JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is that a euphemism for something else? Pelvic shots are pretty devastating.

Stay away from gimmick-y ammo. Check out the Lucky Gunner tests linked above, they're fairly comprehensive. I personally default to the heaviest Federal HST (as a starting point) available in a given caliber with (I think) 90gr fitting that bill in a .380.

As stated before, run about 200 rounds of FMJ through it for functionality first. Then make sure your chosen SD ammo works in the gun and ALL magazines... any hiccups should be resolved to 100% or move on to another brand, weight, or composition.

Not all guns like the same ammo. Some will eat everything. I believe your S&W will fall into the latter category... they're pretty ironed-out.
No.

In my .380 I use federal Hydra shok low recoil rounds, because with a small pistol like the lcp (the .380 I occasionally carry), you get more recoil than you would expect, and follow up shots are paramount in a situation where you are using a firearm defensively.

flipping the clip button

I'm going to apologize ahead for making this comment... But FWIW "flipping the clip button" can get you snickered at... "pressing the mag release" will get you respect. I get your being a newbie, wouldn't want to discourage by being too critical, but using proper terms is a good thing when interacting with experienced gunners.

I've seen #4 bird shot recommended by more than one "supposed to know it" guy for in home defense. I think that's a decent choice. As long as the user doesn't have the mindset that a shotgun "throws pellets everywhere" and actually takes aim to make a solid hit on a bad guy, I'll bet anything in a shell 2 3/4" or longer will take the fight right out of him.

I have mine for outdoor use, so I alternate between 00 Buck and slugs.

I also have my 12ga rigged for yard/perimeter defense with buck and slugs. If I was going to use it inside the house, I might choose smaller buck for long hallways, big open great rooms, but if I had close neighbors or apt or kids in other bedrooms I would be going with shot size that is not going to pass thru several walls. Any shot size above #9.... 8 is going to still be devastating at 6', #6 is better, #4 should be good to go in most homes.

I don't have a favorite brand for shotgun ammo in standard shot size and buckshot. Note that highbase express buck loads can be quite punishing to practice with. Hunting loads in smaller shot size should be easier. Target loads in #8 are easiest.

Last Edited:
Maybe it was mentioned earlier here and if I'm honest I'm too lazy to look.....

What model .380?

Edit: Maybe not so much lazy but more like multitasking.....

I use these in my little colt. Plenty of poop and they are environmentally friendly. :D:D:D

full.jpg

I'm going to apologize ahead for making this comment... But FWIW "flipping the clip button" can get you snickered at... "pressing the mag release" will get you respect. I get your being a newbie, wouldn't want to discourage by being too critical, but using proper terms is a good thing when interacting with experienced gunners.

I also have my 12ga rigged for yard/perimeter defense with buck and slugs. If I was going to use it inside the house, I might choose smaller buck for long hallways, big open great rooms, but if I had close neighbors or apt or kids in other bedrooms I would be going with shot size that is not going to pass thru several walls. Any shot size above #9.... 8 is going to still be devastating at 6', #6 is better, #4 should be good to go in most homes.

I don't have a favorite brand for shotgun ammo in standard shot size and buckshot. Note that highbase express buck loads can be quite punishing to practice with. Hunting loads in smaller shot size should be easier. Target loads in #8 are easiest.
I am a newbie and just learning so anyone not being understanding can take that somewhere else or be ignored. I understand learning the proper terms and I will learn those as I go along. I just moved here from Hong Kong last year in July and have been out of the country since 2003 and new to Washington state. I do not know anyone in this area who knows guns and right now my knowledge is based on the one class I took and terminology that I am picking up here. Given that knowledge I am sure you can understand why exactly I used the wrong terminology. Thanks for the clarification and the snickering individuals can snicker all they want because I will continue to do me and I am not bothered by the opinions of children who think the learning of a beginner is so humorous.

Thanks for the advice. I got two different types of ammo for the shotgun and just one for the 380 but just got some more that will be delivered whenever considering everywhere is experiencing high volume of customers.

I am a newbie and just learning so anyone not being understanding can take that somewhere else or be ignored. I understand learning the proper terms and I will learn those as I go along. I just moved here from Hong Kong last year in July and have been out of the country since 2003 and new to Washington state. I do not know anyone in this area who knows guns and right now my knowledge is based on the one class I took and terminology that I am picking up here. Given that knowledge I am sure you can understand why exactly I used the wrong terminology. Thanks for the clarification and the snickering individuals can snicker all they want because I will continue to do me and I am not bothered by the opinions of children who think the learning of a beginner is so humorous.

Thanks for the advice. I got two different types of ammo for the shotgun and just one for the 380 but just got some more that will be delivered whenever considering everywhere is experiencing high volume of customers.

Well, pretty sure @bbbass was just trying to help and I do understand that being "new" can be a bit frustrating at times but your "children" comment isn't the greatest way to respond.

Joining and posting on a forum about a subject you are trying to learn requires a bit of humbleness and a little less chip on your shoulder.

You're new. We've all been there.

Follow on comment:

It's difficult in writing to figure out just where people are coming from... I get that. I'm having a problem with deciding if your entire first paragraph was aimed at me, or at any members that might snicker at your terminology.

If that rant was all for me, it seems a bit off tone, given my offense, my effort to take a risk and be helpful, and comes off to me as being passive aggressive.

If intended to get others to not give you any guff, I understand. Kinda ballsy for a newbie tho IMO. You've earned my respect if not my enmity.

Just know that although I am not the most tactful person, I tried to be. I wanted to give you a heads up. I care about how people might perceive you... and yes, we do chuckle at newbies... it's human nature, no offense intended.

I was going to write something about having a sense of humor, but what the hell do I know?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top