JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been having some chambering issues with a couple AR's I have put together. Does anyone have a go/nogo guage set in 223 and/or 308 I could rent or borrow? I'll even give a full price deposit, I'd just need them for a night or two. I really don't want to spend $200 just to have them sit in a drawer lost somewhere. I have been a long time member with lots of positive feedback, always been reliable if that helps. Thank you!

Mods- if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it.

Single gauges are $35-50 on Amazon. To buy a gauge is probably cheaper than rental +(postage x 2). Or buy, use, and sell it.

Bruce

Single gauges are $35-50 on Amazon. To buy a gauge is probably cheaper than rental +(postage x 2). Or buy, use, and sell it.

Bruce
I agree but I'm looking to use the two gauge set so I can get a baseline on the chambering issues. The bolt doesn't close the entire way on multiple rifles with factory ammo of multiple manufacturers, almost like the buffer springs are too weak, but I've swapped lots of different springs with heavier rates as well as different buffer weights only to have the same issues appear time and time again. I want to use a known measurement to eliminate this one possibility. I think I'm going to order a set just to have on hand.

Just use a factory cartridge as a go gauge. I have no go/field/max gauges in several chamberings. Should have a .308 somewhere I think

Edit: found it. It's a forster no-go .308/.243

Last Edited:
Oregon Rifle Works used to check headspace on your ARs for free. They may still -- they're good folk there.
I'd have to look around, but I do have a 308 gauge. I just buy the "GO" gauge and put cellophane tape over the head to make it a "NO GO".

I just ordered a Forster set for 223, hopefully it'll tell me something about the issues in these guns. If someone wants to mail a 308 set, I'd gladly PP some $$ for shipping and deposit.

I have used the old "full length size" gauge as a go, and the no go is the same with 3 layers of painter's tape. My go-to FFL was putting a 375 ham'r together- my homemade gauge was the same as his factory go-no go gauge. Hope it helps you.

If nobody comes through:
At your own risk. I've tried both 4D and elk ridge (rearmerrentals) in the past... and both had issues. The gauges were pretty battle worn and had clearly been ground/filed half to death. Likely an attempt to keep them "clean" and smooth removing defects from previous hard use(?) One set was so rough I didn't even try and chamber it out of fear it would scrape the heck out of it.

For me it just boiled down to a trust issue. That badly worn and worked over... can you really trust the gauge?

I would call around to local shops for a reasonable charge or buy my own and resell them. The rental places... by the time you pay for the rental and shipping both ways... you coulda just knocked that 20 bucks off the set you bought new and found them a new home in the classifieds.

At your own risk. I've tried both 4D and elk ridge (rearmerrentals) in the past... and both had issues. The gauges were pretty battle worn and had clearly been ground/filed half to death. Likely an attempt to keep them "clean" and smooth removing defects from previous hard use(?) One set was so rough I didn't even try and chamber it out of fear it would scrape the heck out of it.

For me it just boiled down to a trust issue. That badly worn and worked over... can you really trust the gauge?

I would call around to local shops for a reasonable charge or buy my own and resell them. The rental places... by the time you pay for the rental and shipping both ways... you coulda just knocked that 20 bucks off the set you bought new and found them a new home in the classifieds.
I've used ReamerRentals several times. All were in perfect condition.

I've used ReamerRentals several times. All were in perfect condition.
Maybe they've gotten better over the years after a multitude of complaints of rough gauges(?) :D

3D... the main issue was a nearly 6 week wait as there where people in line ahead of me and a pretty good gouge in the edge of the head on one. Like someone had slammed it with their extractor still in place.

I just received a very generous offer from a member here to meet up at the Rickreall show this weekend. I may even get out to work setting up his booth as I offered my services. This place is the best.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews