JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unbelievable how many state officials are willing to jump on the bandwagon for regulating knowledge despite the fact we have a First Amendment. If they win, America will land become the land of "See Dick Run" lowest common denominator pablum --- there isn't anything that can't offend someone's sensibilities and as a lefty myself, I wish these people who pretend to be liberals would stop acting like authoritarians. I guess I need some distinguishing monicker over "lefty", but as an example, lets say someone figured out a nice safe brew-at-home tea made with readily available legal ingredients that works like the morning after pill. Certainly states like Alabama would use any precedent set here on the 3D file issue to restrain distribution of such knowledge. It's so obvious that restraints on speech turn the narrative from "is this Constitutional" to "who is in power" that I can't fathom this push. If Trump's election is any message at all to centrist Democrats, it ought to be that "you can totally lose so don't create any powers you don't want aimed at yourself."

3BC8D9D7-408D-4F99-856D-F111111901AC.jpeg

And of course they have nothing better to do than to waste the taxpayers money and time instead of focusing on more pressing problems ie: homeless problem, illegal immigrants, etc....... :mad:

Here's a link to Ferguson's complaint. https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4622337/01-Complaint.pdf

I'm currently reading through it -- paragraph 37 on page 13 is an amazing piece of misinformation -- it's the sort of thing only a person who has zero experience with 3D printers would ever believe:

37. Defense Distributed described these CAD files as "essentially blueprints that can be read by CAD software." As the Federal Government stated in a court filing in April 2018, these files are "indispensable to a three-dimensional ('3-D') printing process used to create firearms and their components." All a user would need to do is connect to a 3-D printer, download the CAD files, and enter a print command, in order to create a real, functional weapon within hours or minutes.

The unbolded second sentence is bunk. Anyone can sit down with a piece of CAD software and design their own stuff -- it isn't "indispensable" to have the files -- it is merely convenient. What is indispensable is the CAD software itself, but I don't see these AGs trying torpedo an entire industry over that fact.

The bolded part though is a flat out lie. Getting a successful print involves a huge number of variables and compromises and all but the smallest things take many hours. For example, I print loading blocks for the various calibers I reload - my 9mm block which is a whopping 5.8" long, 2.5" wide, and 0.5" thick, runs about 3.5 hours at a low resolution (0.25mm layer height) -- doing a high resolution job (0.1mm layer height) bumps that up to 8hrs, 21 minutes. You could make dozens out of plywood in the time it takes me to print one. And compared to a gun (which is too big to even fit on the bed of my particular printer), the loading block is a much smaller and simpler item. Dealing with layer separation, edge curl, overhang, or bed adhesion with complicated shapes is not a trivial task.

Then there is the fact that printed items have a serious structural weakness at every layer -- the layers are the weakest point and so the piece must be oriented in such a way that the layer edges receive the least amount of stress -- kind of like how it is easy to split a piece of wood into kindling by using an ax with the grain, but you aren't making any thing but chips if you chop against the grain. By the very nature of the build process, 3D parts have this issue with grain and different parts of a gun are going to need to be printed differently to avoid placing high stress on weak points. In other words, you don't just press "print" like you do with a cease and desist letter, and then pick it up from a laserjet output tray.

Whatever -- that description is the Star Trek fantasy version of what 3D printing is really like. Shocking to see it as a legal argument.

They don't understand that the current generation of regular 3d printers are unable durable barrels or pressure bearing assemblies. To my knowledge no one has yet to create a fully function semi-auto firearm entirely out of conventionally 3d printed parts (examples have been made on metal 3d printers that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars)...

They don't understand that the current generation of regular 3d printers are unable durable barrels or pressure bearing assemblies. To my knowledge no one has yet to create a fully function semi-auto firearm entirely out of conventionally 3d printed parts (examples have been made on metal 3d printers that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars)...
They don't CARE. Facts are irrelevant to these ulcerated, syphilitic dicks, only agenda and keeping the masses suppressed, scared out of their minds and bent over and grabbing ankles on demand.

People are citing possibilities as the issue when there are actual issues to focus on. The event of being shot with a rifle is small. The event of being shot with a 3D printed rifle is even smaller.

These politicians are like my dog with a chew toy. They never think about it until their master throws it and says, go get it boy.

Chris Cox from NRA released a statement concerning that untraceable guns are illegal and have been since 1988.
The National Rifle Association had to point out Tuesday that any untraceable gun is outlawed in reference to the recent legal settlement that will allow for the blueprints on how to print and set up a gun from a 3D printer to be available to the public.
Djdg3PbXoAE58wR?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

To be perfectly clear, Defense Distributed is not selling, giving away, loaning, or distributing any guns at all. That's the media narrative (and a message Cody likes to use to troll the media with). Rather, DD is releasing data, the modern equivalent to printed instructional books or schematic drawings, things clearly protected by the 1A (how else could there be gunsmithing schools if not for such protected speech).

So in that context, I'm not 100% clear about the the meaning or intent of the NRA's statement above especially when taken in conjunction with Trump's tweet on the issue today:
Screenshot from 2018-07-31 20-02-44.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads