JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Merciful Heavens. This is supposed to be a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be fun, not kill you. The bigger the ordnance, the bigger the potential boom.

That guy has suffered some serious injuries. Good luck to him.

Well..... Dang. Definitely makes me feel better that most of my .50 can't to me in a sealed ammo can marked LC.

I wonder if there were 2 more complete threads on that cap, would destruction have been avoided? Just a totally seized rifle

Well..... Dang. Definitely makes me feel better that most of my .50 can't to me in a sealed ammo can marked LC.

I wonder if there were 2 more complete threads on that cap, would destruction have been avoided? Just a totally seized rifle

I think a well designed bolt would have been stronger. The bolt on my AR50 was massive, as were the lugs and bolt handle, and the receiver.

I think a well designed bolt would have been stronger. The bolt on my AR50 was massive, as were the lugs and bolt handle, and the receiver.
The "bolt" on my ULR 50 has massive lugs as well.

1619758384387.png

Just saw the video. He's lucky, if he was by himself he would have not made it. Pretty bad accident, I have been following his channel since he only had a few hundered subscribers.

Always be prepared for the worst. Have quickclot and lots of gauze already in my medkit for when I go shooting. Not sure how someone woud have handeled the "thumb" situation like that by themself!?

Just saw the video. He's lucky, if he was by himself he would have not made it. Pretty bad accident, I have been following his channel since he only had a few hundered subscribers.

Always be prepared for the worst. Have quickclot and lots of gauze already in my medkit for when I go shooting. Not sure how someone woud have handeled the "thumb" situation like that by themself!?
In a Stop the Bleed class I took recently they told us that ER people hate quickclot. They said carry a big roll of gauze and just keep stuffing it into the hole until no more will fit. Cover and wrap if possible. If there's no way to pack the wound, quickclot is certainly better than nothing, but when you get to the ER they are going to have to remove it, and that gets really messy.

In a Stop the Bleed class I took recently they told us that ER people hate quickclot. They said carry a big roll of gauze and just keep stuffing it into the hole until no more will fit. Cover and wrap if possible. If there's no way to pack the wound, quickclot is certainly better than nothing, but when you get to the ER they are going to have to remove it, and that gets really messy.
Well still better than bleeding out in the woods. I'm not looking to make their job "easier" in such situation, my first thought would be to stay alive with whatever means neccessary.

I can tell you, from my explosion, seconds matter. Scott likely saved his own life knowing to wrap up his thumb and shove it in his neck.

People help too. I was surrounded by them when my incident happened and that likely would of saved my life had I been more critically injured. Not to bash my wife, but having others that were not loved ones helped me a lot. Scott's dad was very calm and definitely aided in helping him stay alive. My wife was a mess. Especially considering my nose was sliced into two pieces and I had a 3" shard of glass sticking out of my forehead, I don't blame her, but I was grateful others were around to assist with first aid and haul arse to the hospital.

Having certain first aid stuff readily available is nice, but shooting with people and having a little bit of knowledge (or a lot) on first aid is likely what saved his life. I don't shoot alone much anymore, and I tend to go to TCGC if possible over the woods. I have a bunch of readily available first aid and trauma supplies now. They are with me when I go shooting, not in the car etc.

Be safe, be prepared! Life comes out of nowhere!

Yes, having been a first responder, I can say being as calm as possible, but still acting to help, is very important.

When we were in training the experienced crew would yell and act excited to see how the trainees responded to high stress situations. There were a number of missions I was on where some of the crew, including a qualified coxswain, did not make good decisions and/or somewhat froze in a stressful situation. It isn't about courage, it is about training, keeping your wits about you and not panicking. I have usually been able to do that more or less naturally when in a bad situation.

The bigger the ordnance, the bigger the potential boom.
Very true however but it appears he broke the 'cardinal rule' of NOT shooting reloads, or in this case potentially very dangerous ammo of unknown origin (as per his own words in the video)

I paraphrased a portion of his description of the ammo from the video.

'What I didn't know was the SLAP round I put in the gun was extra, extra hot, and there is really no way for me to ever know, these rounds are extremely rare, and over $100 per, and really no way to ever know this round was as hot as it was, and I was under the impression these were genuine military rounds etc.'

I am sorry for his injuries however he should have been a bit 'smarter' about this and maybe used a rest with a 'string pull' for the trigger from a safe distance - like I have seen in similar videos of people testing or experimenting with unknown loads.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews