JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Refrigerators filled with books? Blue barrels filled with sand? Fat inlaws who have over stayed?
But seriously, I always wondered about making up a layered composite panel and testing it. Aluminum, neoprene, ceramic tile, plywood, or, some other combination.
Neoprene in and of itself is interesting, I have seen it used as a range backstop (chopped up scrap from a shoe maker).
Neoprene as a bullet stop was demonstrated to the shop I was at, an 18 inch box full of chopped up neoprene with a silicone membrane on one end stopped a .308, about halfway through.

If you shot a 9mm short barrel PCC you wouldn't have the problem with over penetration. Stop running 556, 7.62 or 300 blackout as your home defense. I doubt the people who brake into your house are going to be trained assassins with body armor. If they are you can always up the fire power!
This is categorically false. 9mm has as much potential of over penetration as some of the rifle cartridges mentioned. The key is to pick your hd ammo wisely no matter what cartridge you use.

Buy 8" thick laminated wood beams. Stack the beams on top of each other. That should stop any 5.55 or 9mm ball. Or find a flat sheet of 3" HDPE and use it for the wall. 3" of HDPE will absorb and stop 5.56 or 9mm ball.

Im late to the party, can the subfloor support the extra weight throughout the house depending on what materials you're using? That would be a concern of mine.

Another concern:
Phone books/used books would be a cheap source but you should probably wrap them tightly in a few layers of plastic as paper materials can be fed on by the cigarette beetle, silverfish and booklice as well as (potentially) Cockroaches and even termites (given a specific region and environment). Given enough time and with the right natural surroundings of your home (green belt/nature areas) you could have a massive population explosion and be absolutely infested. A very very costly endeavor in some cases.

It would be heavy and costly, but two panels thick of tile glued atop plywood slats between each stud (16in wide) going from 6ft (tall) down to the subfloor (or floor stud) would probably be enough to significantly slow a bullet.
Wood and two tile panels would probably be just enough to slow things down or alter the angle enough to be less lethal.
You could also glue plexiglass panels atop that with three different mediums Id assume it would drastically slow (not stop) most common use (pistol, shotgun and intermediate) rounds.

YMMV. Its an interesting thought. But a costly and time consuming one for an event statistically not worthy enough to deck out an entire house. Perhaps kids rooms, hallways or the entry way? But the entire house would mean gutting everything and rewalling/patching/insulating the whole house.. thats a project I don't envy.

Just use explosive 12 gauge slugs. They blow up inside whatever you hit so no projectile to continue on past the target. I haven't seen any evidence of them starting fires but if your worried about that u could use frangible slugs or frangible buckshot instead.

Last Edited:
I don't know about everyone else's experience with this, but I've seen MANY rounds stopped by things like fence posts, boards and other wooden items (once was at a bar I was working at, I kicked someone out and he shot through my outdoor trash area into our outdoor seating area. 3 rounds stopped by a horizontal 2x4 after passing through some 1/4 in fence panels). If you're using pretty much anything smaller than a rifle round, and your home is constructed properly and solidly, and you're using JHP, you're less likely to experience over penetration than you might think. Ball ammo is a different story, since hollow points are designed to expand to a point where they fragment and stay in a target. Wood/bricks/conduit etc are all harder than meat.
That's not to say it's not worth considering, or that you should dump a mag into your wall to see if anything hits the neighbors cat, but it's something that gets beaten to death by gun forum mall ninjas.

Last Edited:
Flex Tape!

MV5BYWNhMWUwZmUtZmEzNy00YmVmLWI3NTQtMzIyODY4MmFkMDgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MTQ3NzE4._V1_.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top