JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suppose beyond the two possible issues of the cause, a person could say a 3rd issue is how the gun breaks -as Reno, RVtech, and others discussed above. Kind of like a Volvo (and all modern cars) with crumple zones engineered into the design vs. a 1963 Buick without much engineering thought for crashworthiness/occupant safety (beyond pure bulk ha ha).

One thing I will say is I'm amazed at how many pistol kaboom reports we see where there is little or no damage to the shooter. Pistol rounds of course but still I think many of these designs do really well at breaking in a way that protects people (from what I have seen reported anyway). Reports on NWFA come to mind, H&K, S and W semi-auto. Also in the same thread as the S and W one reports of both a Sig and Glock kabooming with the same brand of ammo. Just what I have seen, I definitely have not studied examples from all over...

Last Edited:
as my righteous gun dude Rex points out, it wasn't the guns fault. it was the ammo.
you CANT shoot a sabot'ed round out of ANY muzzle break unless its specifically made for that round.
as he explains below in the excellent video below. the pedals of the sabot discarded inside the muzzle break and therefore basically made it a bore obstruction. at least im pretty certain that's what hes getting at.

really glad hes ok, i woulda been a goner! (did i spell that right? :s0108:)
remember always "go by the book" - George Carlin

it wasn't the guns fault. it was the ammo.
I agree after watching the video and because of this it also makes the shooter partially at fault if he was unaware of the warning not to shoot SABOT ammo in a rifle with a muzzle brake.

And I wish supposed 'gun authorities' would pronounce SABOT correctly as 'SAY - BOW - and not as 'SAW - BOW'. Heck I have even heard it pronounced phonetically as ' SAY - BUT'

So 50BMG working pressure is 50K-55K PSI, depending on the source. That means the gun should be proofed at 75K-82.5K PSI with no harm to the gun. If 85K PSI can blow the gun apart that's a piss-poor safety factor!!

I agree after watching the video and because of this it also makes the shooter partially at fault if he was unaware of the warning not to shoot SABOT ammo in a rifle with a muzzle brake.

And I wish supposed 'gun authorities' would pronounce SABOT correctly as 'SAY - BOW - and not as 'SAW - BOW'. Heck I have even heard it pronounced phonetically as ' SAY - BUT'

LOL, just because no branch of the U.S. Military knows how to pronounce it doesn't mean they're right. It's pronounced suh-BOH. It originates in Europe. If it sounds like a French or Belgian pronunciation, there's a reason. It meant shoe originally, a wooden shoe made of a single piece of wood.

LOL, just because no branch of the U.S. Military knows how to pronounce it doesn't mean they're right. It's pronounced suh-BOH. It originates in Europe. If it sounds like a French or Belgian pronunciation, there's a reason. It meant shoe originally, a wooden shoe made of a single piece of wood.
he references that in the video. i cant figure out though why hes saying it wrong and telling everyone else their saying it wrong? maybe hes getting old? happens to the best of us.
(especially the worst of us.. Joek im looking in your direction!)

So 50BMG working pressure is 50K-55K PSI, depending on the source. That means the gun should be proofed at 75K-82.5K PSI with no harm to the gun. If 85K PSI can blow the gun apart that's a piss-poor safety factor!!

And THERE'S the problem.

Apart from the SAAMI data, which is NOT regulatory, there are NO standards of gun or ammunition proof in the entire USA.

No Federal/national proof house.

No state proof houses.

Zero.

The UK has two such locations - in Birmingham and London.

Germany has TWELVE - one in each of the former states/palatinates.

The CIP data is not only regulatory, but it is written into the common LAW of each country who signs up to it. So far, there are fourteen nations signed up.

As the USA has no formalised proof, every single gun made in the USA has to be proofed on arrival into any of the CIP signaturee nations before it can be sold to the public.

However, there is no regulating what the owner of a gun puts into it, except common sense.

And THERE'S the problem.

Apart from the SAAMI data, which is NOT regulatory, there are NO standards of gun or ammunition proof in the entire USA.

No state proof houses.

Zero.

The CIP data is not only regulatory, but it is written into the common LAW of each country who signs up to it. So far, there are fourteen nations signed up.

As the USA has no formalised proof, every single gun made in the USA has to be proofed on arrival into any of the CIP signaturee nations before it can be sold to the public.

However, there is no regulating what the owner of a gun puts into it, except common sense.
Huh interesting, never thought about it. But something in the back of my mind was kinda liking CIP over SAAMI.
I cant even remember why but i know YEARS ago i heard something about someone working as a agent in one of the european proof houses doing copyright work and licensing.
I have known for a while that CIP was a more stringent standard (im sure im going to catch hell from some for sayin' it) i think they use higher pressure if i remember?

Certainly not an the expert and want more time to read about the differences.

And THERE'S the problem.

No state proof houses.

Zero.

I did not know this about the USA.

Thank you for the information!

Take care.

Cate

I did not know this about the USA.

Thank you for the information!

Take care.

Cate

I guess that if you've never ever had to deal with, that gives you an excuse not to know anything about it.

Note that if that US-made gun has multiple chambers - like any revolver - each chamber is tested individually. If one fails, the whole gun fails. I had many US-made revolvers - obviously they had all passed proof, Still got a few, de-activated, of course. Lemme see if I can post a pic of the back end of the cylinder to show you.

What I don't understand is how can claims about the ammo being too hot ever be clearly shown to be correct? A barrel obstruction such as due to chamber or muzzle break issue is going to cause an over pressure situation so how do they differentiate the cause being due to ammo problem vs. chamber/muzzle break problem? Especially with the manufacturer saying that it's unsafe to shoot that same round in the gun with a standard barrel.

A bore obstruction at the muzzle is very different from a bore obstruction close to the chamber. At the muzzle it typically ruptures the end of the barrel, rather than catastrophic failure at the chamber.

I'm not a gunsmith or expert in any way, but seeing it explode the way it did indicates to me that it wasn't a sabot plugging the end of the barrel.

I've heard of some hunting rifle brands....specifically Tikka...that pressure test their chambers to 100k PSI. It might be complete BS, I heard it like 3rd or 4th hand. Even still, 85k PSI doesn't seem THAT extreme to cause such an explosion. I don't know......the 85k he said isn't even twice the "standard". Am I off base here?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top