JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My bedroom is at the end off a hallway. From there, I have a direct line of sight to the top of the stairs. Is there something I can put in the wall without having to brace the floor that will minimize over penetration? It is a 2x4 framed wall, and the living room behind it is about 15 feed wide, then an exterior wall. I would hate to be in a defensive use scenario and put my neighbors at risk.

Roof decking
Available in different thicknesses
Then be smart about choosing your weapon.
Rifles and pistols with ball ammo are off the table.

I've used standard decking and Lock Deck.
Lock Deck is by far the easiest to install.

Bodies.

825DFA7E-FE31-4B32-B2F5-D9551FB466F2.jpeg

Inside the wall could put phone books or paper, layers of Kevlar sheets or fire blankets left loose enough apart to move a little when hit…exterior maybe paint with a flexible or Kevlar imbedded paint (Bedliner)…tile or stonework like mentioned might work if you didn't use too thick of materials don't want ricochets 😂

Inside the wall could put phone books or paper, layers of Kevlar sheets or fire blankets left loose enough apart to move a little when hit…exterior maybe paint with a flexible or Kevlar imbedded paint (Bedliner)…tile or stonework like mentioned might work if you didn't use too thick of materials don't want ricochets 😂
I like the way you think.

LineX the whole Damm house.

Check on scrap materials at a building site, you might find some free sheet goods for beefing up that wall. Or try Habitat for Humanity, they get all kinds of weird stuff donated to them. Or if you can't find the sheet goods, you could sandwich lengths of 2x4 between the wall studs, that would be very solid. I was out tooling around in my station wagon the other day, passed by a roofing materials business. They usually have stacks of shipping pallets out from that you may take. But yesterday, they had a long skid made of 2x4's, 92 inches long, there were 8 of them. I took them home, used a pry bar to take them apart, then drove the nails out with a hammer. Yes, they are used lumber. By code, I don't think you're allowed used lumber in construction, but good enough to go in a carport wall which is where I will use them. I'm always on the lookout for free lumber.

One of my cousins lives in a house that was built in the 1920's, it consists of mostly materials that were free at the time. Instead of drywall or plaster, the builder used 3/16 inch plywood that was originally used as packing crates. When he re-roofed the place about 20 years ago, my cousin found that at one time the roof had been gone over with flattened and cut soup cans. It's still standing to this day.

zzzz 2013-10-15 032.JPG

so surplus Kevlar body plates & AR500 target steel is out? I suppose water filled junker level gas or storage tanks are out as well?

My uncle once built 2 absolute knock-out utility/tool sheds out of surplus pallets. So well designed to fit the max dimensions of his free raw materials he didn't pay for anything other than nails & screws.

If you are interested in a bomb blanket (Kevlar) which is about 10feet by 10feet (not sure), let me know.
I've got one and might let it go for $800. These run in thousands$$$, I got it to protect a room/wall if someone is shooting up my house...but I never installed it.

Fill the empty space with sand or Pea gravel. 6" will stop most any hand gun round and will fragment most rifle rounds. I have seen most indoor ranges here have gone to shredded tire rubber as a stop berm. they say most bullets are stopped the the first couple inches.
I would build up a trial wall and test the fill before doing the actual build. The rubber garden mulch would be the lightest . Good Luck DR

You would need books also…something most modern homes don't contain.
It's a shame, too. In my old fashioned view, anyway. I've also been told not to use cursive handwriting. The words were, "why use a form of writing that nobody can read now?"

Mrs. Merkt has graduated to a Kindle in her old age, has just about given up paper books. I don't like looking at back-lit screens for reading so I'm still with paper. Beyond regular reading material, I have tons of reference books that I'd never give up. They will probably get pulped after I'm gone.

I like the bookcase, idea given room for it. One downside, the coverage might be gappy as there always seems to be some empty space at the top of shelved books. But a good bookcase with a thick back might eliminate the need to tear up a wall for reinforcing.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top