared up a buck, which gave the dogs something to chase. I've been relaxing the rest of the day and my muscles are stiffening up something awful.

Hmmm. Maybe some whiskey will help…

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads