Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What are .....

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mike sr., Mar 16, 2009.

1. mike sr.

mike sr. the great tax me state: Nebr Member

The more popular rifle calibers in this area ?

Preference for Stainless or Blue steel?

2. bwells

bwells Longview Member

Personally, I prefer Blued Steel/Wood stock. But one of my next rifles will be a cera-koted synthetic for the real nasty weather. I only have two rifles for now, a 300 WM for almost everything, and a 30-30 for deer in the thick stuff. Before the next seasons roll around, I plan on getting a 45-70 and a 270 WSM.

3. buyamonkey

buyamonkey West vancouver WA Member

+1 on the 30-30 it's NW classic

also Remington 700 in 30-06 is a workhorse

I've heard lots of good stuff on the 270 lately

4. needs2hunt

needs2hunt Tacoma Wa. Member

+2 on the 30/30 in the thick stuff, and a 30/06 has always been a workhorse...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

5. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

.22lr .223 7.62X39mm 9mm .40 .45 I didn't know there were other options.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  6. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

again on the 30-30. perfect deer gun for our area since a 100 yd or less shot is all you will ever get in most areas. .223 is a popular varmint and yote caliber. Even deer. beyond that I shoot alot of .22

7. mike sr.

mike sr. the great tax me state: Nebr Member

I would have bet for your area:

1) Stainlss more popular that Blue!

2) Synthetic stock's more pratical than Wood!

3) most 30 caliber rifles up from 308!

4) Suprised but not suprised at the thutty-thutty following...!!!!

8. bwells

bwells Longview Member

Stainless/synthetic would be an advantage, but I like the feel of a good walnut stock. If I get caught out in heavy rain, I know I'll have to dry and oil it at night. Not a big deal. 30's are popular, lots of guys using the '06, and the WM and WSM are popular too. A couple of my buddies use 338's for elk. What's not to love about the 30-30? They're still relatively cheap, ammo is relatively cheap, and they're perfect for shots up to 100 yards, which is about all we get around here. Plus they're light and and short, which is nice in the brush.

9. swwjeff

swwjeff Fort Vancouver, USA Active Member

Kinda funny when one of these threads come up everone loves the 30-30, but not so much love for the 7.62x39 when it comes up. Seems like it's a great round since it's still fairly cheap, and as was said most shots will be under 100 yrds.

I guess it's sorta like all the folks that ho-hum the 9mm but think a .38 is a great carry rnd. I prefer my kel-tek's 11 rnds to my s&w snubby's 5.

Just a thought.

10. bwells

bwells Longview Member

7.62 may be good for deer. I don't know, because I've never used one. One of the reasons I like the 30-30 so much is the rifles that are chambered for it.

11. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

I have a couple 270's for hunting... Will do just fine for any critter in Oregon that one would eat.:)