JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd honestly be more worried about the room I'm in, than the room a stranger is in. Thick heavy blankets, tile or some sort of scrap plywood would probably be your best bet.

I highly recommend 1/4" of 6AL 4 V Titanium I have seen 1/16" Ti stop a point blank 9mm round. So a 1/4" should cover anything up to a hunting rifle round.

A while ago I went down an internet rabbit hole about homemade armor and bullet-proofing materials. One key takeaway I learned was having different materials and densities was most successful at stopping bullets. For example, combining ceramic tile, steel sheet (not AR500, cheap stuff), and thick rubber (i.e. horse stall mats) was highly effective at stopping all handgun rounds and many common rifle rounds. If I were to try to DIY bulletprooof my walls, I would use this approach and do 5 layers:
  • Ceramic tile
  • Steel sheet
  • Rubber
  • Steel sheet
  • Ceramic tile
That way ballistic protection is doubled and works from both directions. It probably won't be reliable enough to stop big stuff like .300 Win Mag or .50 BMG, but it'll work fine for most common bullets used in firefights (pistol calibers, .223, 7.62x39, etc.) I'll dig up the video links and post them here along with thicknesses and other details when I get off work.

Great thread OP!

I highly recommend 1/4" of 6AL 4 V Titanium I have seen 1/16" Ti stop a point blank 9mm round. So a 1/4" should cover anything up to a hunting rifle round.
i dunno bout that.. google "shooting titanium"

i looked into it as a light weight plate option, concluded it isnt one.

---

op - could fill the walls with sand, for a cheap and relatively easy way to turn that wall into cover. id strongly recommend layering some kind of substrate in with it tho.... even a strip of canvas every few inches would drastically help carry the load, but i dont know how practical that would be, trying to get it situated in there and the sand evenly packed over it from a tiny hole up toward the ceiling (so one isnt pulling all the sheet rock off and bubblegum)

any pourable loose aggregate youd want to fill the wall up with will put hundreds of lbs of pressure on the sheetrock, it needs layering to keep it from bulging or even potentially just stripping the sheetrock off the studs

you could also just look at it from an odds-standpoint...

what are the odds youll be shooting at someone in front of the wall? pretty goddamn low

then, what are the odds any rounds would make it through all walls and out the house? entirely possible, sure, but probably no worse than 50/50, depending on what youre shooting

then, what are the odds those rounds would find another, innocent, person out there? drastically lower than the odds of rounds escaping the house...

when you layer up all these odds on top of odds, you realize while the possibility of getting into a gunfight in your hallway might be like 1:50,000 (uneducated guess), how many times would you need to get into a gunfight before stray rounds left the premises, and then how many on top of all that before a round found a neighbor?

we're probably up in the 1:billions type odds at that point

anywho... when i thought about it like that, i stopped worrying about armoring the walls of my house

If you shot a 9mm short barrel PCC you wouldn't have the problem with over penetration. Stop running 556, 7.62 or 300 blackout as your home defense. I doubt the people who brake into your house are going to be trained assassins with body armor. If they are you can always up the fire power!

Were they used like gang nail plate or actual shingles?
Shingled over each other. I used to see roadside huts in Vietnam done that way. When done with imagination, they were all the same brand, like Carling's Black Label. All faced the same direction. Being as beer and soup cans are much smaller than typical three tab comp, they are a lot more labor intensive.

During the Vietnam war, Carling's Black Label was the least popular beer but for that reason, also the easiest to get. The contracting officers for the exchange system must've had relatives in the company or owned stock to keep buying the least popular brand. Or maybe they got the best deal on it. Carlings was still canned in steel cans, maybe that's why it was popular with locals for roofing. Easier to desconstruct a steel can than aluminum.

I think Budweiser might've been the most popular beer in VN. Coors was still a regional beer, wasn't available through the PX system. Guys would have relatives mail them a six pack. One can of Coors was worth a dollar or more. When money was more valuable. My pay in 1969 started at $112 a month as a private soldier. We were only paid once a month, for some soldiers money got real scarce toward the end of one. That's when spend-thrift soldiers would be selling off their stuff for cents on a dollar just for cigarette money. "Can I bum a smoke?" Heard that a few times. You could buy a $50 radio for $5 or $10, still have one of them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top